collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pop up blinds  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: Pop up blinds
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »
I'm 6'2 with a 30 inch draw and I couldn't shoot inside my popup blind. I couldn't reach full draw, I donated it to a youth contest on here. A hub style was the only kind I could get to full draw in.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Both blinds that I listed are very wide.  The Big Mikes line has some super wide ones but your going to spend some money on it.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
I'm 6'2 with a 30 inch draw and I couldn't shoot inside my popup blind. I couldn't reach full draw, I donated it to a youth contest on here. A hub style was the only kind I could get to full draw in.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Both blinds that I listed are very wide.  The Big Mikes line has some super wide ones but your going to spend some money on it.

I can use the doghouse one for archery, but everything has to be just right.  I never use it if I have room for the hub blind and don't have to pack it a half mile.  If I don't have room or have to pack it in I will grudgingly use the doghouse.  For firearms I just grab whatever is convenient and a lot of times that is the chair blind. 

Offline Fishoutdoors2016

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
Check out a great selection of blinds at BAM Outdoors.  http://bit.ly/2vumIs8

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:33 PM »
One thing with ground blinds that i have learned. If you are setting them up before the season in bear country they might not be still standing next time you check on them. I have lost 2 this year so i ended up putting up treestands

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »
Cabela's has the Ameristep Battlefield in online Bargain Cave for $79, that is a decent blind, and if it gets stolen it isn't a big deal.  I have been using one and bought another one this week. 

Offline hal

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »
I tried a doghouse three years ago. Went back to a homemade ground blind. The are too hot if the sun is on them. They deaden the sounds. ALSO: a bear took care of it this spring and shredded two sides.

Offline archerykraze

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
This is my first year using ground blinds. Used a Primos Double Bull Bullpen blind so it has plenty of room for me and my wife with wide shooting area. Was able to get her a shot on a 3 pt whitetail at 15.9 yards and it had no clue we were there even with being on public National Forrest Land. We brushed the blind in really well and only set it up a day early. Also have two ameristep Doghouse blinds set up but too tight of space for my wife to easily draw. Bullpen allows you to sit towards back of blind out of the sunlight and lots of room to draw bow. Look for slider windows and stay away from loud Velcro and Zippers. Good Luck!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »
do you guys shoot through the see through camo on the windows with archery? We have been doing this and I think its changing our point of impact a little? 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »
This is my first year using ground blinds. Used a Primos Double Bull Bullpen blind so it has plenty of room for me and my wife with wide shooting area. Was able to get her a shot on a 3 pt whitetail at 15.9 yards and it had no clue we were there even with being on public National Forrest Land. We brushed the blind in really well and only set it up a day early. Also have two ameristep Doghouse blinds set up but too tight of space for my wife to easily draw. Bullpen allows you to sit towards back of blind out of the sunlight and lots of room to draw bow. Look for slider windows and stay away from loud Velcro and Zippers. Good Luck!

Yes, you want to sit toward the back.  I'm going to paint my bow flat black.  Wearing black like a BDU coat and boonie hat with black face paint really helps. 

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »
Cannot speak highly enough of the DoubleBull Blind. We have one of the original hub styles and it has been abused and used hard. The only holes in it are in the window netting from killing bull elks with arrows. Have also killed alot of big Boss Tom turkeys out of it as well.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 05:46:14 AM »
I'm 6'5". 32" draw length and I hunt out of a blind for deer and turkey with the whole family. Spray it down every time you walk in and out. Last year had a doe stick her head into the blind while I was at full draw. about 3" from my broadhead.

Love them. Haven't tried it with elk yet.

The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 07:15:33 AM »
Cabela's has the Ameristep Battlefield ground blind in online Bargain Cave for $79 right now,  I use a few of them and they work fine.  This makes the cost of trying out a ground blind out pretty affordable.  I like them because if someone steals one it isn't that bad, and they work well.  I usually pay $99 on sale, this is a particularly good deal. 

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 12:43:17 PM »
In hunt tests, we use a blind that is 5 feet tall and would easily hide someone on a regular height chair.
I find them in the dog section of a store.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand