collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Garfield County dump eyed for pheasant farm to seed fields  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Re: Garfield County dump eyed for pheasant farm to seed fields
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »
Awesome

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
I hope it takes off and they keeping going for a while.  :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
I guess the real positive was the mention of habitat enhancement in the article. Other than some very short term, right after release, hunting benefit, those pen raised birds will do little to solve the pheasant shortage. Study after study points to habitat enhancement being the key. The uninformed/misinformed hunting public think dumping more pen raised birds (to feed the coyotes) will result in a regrowth of the wild pheasant population.

The elephant in the room is the overuse/misuse of nasty herbicides by agri-business. "Oh no they wouldn't sell those chemicals if they were bad for us" (my retired grain elevator manager neighbor).  Living in a small town and right next to a riparian creek environment, I am (was) fortunate to have a very large flock of Ca. quail across the street. One day I watched my herbicide addicted neighbor don his chem-backpack; walk across the street and spray his gravel parking area for weeds. Within 10 minutes his wife (who loves to watch the quail and pheasants from their home's picture window) is out scattering bird seed over the gravel...Guess what?...I have not seen a quail or pheasant since. Both these elderly people are very nice people, but possess a near child-like naivite about  the dangers of herbicides.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 12:01:35 PM »
OUTSTANDING!
This is the sort of thing I've advocated for years, since I was back at F&H News in the 1980s. 

:tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline dfresh96

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
I guess the real positive was the mention of habitat enhancement in the article. Other than some very short term, right after release, hunting benefit, those pen raised birds will do little to solve the pheasant shortage. Study after study points to habitat enhancement being the key. The uninformed/misinformed hunting public think dumping more pen raised birds (to feed the coyotes) will result in a regrowth of the wild pheasant population.

The elephant in the room is the overuse/misuse of nasty herbicides by agri-business. "Oh no they wouldn't sell those chemicals if they were bad for us" (my retired grain elevator manager neighbor).  Living in a small town and right next to a riparian creek environment, I am (was) fortunate to have a very large flock of Ca. quail across the street. One day I watched my herbicide addicted neighbor don his chem-backpack; walk across the street and spray his gravel parking area for weeds. Within 10 minutes his wife (who loves to watch the quail and pheasants from their home's picture window) is out scattering bird seed over the gravel...Guess what?...I have not seen a quail or pheasant since. Both these elderly people are very nice people, but possess a near child-like naivite about  the dangers of herbicides.
As a licensed pesticide & herbicide applicator its alarming how much overuse & general lack of knowledge is out there..most vendors dont even check for a license for purchase & lets not mention the unqualified workers at most Homedepots or lowes...
Go Hawks

Spot & Stalk

Trust ur Camo

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr