collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Members are complaining about the off-topics board, how should it be changed?

Keep off-topics the way it is, members can freely opt in and opt out
168 (58.7%)
Keep off-topics the way it is but make all members opt in again
11 (3.8%)
Make off topics by request and approval only, you would have to request membership
13 (4.5%)
Remove off-topics from the forum completely
38 (13.3%)
I really don't care what happens with off-topics
31 (10.8%)
Off Topics has the same rules as the rest of the forum
25 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Author Topic: POLL: Members are complaining about the off-topics, how should it be changed?  (Read 53542 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Dale knows where I stand in regard to the off topics board. I don't like it. I'm against a bunch  of political crap on the forum. Back in the day when Ray was still the owner of Hunt Wa I got really vocal with him about politics to the point I was going to cease being a part of the forum. I wasn't alone. To quell those concerns, Ray created the OT. I still disliked it but once I figured out I could ignore it, I no longer had an argument.
We try to be pretty heavy handed about OT crap flowing out into the main forum. One of the big concerns we had/have is that all the crap talk in there doesn't spill over onto the main forum. Some of you have mentioned seeing the spill over. Please point it out if it's happening. We will address it directly.
As much as I openly dislike all the stuff we have to deal with in the OT, I don't have a legit argument for getting rid of it. There are only a few regular posters there(some of which literally never post anything hunting/outdoors related. I don't get it). If they vanished, the popularity would crap out and the board would likely die off in a hurry.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
It is a mistake, because bemoaning people who do not share success pics or provide tips on areas and/or tactics comes across as elitist, it is repulsive to me as a novice hunter and a relative noob to WA hunting and fishing and to the notion of hunting and fishing as an everyman's sport, and it is counter to hunter and fisherman recruitment, generally, and to hunt-wa member recruitment in particular. 
No one is "bemoaning the people who do not share success pictures".  The bemoaning has to do with all the garbage being posted and the members that seem to be here only for those off topic conversations.  You are one of those folks, in case it seemed like I was dancing around the issue.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Could we change the default settings to "opt-in" instead of "opt-out" for the off topics board? That one small change can go a long way towards decreasing traffic unless people really want in...

I know I've been much happier on the site since opting out of the "off topics" section!

Is it not already that way? It used to be, if it changed I am unaware of it.

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
I voted to just leave it be.
First, the reason I believe it is good to have OTs as a part of the forum is that those who choose to can talk about current events and politics with other people from our state who at least share one common love. The love of the outdoors, hunting and fishing.
It gets heated sometimes and that is natural. As adults we should be able to handle that. I've had my hackles raised a few times in there, but that happens with the free exchange of opinions and ideas. I would prefer to deal with a little bit of frustration than to live in a safe space bubble.
Second, there are easy to use options on this site available to those who do not wish to discuss current events and politics here. Opting out and ignoring the OT board is a very simple process. Ignoring individual threads and even individual members is also a very easy thing to do. Honestly though, I have only ever put one member on my ignore list and that was not even prompted by an OT thread. He was just an obvious troll and I refuse to feed trolls.
Finally, if some people feel that the site has changed too much for their liking I would suggest that they become part of the solution. Rather than complaining about a thing and demanding someone else fix it, become part of the solution. Become more active outside of the OT area. Start more threads about the activities you love. Make positive comments on other peoples threads. If a troll bothers you then put them on the ignore list.
Hope you all have a great day.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
So my question is if there's no off topics section ,is mods just gonna delete any topic they feel is off topic from hunting. :dunno:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
Finally, if some people feel that the site has changed too much for their liking I would suggest that they become part of the solution. Rather than complaining about a thing and demanding someone else fix it, become part of the solution. Become more active outside of the OT area. Start more threads about the activities you love. Make positive comments on other peoples threads. If a troll bothers you then put them on the ignore list.

:yeah:   Best comment of the day!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
So my question is if there's no off topics section ,is mods just gonna delete any topic they feel is off topic from hunting. :dunno:

Yes.

Offline npaull

• Sourdough
Is it not already that way? It used to be, if it changed I am unaware of it.

I could be wrong. Thought you had to opt-out. If it's already that way, I don't see a big problem.

Offline Holg3107

• Sourdough
In all honesty if you wanted to clean up off topics all you have to do is get rid of 5 or 6 people and the post count in off topics would be almost non existent. There are a half a dozen people that are not on this site for anything but the off topics section and contribute little to nothing to the rest of the site.

Not to name names but if you eliminated a "Bigfish Floundering in a Roundheaded pool of Phills" you would see a drastic difference on the site overall.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:02:37 PM by bobcat »

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
I voted to just leave it be.
First, the reason I believe it is good to have OTs as a part of the forum is that those who choose to can talk about current events and politics with other people from our state who at least share one common love. The love of the outdoors, hunting and fishing.
It gets heated sometimes and that is natural. As adults we should be able to handle that. I've had my hackles raised a few times in there, but that happens with the free exchange of opinions and ideas. I would prefer to deal with a little bit of frustration than to live in a safe space bubble.
Second, there are easy to use options on this site available to those who do not wish to discuss current events and politics here. Opting out and ignoring the OT board is a very simple process. Ignoring individual threads and even individual members is also a very easy thing to do. Honestly though, I have only ever put one member on my ignore list and that was not even prompted by an OT thread. He was just an obvious troll and I refuse to feed trolls.
Hope you all have a great day.

Thanks for trying to offer solutions!  :tup: :tup: :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
I've had some pm's from members with good input, if you have some constructive thoughts but don't want to post them openly in this topic, please send them to me via pm. THANKS
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
I think it should stay the way it is ,that's how I voted.
I see off topics as away to get rid of some topics from virtual campfire .There is a lot of off topics in virtual campfire,i think what's in off topics will spill into virtual campfire,then members will be on mods all the time to delete topics ,that are off topics from hunting.

Anyway just keep the way it is,might be more trouble,to try and fix it,or change it.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
If your gonna delete topics for being off topic , that rule would have to apply for everybody ,not just a few people from the off topics section.

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
The problem I see is that someone starts a subject not in the OT section then someone else post/trolls and it ends up in the OT. When this happens then it seems that the OP was punished and the subject was moved to appease the trolls. If the OP is not opted in OT then their thread just got hijacked from them.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
If your gonna delete topics for being off topic , that rule would have to apply for everybody ,not just a few people from the off topics section.

Some people tend to be more outspoken and confrontational than others. It's not the mods as much as it's the poster.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]