collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer hunting on private property in Indian reservation  (Read 14246 times)

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Deer hunting on private property in Indian reservation
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
Even if you find that you can legally hunt there, the tribal officers may not agree when means you're likely to end up in a cold cell with lots of issues to address.
How could the tribal police enforce anything against me on private property?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
you can NOT hunt on privaley owned land within the colville reservation. his land is not withing the relm of state management. there is no non tribal member hunting seasons within the rez.
-Matt

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »
Even if you find that you can legally hunt there, the tribal officers may not agree when means you're likely to end up in a cold cell with lots of issues to address.
How could the tribal police enforce anything against me on private property?
The same way any LEO can come on your private property in the US to enforce laws.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »
Since it would not be in a GMU that's listed in the hunting regulations, I'd say there's zero chance you could legally hunt deer on that property.

Then how come when I talked to an ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, and they specifically said to go by what they said not the reservation (if indeed it is OWNED property) and that the general rules would apply. I wonder if it somehow would be linked with one of the surrounding gmus. I will do more research

your gona go to Indian jail.
-Matt

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
They don't have to be right in order to toss you in the clink. It's the judges overview not the cops... What do you thing your rights are on a reservation? They are not the same as within the state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
The same way any LEO can come on your private property in the US to enforce laws.
[/quote]

Only in Washington, Bob.  Idaho still requires a warrant.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »
It's against state law to hunt within the Colville Rez boundary.

WAC 220-413-160

Colville Indian Reservation—Prohibiting the taking or hunting of big game and grouse and trapping of furbearers.

The taking or hunting of big game or grouse within the Colville Indian Reservation boundaries is prohibited. The trapping of furbearers within the Colville Indian Reservation boundaries is prohibited.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »
Since it would not be in a GMU that's listed in the hunting regulations, I'd say there's zero chance you could legally hunt deer on that property.

Then how come when I talked to an ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, and they specifically said to go by what they said not the reservation (if indeed it is OWNED property) and that the general rules would apply. I wonder if it somehow would be linked with one of the surrounding gmus. I will do more research

your gona go to Indian jail.

Actually I won't. I'll do proper research and as of now it's showing me that it is not likely legal to hunt deer in that area. But I will do my best and find everything I can about it before making any decisions

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
It's against state law to hunt within the Colville Rez boundary.

WAC 220-413-160

Colville Indian Reservation—Prohibiting the taking or hunting of big game and grouse and trapping of furbearers.

The taking or hunting of big game or grouse within the Colville Indian Reservation boundaries is prohibited. The trapping of furbearers within the Colville Indian Reservation boundaries is prohibited.

Well there you (/I) go. Damn.

Offline Southpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
I don't think it would be worth the hassle to hunt there. The tribes get a little touchy about non members taking anything off their land. I know you said your friend owns the property, but I'm pretty sure if the tribes found out you hunted, or are hunting there, they will give you a hard time in some way. My uncle a few years ago was coming back from camping and picking up elk sheds at Oak Creek. He had a few elk sheds tied down in the back of his pickup where you could visibly see them. Well he drove through the Colville rez to on his way home since it was the shortest route. A tribal cop seen those elk sheds and pulled him over and the very unfriendly cop gave my uncle the third degree about taking sheds off of reservation land even though my uncle told him they were from Oak Creek. He even threatened to confiscate the sheds. It took him awhile to convince the cop they didn't pick them up off the rez, but he finally let them go. Like I said, I just don't think it's worth the hassle, even if it is somehow legal.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
Yeah, and if it is like reported that it isn't in a GMU area, I'm pretty sure you're out of luck.

Offline Britt-dog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
Lots of misinformation in this thread. I will try to explain best I can.

WDFW has juristiction on all properties with in the state of Wa both public and private, except reservations.

Tribal enforcement has Juristiction over all lands within the reservation boundries.

The tribe makes the hunting and fishing regulations for the reservation lands, these are different from, and overule state regulations, because they are a soveirgn nation. They get to make their own rules.

Non tribal persons can own/lease property within reservation boundries, tribal hunting and fishing regulations apply on these properties and are enforced. Just like private land anywhere else in the state.

Colville tribes allow non members to hunt some species on the reservation, specificly non native birds such as pheasants and chukar, and migratory fowl. Colville tribes publish a hunting regulation booklet, and sell licenses for non member hunting. This is what the WDFW page is refering to.

There is NO!! non tribal hunting of Deer, Elk, or any other big game animal allowed within the boundries of the Colville reservation, weather private or tribal ground.

WDFW rules, regulations and tags do not apply on the reservation.

Hope this helps.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »

WDFW has juristiction on all properties with in the state of Wa both public and private, except reservations.

Tribal enforcement has Juristiction over all lands within the reservation boundries.

The tribe makes the hunting and fishing regulations for the reservation lands, these are different from, and overule state regulations, because they are a soveirgn nation. They get to make their own rules.

Non tribal persons can own/lease property within reservation boundries, tribal hunting and fishing regulations apply on these properties and are enforced. Just like private land anywhere else in the state.

Colville tribes allow non members to hunt some species on the reservation, specificly non native birds such as pheasants and chukar, and migratory fowl. Colville tribes publish a hunting regulation booklet, and sell licenses for non member hunting. This is what the WDFW page is refering to.

There is NO!! non tribal hunting of Deer, Elk, or any other big game animal allowed within the boundries of the Colville reservation, weather private or tribal ground.

Hope this helps.

I literally stopped posting because I found almost this exact information.
They sure have a hell of a season for themselves tho!
I did find the non-member hunting seasons and how it did not include any big game an so it indeed stated specifically that non-members are not allowed to hunt big game at all

Offline Britt-dog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »

Hope this helps.

I literally stopped posting because I found almost this exact information.
They sure have a hell of a season for themselves tho!
I did find the non-member hunting seasons and how it did not include any big game an so it indeed stated specifically that non-members are not allowed to hunt big game at all

You can try to make an arguement based around deeded, or "fee simple" lands. but as others have stated, good luck with that.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
You do realize I'm trying to say that I'm no longer looking into this property for deer season, right?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter