collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 92304 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
Keep it up guys. I'm taking in every word. 

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »
 :) I don't know, I have posted dumb stuff, have posted and been totally misunderstood, have misunderstood others, sometimes it is hard to explain a thought. I know every time I write a post and hit "enter" I cringe and wait for the attack. I suppose a bit more patience on everybodys part might be good.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline JL

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, CCRKBA, RMEF
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
I've shared a few times but mostly don't. When I pondered why I don't share my hunts or experiences in the outdoors , I guess it's the same reason I mostly hunt alone these days.
What I get out of the outdoors and my experiences are precious to me and i find myself not wanting to bother sharing with anyone that doesn't get exactly the same as what I get out of it.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.

That makes perfect sense to me cbond.

I do really enjoy and appreciate this forum. On it daily, just don't post much. What's stuck out at me the most is how this group comes together when another member is dealt a tough hand. It's inspired me.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »
I will post when I can help someone out, whether with a product or guidance on a topic I am familiar with. I  don't  chime in on various topics with strong opinions. All are entitled to their own.
PlateauNDN,  I truly enjoy your posts and perspective on many topics. pleased continue. would love to meet you one day.
best to all, Jackson
:yeah:
Jackson summed it up just fine, I will post when I can help or when someone is asking a specific question that I can answer. If it is my opinion I always add the  :twocents: Someone on a post early this week that it's a few folks that are causing most of the issues? Maybe the Rule of 80-20 applies here as well, that is 20% of the people screw it up for the other 80%  :dunno: just a thought.
I joined in 2008 when Killbilly was still active, he dropped off as well. I have meet some great folks on this site over the years and not one has been a disappointment. Some of the members I would really want to meet in person would be @PlateauNDN, @campmeat and @jrebble to name a few
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
I will chime into a thread if I can help with knowledgeable info. I'm not getting into an argument thread with people over my belief's vs theirs , not worth my time. I will never post a picture / story  of any of my animals , past or future because of all the nit pickers or the negative comments that I will hear because I chose to hunt a different way than someone else ( long range ).
 I will say ALL the members I have meet in person are some of the greatest people I've met.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:20:05 PM by huntandjeep »
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:20:56 PM by huntandjeep »
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »
I've joined several forums just to get specific issues answered: photo, GPS, automotive, etc. Users are generally willing to share information freely because it has no effect on them.

That's not true with hunting information. If I tell someone where to hunt, it may hurt my opportunities. If it's someone I don't know and he hasn't demonstrated any effort on his own then I am probably inclined to not provide much specific help. Hunters are reluctant to share information that may adversely affect their own hunting. That's understandable to us.

New hunters may not understand that. They come on with one post asking for help, just like I and they do on other forums, expecting to get some information.

I've asked for and have been given help by multiple members. A lot of it occurs via PMs.  Again, new members don't realize the barriers in place when asking for help or how best to ask.

I think the solution is for experienced hunters to understand that new members are just that, and not answer in such a way that they are turned off and give up.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
I really enjoy this site. I like to post positive comments on other members success and their willingness to share. I usually go back and forth at the end of every hunting season as to whether or not I'm going to share my hunts. I try to help when I can, and have seldom asked for help. That being said, when I have asked for help and advice (usually via PM) I've gotten some really great advice from good people.

This site is like any other on the web... you will always get the good with the bad. People are people. Some are cool, and some suck... I do know that when I choose to post something that I will get a majority of good positive comments along with the inevitable negative comment. (Especially if you have shot a big animal, or found a big antler... for some reason the hate/jealousy just pours out when that happens).

Anyways, I enjoy this site and am on it everyday. The majority of the time I'm just reading other posts. When I do post, I don't get worked up over other people's negativity. I just enjoy the good people on here and look past the people who seem to live for shooting other people down or looking for flaws.

I appreciate all of you hunters out there that have the same passion that I do. To all of you guys, thanks for sharing your experiences, advice and knowledge. Hunting season is finally upon us! Another thing that really helps this site, haha :tup:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2017, 05:18:23 PM »
Keep it up guys. I'm taking in every word.

:yeah: glad to see folks opening up with their thoughts
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 05:23:50 PM »
 :BearPaw...thank you for even starting this thread...I have often wanted to say what I said but figured I would just be putting a Target on my back. I really do enjoy this site and look forward to positive changes to come...and to be more involved.
Mike

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
I posted earlier about what makes me think. Twice about posting pics.   

But I have gotten tons of great help from people here.   And I have met a bunch of members.    I'm glad to know every single one I've met. 

That FAR outweighs any negatives.   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Alex4200

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »
For me, I have always been more of a listener than a talker. I will try to post something when I feel like I have something to add to a conversation, but that doesn't happen often. I just feel like there are a lot more knowledgeable people on this site than me.

I almost always get some form of entertainment from this site. Mostly enjoy reading the positive and try to ignore the negative. Trick is learning when it is better to move on from a topic than to get pulled into one. Maybe I would post more if I knew how to let people know I am being sarcastic sometimes. :P

I think that too many times I see the result of a society (not just this site) that is quick with a short vague text response without thinking about how it can be interpreted. Then someone responds back without actually reading what the original post was about. And then the fight is on. We as a society have forgotten the art of conversation.

Offline cookingdaily

• Hunter
  • USMC 90-94
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »
I find that when people ( new to the area or new hunters) ask questions people always assume they want a honey hole and don't get any help. I joined because there is a lot of knowledge here from other hunters but it seams that it takes a lot for people to share. Case in point new hunter down by Vancouver asked where he could take his kids out most of the responses were look in the reg book or go the the F&G office and get maps WTH you guys know areas that you could have suggested but instead of helping you kind of blew him off. That's why I don't ask or post on here hardly anymore. I thought this site was supposed to welcome and educate new hunters with your wealth of experiences
There are 2 things no one can take from me!
My Word and My Handshake both of which are True!
Had to steal this, I live this motto daily

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
I totally quit the gun etc boards, got sick if being told how wrong I was, how only x y z was the right or real deal and basically got tired of one or two dudes with a penis mea surfing contest.  I left the politics for much the same.  I quit the advocacy again thevsame.  I hang out in the Bigfoot thread mostly because my friends are there.  I hang out in the women's board because men aren't in there answering all the questions desiring a female perspective.

So yes I used to post a lot now just isn't worth it.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
Before OT, threads were edited, locked or rude people banned.  It kept civility(is that a word?) amongst members.  Things were still discussed like Hawks, Obama, laws, etc. but with OT it has attracted people who are basically only interested in these things.  It fosters and breeds it, resulting in a growing change to the forum.  More of this unfiltered rhetoric by more people interested in this.  It is a cancer overtaking its host and poisoning the host life in the process.  Nitpicking, resentments, internet police, pic geotagging etc all of it is fostered from the negative OT forum imop.  Before OT we could still discuss the same things but it was civil, respectful and rude jerks were not tolerated.  Huntwa is a victim of its own success.  A downhill turn will soon follow if it hasn't happened yet.  I find myself thinking would my life be better without it?  Hmm, some times I think yes after reading the not so nice stuff.  I am a person who has zero time on facebook in my life so I may see things different. :dunno:  A few people I referred to this site checked on it and told me ya its cool, some good info but no thanks its like facebook with know it all and judgey dogooders.  I am far from innocent in regards to OT posts but at least I recognize the problem.  I don't tell stories, post pics or offer up much anymore.  I used too.  I will say all members I have met have been really good people and that is because of this site so thank you.  Its tough for Bearpaw and Mods to keep order and people happy but you all do a good job so I trust you will improve things as best ya can.
MAGA!  Again..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand