collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: North central mule deer  (Read 27905 times)

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
North central mule deer
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
Talked to a biologist today about the condition of our mule deer herds in and around north central part of the state and he said the outlook is not looking very good again this year. He said fawn to doe numbers are way down again. I was hoping to hear that things are slowly rebounding over there. A hard winter probably didn't help much either.
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
Re: North central mule deer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
Over here in Eastern Washington I am seeing mulie does with 1-3 fawns everyday to and from work.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
Over here in Eastern Washington I am seeing mulie does with 1-3 fawns everyday to and from work.

That's good to hear, what part of the state? This was just referring to okanogan/methow area.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Talked to a biologist today about the condition of our mule deer herds in and around north central part of the state and he said the outlook is not looking very good again this year. He said fawn to doe numbers are way down again. I was hoping to hear that things are slowly rebounding over there. A hard winter probably didn't help much either.

I am seeing the same thing Martinhunter, numbers are dismall in the Methow, the worst I have seen in 25 to 30 years. I to have talked to some fish and game guys who also said the same as what you were told. I'm hearing another 3 to 5 years :dunno:. I think tgomez is in the Spokane area :dunno:

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »

I am seeing the same thing Martinhunter, numbers are dismall in the Methow, the worst I have seen in 25 to 30 years. I to have talked to some fish and game guys who also said the same as what you were told. I'm hearing another 3 to 5 years :dunno:. I think tgomez is in the Spokane area :dunno:

Yeah that's too bad.. I think another 3-5 years at the rate it's going the whole damn herd will be wiped out.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the WDFW Hunting Prospects says about the Methow valley mule deer herd this year.

Personally I think many GMU's should be closed to deer hunting for at least two or three years. It's asinine to continue hunting a deer herd that has been almost entirely wiped out.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
 :yeah: I couldn't agree more.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the WDFW Hunting Prospects says about the Methow valley mule deer herd this year.

Personally I think many GMU's should be closed to deer hunting for at least two or three years. It's asinine to continue hunting a deer herd that has been almost entirely wiped out.

I 100% agree, it is truly sad whats going on in the Methow as far as deer numbers go (I can't speak for the other areas that have taken a beating, only the area I am familiar with). For those of us that have been kicking around in this valley for 30, 40, 50+ years it is a shame what this herd has become :'(, I guess you needed to be around back then to see how sad it really is.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
As far as the Departments "projections", I,m sure they will be stellar, got to sell those tags. I too wish they would shut the Methow down for a few years, then open it up to draw only! :twocents:...Let me have it!

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »
 :twocents:
I am not so keen on the idea of shutting it down, Why?  Will just create more pressure in other areas....most of which the deer numbers are well below normal too.  :twocents:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:11:09 PM »
:twocents:
I am not so keen on the idea of shutting it down, Why?  Will just create more pressure in other areas....most of which the deer numbers are well below normal too.  :twocents:

I can respect that, then at least for the Methow, leave it open but go to draw only immediately. The pressure in the units within this valley is hammering this herd as well as fires, tough winters and encroachment on habitat. I have mentioned it before that this herd is a mere shadow of what it once was. The amount of people hunting it has skyrocketed, the human population and encroachment has increased along with a booming predator issue, someone(WDFW) needs to step up and do something or the future of hunting in this valley is dismal I'm afraid. :twocents:

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
It is nothing like it used to be, hasn't been for years! That area is where my mule deer dreams began and it's sad to see what it has become.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 08:20:12 AM »
I wonder how much of this is caused by the intrusion of more whitetails into the area. When I was a kid we would see a few whitetail every season. Now, especially in lower elevations, at least half the deer I see are whitetail.

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »
Just a thought,
I have always harped on the WDFW being "all about the money"
Back in 1999 I sent a letter to Mark Quinn, Regional Wildlife Program Manager. I said I thought the 3pt min. rule was great, his response was a surprise. He said he was very much against it.
He wrote, in 1997 the WDFW started the 3 point antler restriction, they also shortened the season from 14 days to 9 days, that was the shortest since 1945. In 1997 they had the lowest ever turnout in Okanogan county, it went from 22,000 to 8000.(did I say money) That drop in pressure alone would create great hunting, for awhile.
In 1998 WDFW ran an "Emphasis Patrol" on the Gardner 231 unit looking at illegal(less than 3 pts) Gardner was 3 pt since 1983. The illegal Kill rate was 17%, multiply that times all the 3 pt. areas. And some went on to shoot another deer!
So, Whats the answer? not sure, but it sure points to shorter season, maybe change up the 3 pt rule, allow any buck? Rotate any buck and 3 pt. The 3 pt rule puts ALL the pressure on the mature bucks. When it was any buck I would pass on spikes, but if season end was closing, a spike was meat on the table!
Mark also said, Since the 1997, they saw the % of 3 pt and better bucks slowly declining , from 46% in 97 to 31% in 99. Now it's 2017, bet it's not 46%!
So, food for thought
John G
ps, Much like bigmacc, my family has hunted the Methow for years, from 1920s to present. My uncle, Jim Simmons owned what is now the "Tice Ranch". When the depression hit my Grandfather left his restaurant in Wenatchee and leased a ranch just up from my Uncle.
Well, that"s my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »

:yeah: AMEN! :yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand