collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody breeding meat rabbit?  (Read 53769 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Anybody breeding meat rabbit?
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2018, 09:18:34 PM »
I was told a while back that plastic cans won’t create as much moisture as galvanized cans do. If you’re going through a bunch of feed, it’s probably a non issue. We did the garbage can thing a while but we use vittles vaults now.
My kid has 2 litters now and we bred another doe last night. She’s not showing right now so might as well work on some new show prospects.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
Re: Anybody breeding meat rabbit?
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2018, 03:30:19 PM »
I have three litters New Zealand/Rex crosses that are about ready to butcher if any one wants any. There are 22 little ones, I'd like to keep half.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2018, 07:09:59 AM »
I have three litters New Zealand/Rex crosses that are about ready to butcher if any one wants any. There are 22 little ones, I'd like to keep half.
That's fantastic! The majority of my breedings were unsuccessful this year (I think heat sterility, plus I lost a doe this spring.) I think my boys may come inside the garage next summer. Fortunately we're not lacking for meat yet from helping others with culls. I have 3 does hopefully due early October.

Anyway, that's great that you're sharing this opportunity with others. :)  :hello:

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »
We breed rabbits, and have about 20-30 rabbits we butcher 2-3xs a year. we have a huge room set up with 55g feeders that the food represent remove replenishes as the eat
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »
Good stuff, folks. I started helping a buddy get his breeding program going with some really nice Californian rabbits this past year. Sent a couple with kids to a couple of the local fairs for market and youth livestock sale animals. Kids did good there and the rabbits did good too. We managed to fill a freezer or 2 as well.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
 :tup:

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
How big do the Californians get? I was going to keep a buck.from this cross for my next spring breeding and then get rid of it and keep a buck from that set to use.
WAC
NRA

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2018, 07:23:18 PM »
Max weight on senior bucks is 10 pounds.  Does are 10.5 pounds.

This doe is a young senior so a little over 8 months old.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »
How big do the Californians get? I was going to keep a buck.from this cross for my next spring breeding and then get rid of it and keep a buck from that set to use.

Have you considered Champagne D'argent?  The mature does get up to 12 lbs and have a really nice meat ratio. I'm seriously considering ditching my New Zealands moving to just D'argent and crossed after growing some of each out.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »
If you’re growing for meat, growth rate is where it’s at,  not so much maximum size. You look for the best quality animal you can afford and know about growth rates of their offspring. This doe I posted pics of above is from a litter that was 4.5-5 pounds at 10 weeks old. That’s pretty darn good so we held her back. We just processed a litter that was 14 weeks and they had a lot of fat buildup on them because we waited too long to harvest them.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2018, 08:11:25 PM »

Have you considered Champagne D'argent?  The mature does get up to 12 lbs and have a really nice meat ratio. I'm seriously considering ditching my New Zealands moving to just D'argent and crossed after growing some of each out.

Martie likes that cross if I remember correctly.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2018, 08:28:03 PM »
If you’re growing for meat, growth rate is where it’s at,  not so much maximum size. You look for the best quality animal you can afford and know about growth rates of their offspring. This doe I posted pics of above is from a litter that was 4.5-5 pounds at 10 weeks old. That’s pretty darn good so we held her back. We just processed a litter that was 14 weeks and they had a lot of fat buildup on them because we waited too long to harvest them.
10 weeks? That's pretty good! I think my current NZ kits are at least 12 weeks now are approaching 5lb. The champagnes did grow out faster, but the only one I butchered died from heat. The remaining 3 of the litter were does. (Kept or bred).

One of Marty's does weighed in at over 13lbs last weekend in hermiston.  :chuckle: :chuckle: I'm going to try to get one of her kits. But yes, I've heard good things on CdA/NZ. I'm sure that cross will be bred later this fall.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Anybody breeding meat rabbit?
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:56 PM »
One of the rabbits we gave to a kid was 12 weeks old at  evergreen state fair in August and weighed 5 pounds 4 ounces. My buddy has more stats but that’s pretty common. The Cali lines were using comes from one of the top Cali breeders in the West.

There was 10-12 CdA’s at the Bremerton show yesterday.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2018, 06:26:39 PM »
My three does that were due (if they were impregnated) did not give birth this week.
But fortunately for me a couple of friends have culls that they need help with, so I wont be out of rabbit meat. The deal is that I keep half of what i butcher. That's my plan for tomorrow.
Meanwhile I've been making a new lean-to shelter for winter using scrap wood. It's still in a work in progress. It should fit my 2 stackers and a couple of growout cages. The roof is lined with plastic to keep out the moisture. It looks uneven because I didnt align the roof boards well. I promise the roof base is level.  :chuckle:

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2018, 01:56:39 PM »
It's nice having a roof over your rabbit pens.
Next year I want to do something different for my rabbit and laying chicken adventure. I am thinking of rabbits on one side and the chickens on the other side with an isle between..
WAC
NRA

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]