collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Suppressor  (Read 13383 times)

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Suppressor
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »
Since 41F went into affect on July 13 2016 forming a Trust doesn't still have quite the same benefit/s it used to.  IMO there are still benefits to forming a trust but it's maybe not quite as much as it was before 41F.

As for how long it takes to get approved using a Trust versus filing as an individual, one is no faster than the other.

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
Not to hijack this thread.  But did you just apply as yourself or did you use one of those gun trust?

I still use the trust. For a few reasons...but mainly because I have had the trust for a few years and decided to keep everything on one "document"
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline shootem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 12:47:52 AM »
I did not do a trust but can't tell you the best way to do it.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
It would seem like the big advantage to using a Trust is you can pass them along to your children when you are gone.  If you are an individual and pass away what  is your family required to do with the suppressor(s)?
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »
I'm tagging along as I've been intrigued by suppressors.   I did have one question that I'm hoping doesn't hijack the thread, do you guys think it's feasible to just buy one suppressor and have threaded mounts on multiple rifles and just use one suppressor?  Or is that too much effort/not feasible?  I'm looking at the Thunder Beast Arms Ultra series for 30 cal.  Would rather not have to buy multiple if I can get away with it.

Sorry Machias, don't want to derail your thread.  Please keep us posted on how your application process goes, as I'm considering doing this in this next year.   

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 09:11:52 AM »
Sorry Machias, don't want to derail your thread.  Please keep us posted on how your application process goes, as I'm considering doing this in this next year.   

Oh heck no, that's no hijacking a thread, I'm learning right there with you!  Thanks for asking the question!
Fred Moyer

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
I'm looking at the Thunder Beast Arms Ultra series for 30 cal.  Would rather not have to buy multiple if I can get away with it.

I think more and more people are going this route, buying either a 30cal or 6.5 suppressor and using it on everything that size and smaller.  As you can imagine, you won't get quite the same noise reduction using a suppressor with a larger hole than you would with one that is specific to the caliber you're using it on but, depending on the suppressor, there's not that much difference.  I've shot my SAS Barricade 6.5 can on my 223's and about the only thing I can hear different, is the tone to my ears seems a little different compared to when I have my TBAC 223 can on my 223's and I'm sure if you measured sound levels with a meter it would show different but what a meter can pick up and what our ears can, is a lot different.

If you use a TBAC Ultra7 .30 cal suppressor on anything .30cal and smaller, it'll still be hearing safe without ear protection.

I prefer to go direct thread instead of muzzle break threaded mounting system.  Direct thread is a little lighter setup and you don't have the extra cost of getting a muzzle break for every rifle you plan to put one on.  Also, IMO, direct thread is a cleaner look but that's just my opinion.

Also, you'll want to check with the manufacturer of the suppressor you plan to use as to what they recommend for a minimum barrel diameter and if you have a skinny barrel you may have to go muzzle break attach instead of direct thread.  TBAC is excellent about answering any and all questions whenever I've needed to talk to them.  SAS makes an excellent can but their CS is not even close to TBAC.

If you decide to go with a 6.5 can, check with the manufacturer because it's possible you can use their 6.5 can on 270's as well.  I've talked to SAS about using my 6.5 Barricade on 270's and they said it would be fine so that gives a little more flexibility in a 6.5 can.

I don't know the exact specifics on "willing" a suppressor to a family member after you die, if it was purchased as an individual, but I know you can still do it and I believe there is no extra cost involved to the family member you're willing it to.  Since 41F went into affect the laws for a Trust have changed a little too, now every person you add to your Trust has to submit passport photos and finger print cards in order to be legally added to the trust.  I think they call anyone added to a Trust a "Responsible Person" and they have to go through the same background check as the owner.  The good thing about going the Trust route is anyone you put on your Trust that's gone through the "Responsible Person" ATF BS can use any item on the Trust the same as the owner.  If you file as an individual, someone can still use your suppressor but you have to always be in their presence when they are using it, with a trust, you don't even have to be there.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »
Great info!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »
 :tup: :tup: :tup:
Fred Moyer

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 11:49:09 AM »
Thank you b23.  This is why I love this site.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
I know there are a lot of guys that are maybe on the fence and not sure they want to put that kind of investment out there then wait the better part of a year before you get to take the thing home and use it.  I was the same way and waited and waited before I took the plunge.  But, once I started shooting some of my guns suppressed and didn't have to wear hearing protection or listen to any muzzle blast, I quickly forget all about the cost or how long I waited to get mine.

My suggestion to anyone that's seriously considering getting a suppressor is this, after you select which centerfire suppressor you want, spend a few hundred dollars more and purchase a rimfire suppressor at the same time.  There are many good ones out there but get one like the TBAC 22 Take Down, Dead Air Mask, or SilencerCo Spectre II because they are rated for all rimfires as well as the 5.7x28 and 17 Hornet.  Shooting rimfires suppressed is sooooo much fun and they are crazy quiet.  Even my little 17 Hornet makes me giggle like a little girl its so quiet and fun to shoot suppressed.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
Some great info in this thread.
10 months wait!  :yike:
After moving to OKC, I had to go to an all day Oklahoma Conceal Carry class, after completion you can apply for a conceal carry license. After a background check and a mandatory 90 day wait, you get your conceal carry license. I was literally going nuts during the waiting period not being able to carry. I must have cleaned all my handguns at least 3-4 times a week just to get them out and fondle them. I felt like someone chopped off a limb and would not give it back for three whole months.

LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »

10 months wait!  :yike:

There is no doubt, the wait sucks big time and unfortunately there is just no way around it but the longer you wait, the longer it takes before you have them in hand and shooting quietly. :tup:

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »
@b23

If using suppressor with hunting rifles w/24" and 26" barrels, do you have them cut down or do you just add them to the existing length?   In your opinion?

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:04 PM »
@b23

If using suppressor with hunting rifles w/24" and 26" barrels, do you have them cut down or do you just add them to the existing length?   In your opinion?

For me, it would depend on the type of hunting I'm using the host gun for and what barrel contour it has.  As you can imagine, the overall length starts getting pretty long when you screw a 7in. can on the end of it and I'm a little nutty about barrel stiffness, in fact I've only got one rifle with a small-ish contour and it's a Hart #4 so it's not super skinny.  I guess it'd largely depend on the gun, the type of hunting I was going to do with it, and the terrain I'd be using it in.  I chase velocity as much as anyone but a couple inches shorter barrel doesn't typically amount to squat and I've yet to have a gun shoot better when the barrel was longer, versus when I had a few inches cut off.  They've all shot the same or sometimes better in their shorter version.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]