collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Suppressor  (Read 13386 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Suppressor
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
So I'd like to get a suppressor for my 5.56.  Anyone recommend a good make and model and anyone you would recommend buying it from.  Also is the process still taking months and months?  Thanks for any thoughts and or advice.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: Suppressor
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
Process takes months and months. I paid for my suppressor last November and I've not gotten my form 4 back yet. As far as suppresors, it all depends on what your gun is.

As far as suppressors, where do you plan on buying from? Look at them in person. What I like, some don't like. I also buy through the blue label program, so I'm kinda biased and buy what I can get a smoking deal on  :IBCOOL:

Silencerco is a good start (Omega is a cool one that can be used on 30 cal and under....). Surefire makes great products.

I know guys that run AAC, Surefire, Silencerco, Gemtech and YHM

I personally own AAC, Silcencerco and Gemtech for 22 cal.
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
I'll answer the last part first, unfortunately, yes, it's still taking a minimum of 9 months and likely closer to a year.

All my rifle suppressors are either TBAC (Thunderbeast Arms Company) suppressors or SAS suppressors.  IMO, both make a better than average product but TBAC's customer service is second to none.

I don't know what other calibers and rifles you have but to do all over again, I would never buy a 5.56 specific suppressor, at the least, I'd get a 6.5 suppressor or maybe even a .30 cal suppressor and use it on everything I had .30 cal and smaller.  A .22 cal specific suppressor on a 22 caliber rifle will definitely meter the quietest, BUT, IMO it is very minimally quieter than a 6.5 suppressor or even 30 cal suppressor on a 22 caliber rifle and going with a 6.5 or .30 cal can will obviously give you a MUCH larger range of use and once you start shooting one gun suppressed, you want to shoot all of them suppressed.

If I were looking for a top of the line, light weight and very quiet suppressor, my FIRST choice would be a TBAC Ultra7 or Ultra9 and I'd either get it in 6.5 or .30 cal so I could use one suppressor on multiple rifles. 

The TBAC Ultra9 will be a little quieter than the Ultra7 but, for me, I'd be ok giving up a little noise reduction for the shorter Ultra7.  The TBAC Ultra series of suppressors are some of, if not, the lightest and quietest cans on the market, and again, their customer service is excellent.

As for who to purchase it from, I'd do everything I could to purchase it from a dealer that already has one in stock in your state.  It'll definitely save you a few months wait time purchasing from an in state dealer that has the item in stock.

If you think you'll likely only ever buy one suppressor, I don't know that I'd go to the extra expense of doing a "trust" with the new 41F that went into affect awhile back, the benefit of using a trust isn't that big anymore. 

Shooting suppressed is a he11 of a lot of fun and even though the wait time sucks, in the end, it's definitely worth it. 

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys!!!  I guess I better start the process!!!  :)
Fred Moyer

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
Wait time is currently running about 300 days.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »
Wait time is currently running about 300 days.

Oh so it's much faster now.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Fred Moyer

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys!!!  I guess I better start the process!!!  :)

In all honesty, just getting the process started, was my biggest hurdle with my first purchase.  I looked into suppressor ownership for years before I actually bought one.  I'd talk to dealers and go look at them but that part about paying for everything 100% up front, then waiting the better part of a year always stopped me from going forward with a purchase, AND, I thought the paper work part was going to be MUCH more difficult than it turned out to be.  After dragging my feet for a few years it dawned on me that if I would have just done it when I first started thinking about it I'd already have the dam thing and that's when I began to proceed into the world of suppressor ownership.  Now, I, ummm, have a few. :yike:

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
 :tup: :tup: :tup:
Fred Moyer

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »
I appreciate this discussion.  I've been considering picking up a surefire suppressor to use on my Sig716 equipped with a surefire break.  I believe they make a model that attaches directly to the break.  I haven't gotten very far along in the research process and appreciate the tips from you guys.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »
Looking at one from Silencer Co. along with swapping the muzzle device on my AR.

Yeah its taking 9-12 months currently.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »
I'd wait, if they become easier to buy the price will go up but the market should get flooded.  It should drop in price after a year or two after the laws are relaxed. Just a hunch and thoughts from guys I've talked with about it.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
I'd wait, if they become easier to buy the price will go up but the market should get flooded.  It should drop in price after a year or two after the laws are relaxed. Just a hunch and thoughts from guys I've talked with about it.

I hear this from a lot of people and at first glance it seems like a good idea but in all honesty, the likelihood of the Hearing Protection Act or any Act like it, actually getting passed, is slim and none.  Also, IF the HPA gets passed after you've submitted the $200 for your Form4 stamp the BATF has to refund you your money.

If someone is serious about getting a suppressor, don't wait, get the process started now and before you know it 9-12 months will have passed and you'll already have your suppressor and be shooting with it.

Offline shootem

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 07:25:42 PM »

I hear this from a lot of people and at first glance it seems like a good idea but in all honesty, the likelihood of the Hearing Protection Act or any Act like it, actually getting passed, is slim and none.  Also, IF the HPA gets passed after you've submitted the $200 for your Form4 stamp the BATF has to refund you your money.

If someone is serious about getting a suppressor, don't wait, get the process started now and before you know it 9-12 months will have
passed and you'll already have your suppressor and be shooting with it.

You can follow the progress of the Hearing Protection Act by goggling S.59 for the Senate version and H.R.367 for the House version. Little is likely to happen on either bills in the near future.

I agree with b23 buy now. Either nothing happens on the bills and nothing changes or the bills pass. If they do, you will get the $200 for the tax stamp back. Also I expect the market will get flooded with people wanting to buy and simple supply and demad economics will rule. Prices will go up. Manufacturers will not be able to keep up with demand so delays in getting one will be significant. I bought a Silencerco Omega at Ranier Arms in Auburn a couple months ago. If you want a suppressor get it now.

Offline carvermoe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 07:27:04 AM »
I just received my stamp last week.  13 month's

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
Not to hijack this thread.  But did you just apply as yourself or did you use one of those gun trust? 
275 down 2

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1