collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 92335 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
I like to hunt and fish. If I'm not hunting and fishing I like talking about it. The left vs right, east vs west is BS and been going on for a while. Focus on what you have in common rather what you don't. I have my opinions on certain things and have expressed them in disagreement with others, it doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion. I can't say I've received the same courtesy back. I check bones picks, hirshey's hunting stories, lokie's fishing stories and pics. Have had help with several auto projects from coach and others on here. Have hauled stuff across the state for a few members, sent a few new hunters and fishers to succesful spots. If I wanted politics or which side of the state grows bigger peckers, I would go to a site that specializes in that garbage.  Mostly just jump in to check classifieds anymore because this site has deviated from what I was looking for when I joined. I will say I have met some great people through here.
My woodpeckers are totally the biggest.  :chuckle:
I think many of the great people on here are still interacting just far less openly on the forums and more behind the scenes.
 The awesome people are still here just a little quieter I think.

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »
I like to hunt and fish. If I'm not hunting and fishing I like talking about it. The left vs right, east vs west is BS and been going on for a while. Focus on what you have in common rather what you don't. I have my opinions on certain things and have expressed them in disagreement with others, it doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion. I can't say I've received the same courtesy back. I check bones picks, hirshey's hunting stories, lokie's fishing stories and pics. Have had help with several auto projects from coach and others on here. Have hauled stuff across the state for a few members, sent a few new hunters and fishers to succesful spots. If I wanted politics or which side of the state grows bigger peckers, I would go to a site that specializes in that garbage.  Mostly just jump in to check classifieds anymore because this site has deviated from what I was looking for when I joined. I will say I have met some great people through here.
My woodpeckers are totally the biggest.  :chuckle:
I think many of the great people on here are still interacting just far less openly on the forums and more behind the scenes.
 The awesome people are still here just a little quieter I think.

:tup:

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2017, 10:42:53 PM »
Not friendly people. Tried helping over the years got burnt out.  Rick

Some of us greatly appreciate your help and donations! Bownanza was a great success for us. I have a formal thank you letter in progress, but saw an opportunity to say thanks again here.

Offline argali

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »
The forum as a lot of good info. I listen to learn !

Offline davyboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2017, 01:11:17 AM »
I think a lot of it for me is the is the constant bashing. I seen a lot of folks come in and ask for advice or help on something and they get steam rolled because they don't have enough post under their names. I have been a member on here for quite some time and visit almost daily. As some have said I am more of a listener than a talker, or in this case more of a reader than a typist.

Online TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2017, 07:46:58 AM »
One thing a forum like this has over other social media is you could go to Africa and kill Cecil the lion, post a bunch of pics here - and not worry about death threats, or even any negativity on your success topic for that matter. 

Negativity on success topics is already against the forum rules and we'll crush it each and every time we find it; and if we don't find it please hit the report to moderator button and half a dozen mods will be there in mere minutes.

1. Maybe this stance should be used for all the topics :dunno:

2. "Report to moderator" I have never used this, I can usually roll with anything and just ignore some of the off replies.  Does this get used much?  I believe it may help to improve things if more folks took advantage of it, maybe a "Report to Mod-Please use it" campaign to get more folks familiar with it and use it. Then if certain members are showing a trend of negativity, name calling, nit picking, etc. use the 3 strikes rule.
1st a warning, 2nd give them a short vacation, 3rd time, send them packing for good. Sounds kind of harsh, but this is what I believe is needed....Got to pull the weeds from the garden if you want the good stuff to grow.

3. Pictures, we all like them, but seems a lot are worried about GPS tags giving away their locations. Is there anything in the help areas that explain how to keep these off your pics? Either way, this help needs to be more easily accessible for folks. Or is there a way the forum could be set up to do it automatically with any pic posted?
  Nit picking of photos should be handled asap.....again 3 strikes rule....... Got to pull some more weeds.

4. Off Topics, Very rarely post there, but is a good place to "learn" about other members  :chuckle:. 3 strikes rule in OT too IMO.  This should remove quite a few more weeds  ;)

5. Maybe add a couple more Mods, or give the current ones Thors hammer.  :violent1:
(PS- Thanks to  all the current ones for doing what you do.  :tup:)

6. Garden will be weed free soon, we reap what we sow.  :twocents: :twocents:

Well put as always Nock Nock.

I've got a lot more posts than some guys do that have been here as long or longer and a lot less than others. I guess it has happened slowly but reflecting back, the site has gone South with negative posts and responses along with the nitpicking.  If there isn't moderation of OT I probably need to opt out of it and ignore it.  In my opinion the language and innuendos by a small group of guys is out of control. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed posts with story's of OIL tags as well as well written posts of a hunt they had.  I have bought lots of gear and weapons from great people from this site off of the classifieds. 

I love the idea of the three strikes.  If your parents didn't teach you a simple rule of "If you can't say anything nice don't say it at all" then there is not much hope for you.

I have admittedly been sucked in a couple of times in OT by one member.  This current site evaluation makes me realize I need to simply not go there ever again.  Lesson learned.

A sincere "Thank You" to Bearpaw and all the Mod's for your time and dedication to this site.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:50:33 AM by TVHunts »
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2017, 08:12:37 AM »
Wow, what a thread!

Thanks Bone for starting it.

There is a ton of great input here. If you agree with someone's post in here please chime in. I just read the entire thread and there are definitely certain things that keep coming up. That really helps understand what issues to address first.

Thanks to everyone that has replied and please keep the replies coming.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline smittyJ

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2017, 08:15:06 AM »
I post occasionally and comment where I feel appropriate but with all of the knowledgeable folks on here mainly sit back and learn. Our hunting group still goes to our yearly camp but as most are in our mid 70s+ we don't hunt like the young bucks.  As far as the Off Topics section goes, it is what it is and keep the flaming there! I know it gets heated but that is where I go for my daily chuckles, we could stop the name calling though. 

Offline jae

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »
Great thread! If people want others to post then be respectful and encouraging to others, Not critical and jealous.
Most of my friends have either stopped posting or just do not look on here anymore. Because of that, there have been some great stories and photos taken that will not to on here.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2017, 08:44:57 AM »
First of all I'm sure I have been that jack wagon that is being talked about at least a few times.  :rolleyes:

But I try to think about a post for a few seconds anymore before posting, it helps to keep stupid things from being said.

And yes I've been less active myself do to the negativity that has flourished of lately, I'm remember when I joined its was a lot more friendly, and informative then now.

And heh if u don't lik bad gramer toufg beesns, suck it up buter cup and don't tels us about it. Were not all paper pusher with engesh degrees. :beatdeadhorse:

Go cryder. :rockin:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
Great thread! If people want others to post then be respectful and encouraging to others, Not critical and jealous.
Most of my friends have either stopped posting or just do not look on here anymore. Because of that, there have been some great stories and photos taken that will not to on here.

I hope in conversation you can tell them we are trying our hardest to fix things and they will rethink it and come back.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2017, 09:08:26 AM »
I will sometimes appear as a "lurker" only for the fact my phone isn't signed into my account. Only my tablet and computer are.

So, ya, people who view but don't post, come on! We'd love to see some of your stories, or even just hear them if you are concerned about your secret spots!

Its a great community for the most part. Come join the fun.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »

Basically if we all stop posting then there really isn't a forum, or it's a forum with just crap posts.  Simple analogy, if everyone is eating the candy from the dish but no one is filling the dish, the dish isn't going to stay full long.   I plan on trying my best to listen to everyone's points here.   I've been here since day 3 or something like that.  I've seen a lot of folks come and go and some come back.  I'm pretty proud of our family here.

Offline pygmy1985

• Hunter
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
As a longtime lurker, I appreciate the forum. It's been a resource kind  of like Google earth or Rokslide or Washington Trails so I can explore (or think about) new areas in Washington.  I actually don't spend much time hunting or fishing like some members because of my family and job commitments, so I live vicariously through others adventures!

Like some have said, I am more of a listener than a talker.  If I had more to offer, then I might post more.
Only last year and this year have I sought advice since I drew some tags and I wanted to maximize my chances of success.  However, I realize that this forum exists because members contribute, so I will try to do so even if it's just by way of low quality digiscope pics or quick stories of my daughter's success!
I do agree as some have said that sometimes rare posters, i.e., "lurkers" asking for help seem shunned.  I get it in part, " taking and not giving."   However,  I can also say that some members have been quite helpful and welcoming . HW should stay inviting because the success of blogs and forums, etc relies on the site being visited.

There are pay offs for HW that may not be apparent by a members number of posts. For instance, I never expected that I would spend some cash for info on where to find spring turkey, but I did so 2 years ago.  Bear Paws info allowed me to find a spring turkey for my daughter; for me, it was money well spent! 

Realize too that by keeping me interested in hunting and fishing, I share that enthusiasm with friends; now one such friend and his daughter are shooting bow and taking their hunters safety course. If they decide they want to hunt, I'll invite them. They will likely become HW members. That's a kind of "pay it forward" situation in my book.
So those are my two cents.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »

Basically if we all stop posting then there really isn't a forum, or it's a forum with just crap posts.  Simple analogy, if everyone is eating the candy from the dish but no one is filling the dish, the dish isn't going to stay full long.   I plan on trying my best to listen to everyone's points here.   I've been here since day 3 or something like that.  I've seen a lot of folks come and go and some come back.  I'm pretty proud of our family here.

Restock the candy dish with some posts   :yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw