collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear - kill kit question  (Read 7625 times)

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bear - kill kit question
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »
So @bearpaw and @fillthefreezer, if I'm trying to keep the pack lighter but I still want to be effective, a Havalon and hatchet should do the trick for the bigger animals? 

FYI bearpaw, I stand behind my comment on the lurker thread... I'm 10x the hunter I was before because of this site.  Thanks for the advice guys! :tup:

Thanks!!

Curtis

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »
So @bearpaw and @fillthefreezer, if I'm trying to keep the pack lighter but I still want to be effective, a Havalon and hatchet should do the trick for the bigger animals? 

FYI bearpaw, I stand behind my comment on the lurker thread... I'm 10x the hunter I was before because of this site.  Thanks for the advice guys! :tup:

Thanks!!

Curtis
to each their own, but youll never find a hatchet in my pack. ill pick up a saw when dropping a load of meat if i want to skull cap something but thats it. deer, bear, elk, moose, i havent wished for any other tools than small knives to this point. i will say, that outdoor edge knife was superior to my havalon, side x side.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »

Thanks!!

Curtis

A saw or small hatchet can take care of bones and brisket on large animals easier than a knife, if you don't want the extra weight of packing either of those, a knife will easily split a bear open if you cut along the side of the brisket.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »
The only advise I can give was told to me long time ago ,by some old timers.Is if you don't debone right away and plan on draging to the truck like deer is after gutting cut down to the pelvic bone and ball joints to let meat cool,said bears hold the heat in there body better cause of fat ,and your meat will won't cool if you have to drag a long way.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
The only advise I can give was told to me long time ago ,by some old timers.Is if you don't debone right away and plan on draging to the truck like deer is after gutting cut down to the pelvic bone and ball joints to let meat cool,said bears hold the heat in there body better cause of fat ,and your meat will won't cool if you have to drag a long way.

Their bones actually hold heat as well.  Bear is the only animal I work on deboning quickly if I am in the back 40.  If I'm closer to the truck I worry less.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »

That's true about bear holding heat and needing cooled fast, they can spoil quickly. The hide needs to come off as soon as possible and the heat needs to escape as quickly as possible. If not close to a vehicle you had better break it down, if you can't pack it all in one trip hang the rest in a shaded spot until you get back. If it's hot and there is a stream that's a great way to cool meat.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 10:55:51 AM »
The old timer that told me was my dad ,when we where draging a bear out.Many years ago.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
I much prefer the gutless method my self. I only pack a knife. No saw or hatchet. If it's hot I'll debone before packing but other wise de-boning is done at camp. Snowed on me last year while recovering my bear. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:24:45 AM by jasnt »
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
Carry a bottle of white vinegar with you. If you get one rub your exposed skin with it and rub some on the bear. It will keep the bees hornets and wasps away

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
Carry a bottle of white vinegar with you. If you get one rub your exposed skin with it and rub some on the bear. It will keep the bees hornets and wasps away

Interesting! I'll have to try this... especially since a person I plan on hunting with has a pretty severe bee allergy.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »

Interesting! I'll have to try this... especially since a person I plan on hunting with has a pretty severe bee allergy.
Ha! Yes I do! I saw this tip in another thread and took note of it. ;) :tup:
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,217302.0.html
It also was a good reminder that the wasps will be out for early season, which I hadn't considered.

Offline hntrspud

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA DU RMEF Washington for Wildlife SVEF
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 11:32:25 AM »
Doesn't soaking the bags in vinegar give off a smell for the animals? Will it come from your pack and spook them?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 06:36:48 AM »

Cool tip, thanks!

We always carried black pepper, but you still have a few ornery yellow jackets.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt