collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for some guidance, Archery elk units  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Kjpatchett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • facebook.com/krispatchett
  • Groups: USAF, RMEF, NRA
Looking for some guidance, Archery elk units
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is KristopherPatchett, I am seeking some help from you all.  I have been in the Air Force for 9 years and joined out of Vancouver Washington in 2008. I grew up hunting around Toutle/Mossyrock.  I was stationed in Idaho for the last 8 years, the land was open and animals everywhere! it was awesome. I do a mix of archery and rifle hunting.  I was selected last year to become and Air Force recruiter for 4 years. I elected to come back home to WA.   It is nice to be back, and it turns out I have a great office partner that is from Eastern Washington and loves hunting and fishing as well! 

here is our problem, (i know many others are in the same boat)   We work, A lot.... when I was a cop for the AF I would work 15ish days a week and have tons of time to go out and be successful. here, it is not the case M-F 10-12 hr days weekend events etc.. it's crazy.   

We decided to go Archery hunting this year for deer and elk, we are in Vancouver, and headed up to Unit 560, all over the southern side of St. Helens.   We have put in a few days and many miles of hiking. we have found 0 elk. 0 deer. just massive amounts of bear/cougar sign.   We are  honestly a bit lost and not sure what to do.  we will not be able to take a lot of days off, possible a Fri-mon hunt.  But, we have no clue where to go. Typically you can get out hike around and at-least spook something up.. but we have not even had that happen.  We are not looking for "your" spots or any handouts, just some genuine help and pointing in the right direction. we are not picky we just want to harvest an animal and be successful, put meat in the freezer.  We have debated going up to 524 but I read it is all closed down, we have discussed maybe looking more towards Mt. Adams?    any help would be greatly appreciated. 

If anyone is ever heading over to Idaho, get a hold of me I can get you into the animals in units 39, 43, 44 and a few more up-north. 

Thank you for your help!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Looking for some guidance, Archery elk units
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
In your situation I would definitely purchase a "Longview - St. Helens" access permit from Weyerhaeuser for $300. This will get you access behind the gates in GMU's 520, 524, 550, and 556. They also allow camping so you can stay right in the area you're hunting and avoid all the driving back and forth each day, which just takes up too much time when your time is already so limited.

https://wyrecreation.com/permits

Offline mikelonsford

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:28:15 PM »
I sent you a PM, check your in box.

Mike

Offline Bigapplediams73

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
I am vet. Got out of the USMC in 96. I am going to hunt the coast weekends only cz of work. Don't mind taking both of you along if you guys want to buy the Columbia River west permit from weyerhouser, I will be hunting that area. I have scouted it a bit and almost always see elk. If you don't mind shooting a cow I'm sure we will get a shot at them atleast. I know it's a drive out there but I rather hunt where I have seen animals already. I will also go to some places between woodland and cougar on the weekdays after work. Let me know what you guys think and if it's a go pm your # and I will call you. God bless and thank you two for your service 

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
Where about  on the south side have you been? Theirs elk there. Just scattered about in small herds. Pm me for an area that I can send you to. Has animals. Hard thing to predict is where they will be come September. I can help with that come week before season cause trail cams in the area.

Oh and thank you for your service.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal