collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 92310 times)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #345 on: September 15, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
I'll post photos If you can figure out a way of keeping coordinates off of pictures. I usually have my GPS off but it's not worth the risk of ruining a spot to show off a picture of a buck to people I'll never know.

You can always take a picture of the photo while looking at it on your laptop etc. No way those coordinates could ever get out that way. Not the best pics but a extra safe guard.

You can screen shot the picture with your phone too. You'll get a quality picture that way.

Yes indeed. I email most pics to myself rather then posting from my phone as well.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline STRINGSHOOTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #346 on: September 15, 2017, 10:38:55 AM »
I joined a couple years ago as a novice bowhunter. A buddy at work got me hooked on archery and I jumped all in. The Forum was very helpful to me with all kinds of helpful information, and some members gave me some great advice. I don't post unless I have something to share, and I am more in the learning mode at this point. I didn't kill anything my first season, and a shoulder injury has prevented any hunting since.
I do enjoy the comaraderie between some of the "senior" members who are well known, and try to learn as much as I can from those more experienced. (I always wondered what happened to the guy with the Seahawks gloves logo who had some controversy/trail cam issue, as he was very informative as well).
I have met a lot of hunters and ask if they are on the forum and each one has told me no for various reasons. I tell them to check it out.
So for me, it is THE resource for all it's information on a "local" level as opposed to all the other hunting media, and the personal exchanges of info are valuable. The pics, videos, stories and tips get me pumped and serve as my mountain motivation.
That's why I come to the forum, all the other stuff is prevalent everywhere else. I see this as a brotherhood of responsible hunters. Thanks to all of you who have taught and inspired me! :twocents:

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #347 on: September 15, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »
The other solution, of course, is to use an actual camera rather than a phone to take your photos. Doesn't anybody carry a camera in their pack anymore?
Not when most phones are 16mp the same quality as a pocket digital camera. Only issue is no zoom really on your cell, but it's way more convenient.

Offline croix

• Sourdough
  • 2005 Blacktail
« Reply #348 on: September 15, 2017, 01:35:10 PM »
I haven't been on this site since last year. Over the last several year I typically show up each year to see which lucky SOBs get special draws, and again when I want to see early success stories. When I found this thread it occurred to me that I've been hitting this site for a few consecutive days and hadn't become completely enraged.... not even once. I didn't have the urge throat punch anyone and have in fact (dare I say it) ENJOYED being here.

I didn't follow this thread since it started back in august and was wholly unaware of the changes that were made, but based solely on the facts above I'd say things are looking up. Thanks.

-croix
Live your life in such a way that if someone were to speak poorly of you, nobody would believe them.

Browning A-Bolt II, 30-06
Hoyt Alphamax 32, 70/28

Offline O. hemionus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #349 on: September 23, 2017, 10:37:23 AM »
The other solution, of course, is to use an actual camera rather than a phone to take your photos. Doesn't anybody carry a camera in their pack anymore?

If you don't own a smartphone like myself, then you carry a camera in your pack. Unfortunately like Smossy's Girl pointed out, the 4mp resolution of my point-and-shoot leaves much to be desired (reference this video I just posted...http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,218579.0.html). Wish I had a smart phone strictly for photo purposes.

Alternately, one could carry a GPS unit and then have the GPS turned off on the phone so you wouldn't have to worry about the coordinate metadata being attached to the photo.

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »

Clearly....people don't carry cameras anymore....if they did they would use their cameras instead of cell phones.

I'm not picking on you Bobcat, although when I used to post more frequently I did. His comment and MY response, is EXACTLY why people post less or lurk forever.

Text is very easily misunderstood and even more so when you find a person who seems to "virtually rub you the wrong way." I rarely agree with anything Bobcat ever says. As a result of that I form an opinion of him that may or may not be correct, BUT I see his comments in a different light than somebody else might.

So when he posts something like, "doesn't anybody carry a camera anymore?" I read that as....if you don't carry a camera, you are a not nice person. Another person, who might know Bobcat personally, doesn't see his comment the same way I do. That's just human nature and can't be legislated.

Bobcat could potentially be my future best friend....I don't know but most of us react before we think and it is rare to find a person who can accurately articulate their thoughts through text....I tend to be one of those people. I use 98% of my daily patience quota on other stuff. It's better for the site, for me to post less OR only post when I'm in the right mood.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:45:11 PM by Woodchuck »

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #351 on: September 29, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
Holy cow I spent some time looking at early threads in off topics and I'll be upfront and say there was a time when OffTopics was pretty much a native bashing cesspool--those with the strongest opinions tended be the lightest on intellect. Whatever changes have occurred were sorely needed. It's good that those threads are back a ways because they are an embarrassment to this sight and cast hunters exactly in the light that the liberal media would like cast on them--simple minded degenerates.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #352 on: September 29, 2017, 03:03:13 PM »
Holy cow I spent some time looking at early threads in off topics and I'll be upfront and say there was a time when OffTopics was pretty much a native bashing cesspool--those with the strongest opinions tended be the lightest on intellect. Whatever changes have occurred were sorely needed. It's good that those threads are back a ways because they are an embarrassment to this sight and cast hunters exactly in the light that the liberal media would like cast on them--simple minded degenerates.

Don't know if you saw them... there were some really great discussions and contributions on native hunting and how it roles out.. CostalNative, a guy from the Colville and PlateauNDN  have made some great contributions despite the venomous attacks they recieved.  I think its too bad because  they gave the average guy some insight.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »

Don't know if you saw them... there were some really great discussions and contributions on native hunting and how it roles out.. CostalNative, a guy from the Colville and PlateauNDN  have made some great contributions despite the venomous attacks they recieved.  I think its too bad because  they gave the average guy some insight.  :twocents:

Oh, I should have clarified that I did find a few gems but for the most part it was a cesspool. The amount of uneducated nonsense being spewed was embarrassing--at least I was embarrassed for the ignorant. In almost every thread you have someone saying they should only be able to use the means they had when the treaties were signed and then referenced spears etc... Of course, anyone with even a middle-schooler's understanding of American history knows the Indians had firearms at that point in time (the mid 1850's).

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
Let's not go down this path as there is not anything good at the end. We appreciate the feedback.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #355 on: October 01, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »
I will work on posting more.  No real reason for slowing down, other than not having much time in front of a computer.  I have always loved this site.  I never got angry with anything that happened here through the years.  I was sad to see some of the early division, and disagreements, because I saw both sides had quality people with legitimate positions and I wished they could have found common ground.  I look forward to the time I get to spend on here and seeing everyone's results.  It looks like Dale has assembled a good team of mods to help run the site.  I would encourage everyone to use the "report to the moderator feature"  When topics were going hot and heavy, it was really hard to keep up with, and you have a sense of responsibility to try to read everything and that can get overwhelming.  Personally, I really enjoy when people share a bit more and you feel like you get to know them.  That can be tough on a large forum.  I am sad to hear about the negativity from the trolls.  I am always one to enjoy a good debate that is well thought out and where view points are smartly defended, but discouraging someone instead of building them up is horrible. 
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline hoof rot

• Hunter
  • everything tastes better on the wetside
« Reply #356 on: October 05, 2017, 08:48:14 AM »
U deleted my post lol, truth hurts

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #357 on: October 05, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
I didn't see it.  I'll go look though.   

Oh yes, well, your message was clear, but part of the cleanup is language and attitude.   I asked for folks opinions and was willing to take them all.  Thank you for your input. 

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #358 on: October 05, 2017, 10:24:15 AM »
I did delete the post. Opinions are fully welcome both positive and negative. Vulgar terminology will get a post removed.  As Bone said,  that is part of the changes.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #359 on: October 05, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
Thanks for keeping the place civil gentlemen!  It is appreciated!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]