collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Diaphragms....which ones?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Elk Diaphragms....which ones?
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:58:51 PM »
I can use a diaphragm already. However I want to get into archery hunting and calling elk.  What calls should I start with?  Thanks guys.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Elk Diaphragms....which ones?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:45 PM »
Check out phelps amp reeds
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:42:58 PM »
I am a fan of bugling bulls diaphragms, but you have to try a few different brands to see what fits best.  Too small=no bueno, too big=no bueno.  Suckers are getting expensive these days.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:35:43 AM »
Check out the Born and Raised combo pack.  Phelps makes these for the BRO guys.  I just got mine in.  I have a medium palate and these fit perfect and sound awesome.  I ordered some of the new AMP calls.  They sound really good too, the fit was a little different between a couple of them so 1 was really easy to work with the other took some tweaking.

Offline elkdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »
Hard to go wrong with the Phelps calls. For a bugle tube go guy a fat Albert whiffle ball bat and cut the two ends off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
Phelps calls for sure. But like mentioned previously buy several different brands and types. Find what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eliandsky

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
I'm with the AMP calls as well. What are you guys finding you like best for your go to color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kokanee

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
Phelps gets a lot of positive press, but not being offered in a retail environment (That I have found yet), it is a lot like buying shoes on-line... That being said, you can't go wrong with Carlton's diaphrams, or Rockies...  Both are available at Sportco/Outdoor Emporium in Seattle, so you can easily get some for a test drive and pick the brand that fits you best.

Offline LongRange300RUM

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »
Phelps gets a lot of positive press, but not being offered in a retail environment (That I have found yet), it is a lot like buying shoes on-line... That being said, you can't go wrong with Carlton's diaphrams, or Rockies...  Both are available at Sportco/Outdoor Emporium in Seattle, so you can easily get some for a test drive and pick the brand that fits you best.
They have Phelps calls at sportco in Fife.  Just saw  some there. I've heard of them being in a few other retail places as well. And not many places are going to let you "try on" a diaphragm so I don't see the issue with buying online. I'd rather support the small business owner directly and he's offering free shipping right with  promo code TRO I believe so it won't cost you any extra.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »
I personally use Berry Game Calls (and have for some 30+ years). Love the sound I get from them and their durability.  There are some really good call companies out now and honestly, you can't go wrong with most any of them.  Phelps, Glacier Country Hunting Calls, Wapiti River Outdoors, and the Bugling Bull calls are all options.  Try a few of them out, choose what works well for you, and stock up on a few before season  ;).     
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Kokanee

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »
They have Phelps calls at sportco in Fife.  Just saw  some there. I've heard of them being in a few other retail places as well. And not many places are going to let you "try on" a diaphragm so I don't see the issue with buying online. I'd rather support the small business owner directly and he's offering free shipping right with  promo code TRO I believe so it won't cost you any extra.

Thanks Longrange! I hadn't seen Phelp's calls in either location, but havent' been in since February.  I may get down there this weekend as I have wanted to give their calls a try...  That being said, I didn't mean to insinuate that one could test drive before buying, but rather get a couple of each mfgr. to decide which they liked before buying too many.  Kinda reads like I did though huh?  LOL  :chuckle:

Offline DVET253

• Undergraduate in Trajectory
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF (Life Member) Vortex Nation
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »
Phelps AMP and the BRO series are great. If you're in or have family, friends etc... in the Vancouver area, Archery World  (both Vancouver and Troutdale locations) have in stock the Phelps line including the Bro series and new Unleashed tube.
2018 Hoyt RX-1 Ultra (subalpine) 70Lbs
Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL 3-pin custom
Easton FMJ .300's with 100gr FP and Slick Tricks
Vortex Optics

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw