collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Colockum Muzzy Bull Hunt  (Read 40347 times)

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: 2017 Colockum Muzzy Bull Hunt
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
Great videos!

Thanks for sharing
:yeah: Good luck on your hunt
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
Really cool footage! That'll get the blood flowing. I hope you land a giant on your hunt :tup:

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
Aren't you building your house this year too CMiller?   :o 
"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 04:00:54 PM »
Aren't you building your house this year too CMiller?   :o

Yes I am. And I'm preparing some wall space I'm hoping to fill up this fall.  :chuckle:

We must have a mutual friend.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 04:13:07 PM »
Great videos. That's a scouting trip I'd put in the books.  :tup:good luck on fulfilling that tag.

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »
8-27-17

Well my Dad and I made it out yesterday afternoon for another jaunt through some good looking elk country. I ended up finding an area that was just plowed up like a barn yard; tracks and dusty trails in about every direction. It was just tilled up. I found what looked to be some wolf tracks, which is always annoying, but the elk were in there and didn't seem too bothered by anything.

I was following a herd with a bugling bull. I never did get a glimpse at him, but he didn't sound overly large. He was giving out low-volume herd bugles/squeels fairly consistently for the last hour of light as the herd moved toward their feeding area. It won't be too long and they'll be going hot and heavy.

Hopefully the trail cams will produce this coming week!

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »
 :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
Good luck on your hunt!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »
8-27-17

Well my Dad and I made it out yesterday afternoon for another jaunt through some good looking elk country. I ended up finding an area that was just plowed up like a barn yard; tracks and dusty trails in about every direction. It was just tilled up. I found what looked to be some wolf tracks, which is always annoying, but the elk were in there and didn't seem too bothered by anything.

I was following a herd with a bugling bull. I never did get a glimpse at him, but he didn't sound overly large. He was giving out low-volume herd bugles/squeels fairly consistently for the last hour of light as the herd moved toward their feeding area. It won't be too long and they'll be going hot and heavy.

You picked up anything worthy of a first day notched tag on the trail cams yet? We're seeing a ton of bulls on our cams, just nothing in the category for the muzz bull tag yet. A couple that are close. Glad to hear they're warming up the pipes and establishing a pecking order already!  :tup:
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
8-27-17

You picked up anything worthy of a first day notched tag on the trail cams yet? We're seeing a ton of bulls on our cams, just nothing in the category for the muzz bull tag yet. A couple that are close. Glad to hear they're warming up the pipes and establishing a pecking order already!  :tup:

Nothing yet. But I'm highly optimistic he's out there! I've seen some pretty good looking rubs and other sign. There are some bigger bulls in there somewhere...

Offline Goose Noose

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
Ive got a UTV and am in the Colockum often.. let me know if you want some extra eyes. When does the hunt start? I have an idea where a couple big boys are right now..

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 07:47:54 PM »
Great thread. Congrats on all the tags. Best of luck and I will let you know what I see during the archery season. Hoping for a 350" bull myself but with a bow and having shot a big bull before anything over 300" that presents a good shot gets the air let out of it.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
Ive got a UTV and am in the Colockum often.. let me know if you want some extra eyes. When does the hunt start? I have an idea where a couple big boys are right now..

Thanks! The hunt starts for me on Sept. 30th.

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »
Great thread. Congrats on all the tags. Best of luck and I will let you know what I see during the archery season. Hoping for a 350" bull myself but with a bow and having shot a big bull before anything over 300" that presents a good shot gets the air let out of it.

Congrats on the tag! I'd say your odds are looking pretty good for finding a 300" from I've been seeing.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »

Congrats on the tag! I'd say your odds are looking pretty good for finding a 300" from I've been seeing.
That's what I think too.

After 300" it gets fuzzy up to 330-340 being able to field judge.  Anything that steps out and makes me say "WOW" I am definitely shooting.

I think what has impressed me the most this year is most everything I have seen has decent thirds and where I hunt that normally isn't the case. Not sure why they are bigger thirds this year than normal but I am happy that the year I have a tag in my pocket the thirds are looking good.

Good luck out there and I will be sure to PM you after my season.  My 15 year old daughter will actually be out during the muzzy season with a cow tag in her pocket.  Maybe we will see you with a tank in the back of your truck.  :tup:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]