collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Members are complaining about the off-topics board, how should it be changed?

Keep off-topics the way it is, members can freely opt in and opt out
168 (58.7%)
Keep off-topics the way it is but make all members opt in again
11 (3.8%)
Make off topics by request and approval only, you would have to request membership
13 (4.5%)
Remove off-topics from the forum completely
38 (13.3%)
I really don't care what happens with off-topics
31 (10.8%)
Off Topics has the same rules as the rest of the forum
25 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Author Topic: POLL: Members are complaining about the off-topics, how should it be changed?  (Read 53558 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
I don't understand some of the comments about vulgar language in OT. I don't notice vulgar language in there and I believe the board has words censored just like the rest of the forum.

I also don't understand why it is not moderated like the rest of the forum, but at the same time, I don't understand the problem some people have with it now? 

Actually,  there are a lot of topics in VC that I think should be in OT but aren't. Plenty of things are discussed in VC that are not outdoor related.  I guess I just don't understand why some people are opposed to OT but that's OK I don't need to understand why; I think it's great that we have the option to discuss non outdoor related issues and others that don't want to can easily avoid it.

This really is one of the best forums out there.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
I will vote but from my observations, some people only use HW for the Off Topics option. Not really the spirit of the site.  If over 50% of your posts are in Off Topics your here for all the wrong reasons.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
I think it's fine, have off topics and then be pretty aggressive about cleaning out comments from legitimate hunting threads.  Debate is fine, once the name calling starts, either clear that out with a warning or move the whole thread.  If the OP isn't involved in the circus and the thread has some merit, I think it should be cleaned and allowed to stay.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
I voted don't care, because I don't. I subscribe to off topics and I peak through the basement window from time to time. I actually enjoy reading quite a few of the main OT contributors point of views on topics. The language ad comments don't bother me, I hear worse live and in person throughout a day anyways.

And the best part, I leave when I'm full. I voted don't care but really would
Leave it the way it is. For those it offends, OPT out and carry on with life.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Keep it the way it is!  We all get heated over certain things, that just means we are hunan. 

Pretty simple if you don't like it, don't go in there.
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
I think it is crappy that pertinent topics to hunting get moved to the off topics because a few can't mind their P's and Q's .......  The response I have gotten (more than once) is .....just join the off topics if you want to discuss that topic.  I opt out of the off topics because the majority (so I've been told) is a bunch of old ladies complaining just because they can.  I try not to involve myself in that mess as it is counter productive.  If you want to be on this forum keep it clean and keep it in the campfire forum (hunting or not....at my campfire the only thing off limits is work) but we always keep it clean and respect others around the fire..  If you can't keep it clean and you need an off topics.....pack your bags and move on.  Lots of other forms to talk trash about others......this is not it.

Thanks for the comments, I'm just a bit confused and need you to clarify, are you saying you want the off topics in the Virtual Campfire?

To clarify my thoughts, I don't want non-outdoor related politics, religious topics, and quite a few of the non-hunting topics on the main forum. If we get rid of the off-topics we will get rid of them completely, we are not going to move them to the open forum where we have to babysit it all the time because as most of us know, some members simply will not remain civil in those topics.

Essentially....YES.  the campfire is a place to discuss anything, as long as it stays civil and clean.  Just because you don't like a certain topic doesn't mean others won't enjoy it.  If you (or I) don't like certain topic, don't open it and read it.  If it is in the campfire it can be moderated. 

Maybe I should change my vote to "open the off topics to everyone and moderate it like the rest of the forum". I just think it is silly that the decision was made to move the rowdy crowd to a special locked (opt in /out) thread so mods could shut the door and forget about them...... i.e. not moderate them.  It ruins some of those topics for the good kids. 

At the end of the day.....allowing an unmoderated board promotes the negative characteristics that are not allowed in the open forum.  It is like telling your kid....it is ok to eat your buggers as long as you don't do it in front of the family. 

Hope that clarifies......this is a fairly complicated topic so putting words in a screen is sometimes more difficult than being able to express ones self with conversation. 

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
I voted to keep it as it is. Off topics is not for me but that shouldn't keep other people off of it.

I think that some should put it on ignore.
I also think that there should be a little moderating on it instead of a free for all.

There are some topics that should be discussed and heavily moderated and kept on VC instead of getting thrown to off topics.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
I just think it is silly that the decision was made to move the rowdy crowd to a special locked (opt in /out) thread so mods could shut the door and forget about them...... i.e. not moderate them.  It ruins some of those topics for the good kids. 

At the end of the day.....allowing an unmoderated board promotes the negative characteristics that are not allowed in the open forum.  It is like telling your kid....it is ok to eat your buggers as long as you don't do it in front of the family. 

:yeah: Basically my sentiment. If it's going to be allowed in one area of the forum, it is likely to continue to spill over into the rest of the hunting forum. This is not a general discussion forum or a personal facebook page.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
I think one of the benefits of Off topics that some of you might not be aware of, is I believe it isn't picked up by the google bots, so its not searchable and viewable by the general public versus stuff that pops on the main forum.   Kind of a nice place to keep your dirty laundry I guess. 

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
I am a member of off topics, However, I have pondered many times through-out the year to opt out.  There are few people that dominate the off topics world that I don't believe ever leave the house or keyboard.  I participate less in the forum due to this conundrum, so the right answer is to opt out, but I just haven't taken that step. 

I voted to keep it is the way it is, but if I had my choices, I would limit the number of topics started to a certain # per month per member.  I know this isn't realistic to moderate in that fashion, but I will say that it is over whelming at times.

Update: I just left off topics.  I am going to try that for a few weeks and see if it changes my opinion.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
I'm not sure it can be improved.  I've never opted in to Off Topics, nor will I.  You have subject area threads, then virtual campfire for civil, moderated discourse on any subject, and then an unmoderated jungle where the less prudish, more opinionated can put on their big boy pants if they want to risk having their feelings bruised because somebody on the internet was mean.  You will never satisfy everyone on a public website.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
The only thing I don't like is when a thread gets moved to off topics. The Bullwinkle thread was a pretty good example, instead of moving the whole thread I think a new off topic thread should be started and the general elk hunting thread cleaned up.

Understandably this causes slot more work so if it's not implemented due to lack of manpower I can understand that.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Off topics is basically the Politics/ Current Events forum. For those not interested in those kind of topics, don't opt in. Pretty simple. I don't like reading about sports but you don't see me complaining about those topics being in the Virtual Campfire forum, even though that forum is supposed to be only for hunting / outdoor related topics. If I don't want to read a thread I don't click on it.

I really like the idea of requiring everyone to opt in to off topics, again. Even those who already are opted in now, clear everyone out, and have everyone do it again. If we could have opting in be a requirement monthly, that would be even better. Then nobody could legitimately complain about the fact that some people like to talk politics on here.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Agree bobcat.  If someone isn't opt-in to the off topics, then how do they know it is there and causing a kerfuffle?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
question for those opted out....does it show up on the right in recent topics

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]