collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 92308 times)

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2017, 06:52:36 PM »
We have (or had) an number of knowledgeable members who contributed worthwhile tech on experiences and equipment and I try to augment their comments where possible to help keep the forum active.  Hopefully more lurkers will jump in and do so.  Posters that get no responses eventually stop posting.  Ignore the trolls, just jump in and participate.  Select Ignore for Off topics.  I think you even can ignore a user if you find them worth ignoring.

I wish instead of banning that users would get an ignore alert or something because some users have been banned that I wish weren't as I can take the good with the bad, though others may not.  Some subjects are thin and you ban a couple active users and there's no more activity there.

Or maybe ban from certain categories ?

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2017, 07:08:25 PM »
I really miss the Photo of the Month. That topic had great photos, contributors and yes, pictures too. When a quality topic dies (very apparent as top listed ) that brings down the overall board.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2017, 07:22:42 PM »
For some reason magnum, that particular topic comes with some of the biggest egos and pissing matches and apowder keg worth of drama.   It's really too bad because some of those players Were incredibly knowledgeable

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
I only post if I have something to actually contribute to the subject myself

This.

Offline rjmcm

• Tracker
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
Like some others have said there is a ton of information on this site and it is not all about hunting. gun shy would be the words I would use to describe why I don't post more. I check this site out almost every day, read the stories and look at the pictures, but I have quit reading most of the post due to how negative they get

Offline muleyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »
I was a lurker for a couple years before signing up for the forum.  I mainly like to read others hunting stories and seeing pictures like the multiple you post.

The thing I don't like about forums and all the social media is it seems like everyone needs to voice there opinions and is judgmental like mentioned above so I may read the thread but never share my opinion on them.  I only use a few forums but they are all pretty similar and you always have the guys that correct you when you are "wrong" or doing it a way they wouldn't.
these are my feelings exactly

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2017, 08:00:10 PM »
One thing a forum like this has over other social media is you could go to Africa and kill Cecil the lion, post a bunch of pics here - and not worry about death threats, or even any negativity on your success topic for that matter. 

Negativity on success topics is already against the forum rules and we'll crush it each and every time we find it; and if we don't find it please hit the report to moderator button and half a dozen mods will be there in mere minutes.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »
For some reason magnum, that particular topic comes with some of the biggest egos and pissing matches and apowder keg worth of drama.   It's really too bad because some of those players Were incredibly knowledgeable
I imagine if I was a moderator reading every post it could get pretty old!  I really appreciate those that put up with all of the egos to keep this going.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:51:27 PM by Magnum_Willys »

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2017, 08:30:54 PM »
I never considered myself an esteemed member. However, there are personalities that seem to live to stir the pot and post worthless garbage...and an unwillingness to just get rid of the chronic problem children that took the fun out of it. I have watched a good number of great and knowledgeable members quit the site or totally change the way they interact because they're stuck dealing with j@ackasses whenever they're online. I'd include Bone in that group, it doesn't seem as fun for him or many of the mods anymore.

As such, this is my first post since April and probably my last for a while. I come on here once in a while to check classifieds now but that's about it.

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »
We had some good chats, glad you're still around jonathan_s

Keep an eye out for mentions

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
Yes sir. Thanks for the interest you guys show in keeping or returning the site to what you want It to be. There's been great times on huntwa  :tup:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2017, 08:46:22 PM »
Respect for each other and some humility would bring this site back to where it needs to be.  Stop assuming you are an expert and try to learn something.  Never discuss politics or religion is what I was taught.  Be empathetic to others.  That's all. Oh and grow up.  You are just one of seven billion.  You aren't that important.

SR1

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »
One thing a forum like this has over other social media is you could go to Africa and kill Cecil the lion, post a bunch of pics here - and not worry about death threats, or even any negativity on your success topic for that matter. 

Negativity on success topics is already against the forum rules and we'll crush it each and every time we find it; and if we don't find it please hit the report to moderator button and half a dozen mods will be there in mere minutes.

1. Maybe this stance should be used for all the topics :dunno:

2. "Report to moderator" I have never used this, I can usually roll with anything and just ignore some of the off replies.  Does this get used much?  I believe it may help to improve things if more folks took advantage of it, maybe a "Report to Mod-Please use it" campaign to get more folks familiar with it and use it. Then if certain members are showing a trend of negativity, name calling, nit picking, etc. use the 3 strikes rule.
1st a warning, 2nd give them a short vacation, 3rd time, send them packing for good. Sounds kind of harsh, but this is what I believe is needed....Got to pull the weeds from the garden if you want the good stuff to grow.

3. Pictures, we all like them, but seems a lot are worried about GPS tags giving away their locations. Is there anything in the help areas that explain how to keep these off your pics? Either way, this help needs to be more easily accessible for folks. Or is there a way the forum could be set up to do it automatically with any pic posted?
  Nit picking of photos should be handled asap.....again 3 strikes rule....... Got to pull some more weeds.

4. Off Topics, Very rarely post there, but is a good place to "learn" about other members  :chuckle:. 3 strikes rule in OT too IMO.  This should remove quite a few more weeds  ;)

5. Maybe add a couple more Mods, or give the current ones Thors hammer.  :violent1:
(PS- Thanks to  all the current ones for doing what you do.  :tup:)

6. Garden will be weed free soon, we reap what we sow.  :twocents: :twocents:

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2017, 08:50:18 PM »
I wonder if more in-person get-togethers would alleviate some of the problems mentioned in this thread.

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2017, 09:28:10 PM »
I like to hunt and fish. If I'm not hunting and fishing I like talking about it. The left vs right, east vs west is BS and been going on for a while. Focus on what you have in common rather what you don't. I have my opinions on certain things and have expressed them in disagreement with others, it doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion. I can't say I've received the same courtesy back. I check bones picks, hirshey's hunting stories, lokie's fishing stories and pics. Have had help with several auto projects from coach and others on here. Have hauled stuff across the state for a few members, sent a few new hunters and fishers to succesful spots. If I wanted politics or which side of the state grows bigger peckers, I would go to a site that specializes in that garbage.  Mostly just jump in to check classifieds anymore because this site has deviated from what I was looking for when I joined. I will say I have met some great people through here.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]