collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Observatory archery bull elk  (Read 2936 times)

Offline pygmy1985

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Observatory archery bull elk
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »
Hello all,
I drew an archery Observatory bull tag this year.  I am familiar with Manastash unit 340, as I hunted it in the past. I actually had the same tag about 12 years ago, and I missed a small 5 point like the guy shown in pics.  I saw just 3 small bulls (and cows and spikes) during that hunt.  It was in my opinion a bit crowded with bowhunters way back then, and it sounds more so now!

I have hunted elk in Winston unit but not for past several years. I've focused my efforts in the past few years on helping my kids get their deer.  (My daughter did get her 2nd buck last year in Manson. The migration had not started, so not lot of big bucks. Nevertheless, success on a smaller buck; thanks to Grade Creek Rd for his help!)

Anyways, I have scouted both units this summer, 2 quick weekend trips.   I really like the fact that the Umtanum 342 unit is not a general archery unit, so expect less pressure on the elk. It reminds me a lot of my home state of NM where elk roam similar habitat.  However, I did not have much luck finding a great amount of sign and elk.  I did search out several springs though.  It was also hot, in the 90s, so animals probably feeding late and to bed early. BTW, some of those roads in 342 are rough; almost lost my camper when the turnbuckles came undone!

I am considering starting day 1 - 2 in Manastash, as I expect this would be best chance in that unit, as come Sept 9, the area will be heavily hunted.   If I'm unsuccessful  there, I  might concentrate my effort in 340.

I have  researched and read lots of past posts for elk in these units on HW, and it has been helpful.  Some really nice bulls have been taken. I have also read another Observatory tag holders post this year, but didn't want to "hijack" his post.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Pygmy 1985 (Tom)

Offline elkfins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Observatory archery bull elk
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »
There will be a higher concentration of elk in the western end of both units.  If I had that tag (and I do, along with 2 others in my camp), I would focus my efforts between the northwest section of 342 up towards Frost Mtn. in 340.

Offline pygmy1985

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »
Thanks Elkfin.  I'm familiar with Frost Mtn.  The reprods a great area.  There's also some thicker timber nearby. Sounds great that you and 2 buddies will be out there as well. I'll pm you.
Pygmy

Offline pygmy1985

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
Hey HW folks, thanks to those of you who have already replied to my pm's.  I appreciate that.  I realize that CowboyCoyote previously started a post on Observatory elk tag.  I'm definitely not trying to over shadow his post.
But since I rarely post ( yup, mea culpa) I wanted you to know something about me, my efforts.  I know it's hard to share one's hard earned knowledge, particularly for someone who's not putting in any effort.
Thanks for reaching out to me, CoyoteCowboy and Elkfins, so we can share some info and all have a great season !

So here's a bit about me. I love to bowhunt, recurve only. I have nothing against the mechanical efficiency and beauty of compounds, but I love the simplicity of launching a sharpened stick with a string and bow, with the hopes of impaling a tasty game animal. More often than not, I skewer the sod just under the belly of the beast.
Whether I "catch " (as my wife says)  a deer or elk, I enjoy trodding the woods or desert.  Most of my trophies have been captured on pics. 

Probably like most of you , I enjoy sharing my outdoor endeavors with my kids, wife, nephews,  friends, etc.  My son and daughter both took their first bucks at 11 years of age. My son was so excited shooting his buck, until he walked up to it; then he realized that hunting was not his bag (perhaps he shed a tear). My daughter, 5 years younger, proudly helped quarter her first buck.  She's my best hunting buddy.  I recall her matter of fact retort, when she was 5 years old, as I marveled that more women were getting into hunting, " dad, girls have always hunted!"
So, thanks to all who do contribute to HW.  It's a great site.  I will be hunting deer in my home state of New Mexico in January and there is nothing like HW there.
Pygmy1985

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU