collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody breeding meat rabbit?  (Read 53772 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Anybody breeding meat rabbit?
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
Thanks, I get an urge once in a while but then remember how much hunting and fishing I haven't been doing in the last 10 years or so.   I've almost got rid of all my livestock, but did get chickens for my 1 youth still at home, its on her to take care of them. 

(She was so cute when she begged for those chicks 
:chuckle: :chuckle: )

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2022, 07:00:39 PM »
I'm finding widely varying numbers on how big the cages need to be. The only agreed upon thing is does who are breeding need more than bucks, which makes sense.

Do you guys have a general rule of thumb? Bigger is better? Too much room is a bad thing? Growing up we didn't breed ours they were pets and I'd get they were in 18"x30" cages.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2022, 09:45:13 PM »
Typically commercial breed does with litters are good to go in 30x30 cages.  Bucks I’d put in 24x30.
My kid’s 5 pound rabbits live in 24x24’s and 24x30’s for the does. Grow outs go in 18x24 for a couple weeks then if they’re staying they go into the bigger cages. She rotates the breeding does into the bigger cages when they’re bred. She’s got 8 big breeding cages. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2022, 07:24:22 AM »
🤔
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2022, 07:45:31 AM »
These are them. These ones even have nest boxes in the floors.

Can these be bought, or does one have to make them themselves?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2022, 02:21:49 PM »
These are them. These ones even have nest boxes in the floors.

Can these be bought, or does one have to make them themselves?

There used to be a guy on Craigslist that built and sold cages like that before, and I believe he was up north in wooley or concrete or something like that. He also sold New Zealand rabbits too.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2022, 02:50:07 PM »
What's the draw of hanging the cages? I keep running across plans for that.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Anybody breeding meat rabbit?
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2022, 02:53:48 PM »
What's the draw of hanging the cages? I keep running across plans for that.
Poop harvest.
Worm bins.
Less maintenance.
Cleanliness.

The situation has to be right to use them. It’ll ruin a concrete floor and the smell can build up. Ventilation is more important with this setup if you’re doing it for less maintenance.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 03:00:40 PM by jackelope »

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2022, 04:19:57 PM »
So I'm getting closer to starting my and the kids rabbit project. I'm in the gathering supplies for the hutch process and wanted to run my ideas off you experienced folks. I've got a large hazelnut tree that basically grows into my barn but provides a nice protective canopy for the area underneath it. My idea was to build a covered area off the barn that was basically just a roof with hanging hutches underneath. I think from all the reading ive done two does and a buck (or two if I should worry about loss) is a good and also manageable number for personal consumption, so i should build it sized for six cages correct? Four for the adults and two for the litters once they're out of moms cage?

Also can I put them back to back so I can access off either side? My idea is to not shed water where I'm trying to access the doors, but I don't know of having another rabbit right behind it and on either side matters? Should I build the smaller buck cages on opposite ends?

It's a pretty protected site from everything but wind, we get the occasional heavy winds here, should I build w wind screen or put it in the more protected but uncovered side of the barn? Itll keep them out of the sun and dry but I don't know how they deal with wind, I'd imagine they'd want something?

And finally, what about predatots? Barn cats? Coons? Bobcats? Losing chickens growing up seemed to be part of the game, is that something that comes along with rabbits too? Will a hanging wire hutch protect them enough or do critters find a way in?

Thanks for all the help so far folks. Looking forward to getting into it and the kids are actually too. Theyve loved killing and cleaning and then ultimately eating the geese and chickens I've had them be a part of so I think this will be both a good and fun experience for them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 04:37:23 PM by Jpmiller »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2022, 04:39:58 PM »
Dividers between the cages so they can’t bite each other, piss on each other or breed through the wire(it happens). You can buy metal dividers at klubertanz or just use some sheet metal. Make sure no sharp edges.

2 does and a buck will provide plenty of meat. You can line breed your buck to his offspring for a few generations and be fine if you want to add another doe. The buck will handle as many does as you can throw at him. Eventually you’ll need some new blood.

Keep the wind off of them. They’re totally fine in the coldest weather we get but wind and wet will kill them.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2022, 07:39:24 PM »
Predators seem to be a non issue. Lots of people raise rabbits the way you’re describing.

Buy quality foundation stock for your rabbit herd and it will produce quality meat. Don’t feed them a bunch of crap they don’t need.

Once your kids get hooked, get them into 4-H.  Last year WA state 4-H adopted a new market rabbit project. I’m the only Snohomish county market rabbit project leader at this point. Hoping it grows and becomes a thing.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2022, 08:45:06 PM »
Having raised rabbits for a number of years as a kid and with our kids the biggest predator issue we had either time was neighbor dogs. Dogs we never saw before showed up and would chase the rabbits around the cages and bite feet and toenails. Obviously, I have no idea your situation but if your place is not fenced dogs are something to think about. Raising rabbits is fun and the some of the best fertilizer you can have. Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2022, 06:34:58 PM »
I need to get new cages and a couple of does by spring time.

Any one close to Everett have any cages for sale?
PM me.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2023, 12:57:55 PM »
Got my hutch built out this weekend, still have to make nesting boxes and gets some waterers and I'll be set to start. Cages were a gift from my dad he used then for chicken quarentine years ago, I will build more but having trouble finding 1x 1/2" floor material in 14 or 16 gauge

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2023, 12:59:41 PM »
Sweet! I was gathering materials for mine and the wife decided she really wanted chickens so somehow my project got shut down lol

What breed are you going with?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand