collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Colockum Muzzy Bull Hunt  (Read 40349 times)

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: 2017 Colockum Muzzy Bull Hunt
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
Ya!!! What's taking so long  8)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »
 :ban:

We can help you stay away if needed. :chuckle: :dunno:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »
Heading back out now, here is a link to what will be my story so this thread doesn't get too far off track.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,218239.0.html
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2017, 10:42:35 AM »
So I've been busy working and haven't had time to post much. I've been out scouting a couple of times during the archery season.

Elk were pretty hush, hush last weekend in the evening where I was at. Sunday morning I went to another spot and got into some bugling action. Sneaked in on a couple of satellite bulls in their beds. A small 6x and a 5x. It was about 8:30 am and I had just herd a bull bulge a few minutes before. As I hiked up a ridge very slowly I stopped to scan the timber above me for any sign of an elk and caught some antlers. Scanning left and right I caught another set of antlers and knew right away there was no herd bull nearby. I had been duped into chasing this bull as opposed to the bugle up above me on large bench. I was directly down the hill from them and knew the thermals were about to switch and I didn't want to spook them as I was trying to get a look at the her bull. So, I cast a cow call back down behind me and to the left, just to see what would happen. Well, the bulls immediately stood up and looked passed me back down the ridge to my left. After about 15 seconds they walked left and headed down over the hill; presumably trying to get down wind of the cow call they had just heard.

Well, not 5 minutes later the thermals shifted and went straight up the ridge. I heard popping down below me but I didn't wait around to see if they would come on in. I was more eager to try and see some bigger bulls so I just had a good laugh at the situation; a situation that would never occur of course in a hunting situation, of course! How awesome it would be if I could time the thermals like that every time?...

Any how I did get some footage of another nice bull; not a shooter as I am guessing him to be in the 330-340" gross range, but still a great bull. He came walking by my buddy (who was archery hunting) and I at about 20 yards on opening morning. Of course!

Here is a video of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6lYKxkmOtk&feature=youtu.be

Offline WI to WA

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
Good luck! 

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
9-23-17

Well we went up Saturday afternoon after my kids' soccer games to put the trail cams back up after the archery general season to see if we could start reestablishing the whereabouts of the bulls in the area. Being an evening outing I wasn't expecting to hear any bugles if my current luck held as the last few evening trips did not generate any bugles; much to my surprise. But apparently my luck has changed.

Headed down to the wallow I wanted to put my cam on I walked into a cow standing broad side at about 80 yards at around 5:30pm. She didn't get a good look at me but did get nervous and trot on off with a couple other animals that I could not see. A good sign, I thought as I continued slowly on down the drainage. Approaching the wallow, I caught glimpses of them moving through the timber up to my right as I reached the wallow so I new they had not been spooked badly.

Arriving at the wallow I checked the area for sign. The recent rains have given a clean slate to the dry, dusty terrain making it much easier to age the elk sign. And there was fresh sign on the wallow as well as the surrounding trails. Things were looking good at this point and my optimism was up.

So I began setting up my trail camera and about halfway through that process I heard a good sounding bugle about 1/2 mile on down the draw in an area I knew to be a good bedding area. I checked my clock, 6:30pm, I had just enough time to get down there and get a look at the bull if I hurried so I quickly finished setting up and testing the camera and was off down the mountain. As I sneaked down a well used trail that paralleled a small creek, the bull bugled again. Great! I thought as I crossed the creek and began heading up the other side to where I had mentally pinpointed his location. I stopped to listen for breaking twigs or the sounds of an elk herd. Nothing. So, I continued on through the timber below where I thought they might be. It was a couple hundred yards to the ridge top where I suspected they were, but I cautiously moved along just to be safe. The thicker timber I was moving to came to a clearcut. I didn't really want to expose myself crossing it but it was really my only option that made sense. I noticed a 8' tall sapling out in the middle of the cut and I made my way to it before stopping so I had some cover to glass the timber above. Once I got to the tree, I began scanning the timber. It didn't take long and I spotted some antler tips. The bull was still in his bed and it was past 7 o'clock which seemed late to be in his bed still. I could tell that he was a very nice bull but not a shooter. I got some very rough footage of him and then began working my way up the ridge to verify that he was not a shooter and to make sure he was, in fact, the herd bull.

So I put the camera away and headed to the other side of the cut into some thicker cover. In my new setup I blew a cow call out behind me to see if I could get a response. Nothing. So I waited a minute or two and blew a couple more. Nothing again. I thought that was odd given the fact that he was bugling on his own so I started making my way up the ridge to see if he was still there. About halfway up to the top of the ridge I caught movement to my right. There he was just milling around and feeding away from me. Well that made me mad that he didn't respond to me and it was getting dark so I decided on a different approach...I through out a challenge bugle and then watched for his reaction. Well, that got his attention. He turned broad side and immediately let out a response. I cut him off with another challenge bugle and he just stood there. He didn't seem too aggressive so I tried to get him fired up. I grabbed a branch and started raking a small tree; all the while stomping my feet and trying to make as much noise as possible. He started coming back down the ridge to my left, but he was taking his time. I didn't have time to wait. When his route put a bunch of thick trees and brush between us I took off running up hill straight to him, jumping over logs, stomping on any twig I could and generally trying to sound like another bull elk. He just stood there as I got into the middle of the brush and trees between us. It was as far as I could go without stepping out into the open. He just stood there at about 40 yards. I let out another challenge bugle and started raking the nearest tree. He turned and started heading back up the hill to get a look at me, but I stayed hidden. He then barked at me, demanding that I step out and show myself. I knew that meant that I had to step out or shut up so I tried turning the tables. I barked back at him. He just stood there for a bit and barked again. So I barked again. This went on for a few more minutes before he noticed the cow he was with was heading on up the ridge so he just moseyed toward her general direction. It was dark at this point and I found out what I needed so I backed on out without spooking the herd and headed back to the truck. He ended up being a real pretty, symmetrical 7x7. Looked like a younger bull too. I figured him to be 325"+.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
 :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
9-24-17

We camped in another location on Saturday night and tried out some new areas on Sunday morning. Coming in that night we say a great looking bull 340"+ near the road with a cow so the area already had a positive feeling to it. The next morning, my Dad and cousin went one way and I another. I dropped down into a large draw to make my way over to the next ridge. As I was hiking up a hill at about 6:30am I heard the unmistakable sound of pounding hooves. I look up and catch a true spike running toward the ridge top. I quickly cow called and that stopped him for a few seconds. He didn't seem quite as spooked but did trot on off over the hill. I figured that a bigger herd must be down the other side since he appeared to be alone.

Cresting the ridge top I stopped to listen and immediately heard mewing and brush breaking. I then heard what sounded like the raking of a tree down and to my left. Wind was blowing from my left to right down the ridge which was parallel to the herd. All was good at this point. As I stood there listening, the tree raking started to sound like antlers clashing. Not in a fighting manner, but in a sparring manner as it wasn't violent sounding. That wasn't good, I thought, there can't be a big bull here if there is a friendly sparring match going on.

Shortly after I made that assessment, sure enough, down below me I see a bull feeding, he's a small 6x6. I'm still hoping its a satellite. Then off to my left I see another elk and it is a 5x5. Then out comes another 5x5 and another 6x6. I've wandered into a good looking bachelor group of bulls. I kneeled down and just watched and listened as they fed and sparred within 60-80 yards. It was pretty cool, but I had to get moving. I still didn't want to just blow them out so I waited until they had all moved past me headed to some thick stuff up the ridge to bed. Once they were out of sight I continued on down the ridge. Below is some footage from that encounter.

Continuing down the draw and back up the other side it was now about 7:40am and I had not heard the first bugle which was not what I had expected at this point given the elk sign so far. Topping the next ridge, I decided to see if I could get a response so I let out a location bugle. Nothing. I walked about 100 yards and stopped to listen again and caught the back end of a bugle up behind me. I quickly turned and took off running in that direction. This bull would have to be on the other side of a draw, two ridges over from where I was at. As I came up to the first ridge I fired off another location bugle. Immediate response! I started down into the draw trying to get below them. It was about 8:30am so the sun was up and I had to go extra slow to avoid being seen.

As I crept down the hill towards a creek I caught movement a couple hundred yards away and up the other side. Cows were feeding through the trees heading to my right. Thermals were still coming down so I was in what I thought was a good position to get eyes on this bull. I crossed the creek but got pinned down by a wary cow. After standoff that lasted a few minutes she finally calmed down and fed off and out of sight. A calf bedded down right in my way and I realized my approach wasn't going to work after the bull bugled up behind all these cows and bedded calf. He was in the thicker stuff. So I decided to crawl out of there and do a wide half circle and come in on them from the top. The thermals were about to change anyway and I was in a bad spot when that happened.

I worked my way out very slowly as to not get busted in the sunlight. I finally made to some thicker stuff and was able to hoof on up to the ridge top and back around. Hiking up I could fell the wind at my neck so I felt good about my new angle of attack. I came over the hill and spotted the cows down below and so I moved on up the ridge to set in some thicker brush and timber to keep an eye on them. I figured they would be moving up the ridge soon and I could see that bull. After about 10-15 minutes of glassing and watching the cows through the thick stuff they were in I saw them suddenly turn and trot off back down the hill, single file. They were getting out of there for some reason. I wasn't sure what happened, maybe the wind swirled. I was a couple hundred yards above them so that seemed unlikely. As I sat there watching for any other sign that they wouldn't go far I heard the bull scream out a bugle. That was it, they had to be on the move and he was sending out the call to keep his herd together.

It was about 9:30am and my hopes of seeing this bull began to plummet pretty quickly. I had to be out by noon in order to make it to a family event. Time was running out and this was a big setback. So, I decided to parallel the ridge top and head in the direction the herd had ran below me. I figured that they had to come up eventually. I went about 1/2 mile and decided I'd try to relocate and let out a location bugle. The bull answered waaaay down below me. I immediately took off running down hill in that direction trying to make up some ground. I ran about 100 yards and into some thicker timber. As I ran up I noticed a few rubs and some beds and thought that this looked like some good bedding area. As I ran through this stuff making a lot of racket I scanned out in front looking for the best route through the brush and fallen logs. Scanning to my left, while still running I see the broadside outline of an elk at about 50 yards! I put the brakes on and came to a stop behind a 4' sapling. The elk just stood there and now I could see another up behind her. I quickly crouched down and sneaked back up behind a large tree with more cover.

I figured at this point that I was either busted or had just stumbled into a completely different herd. I knew a bull had to be nearby and that I must be right on top of him. I quickly grabbed my bugle before those cows had too much time to think and through out a lip bawl bugle in hopes to set the bull off trying to round up his cows. About 100 yards into the thick stuff I got an immediate response from the bull. Then I got a response from the bull down below that I was chasing and then another bull up the ridge and behind me fire off too. I hit the closest bull back with a challenge and began raking the dead limbs and stomping around me. The nearby herd bull bugled back and I challenged him again, cutting him off as quickly as I could. After about 5-10 minutes he didn't seem to be storming in. I looked around and didn't see the cows so I jumped on the trail they were on and cautiously, but hastily made my way towards the bull. I had to keep an eye out for those cows in order to keep from being busted. I hugged the thicker timber to avoid giving them a good visual but I still had to cross some open areas. I came to the next spot of green timber and good looking bedding and I kneeled down to look and listen.

I caught movement out in front at about 40 yards. A cow just stood there looking for me. I could here chirping and brush breaking off to my right. I had ran right up on them again. The cow just moseyed around and then started heading straight to me. The bull bugled up behind her and the the right. He sounded CLOSE! I thought, Oh No! this cow is going to walk straight to me and bust me, when suddenly to my right an elk took off and the cow in front of me swirled and headed back the other direction. They all congregated around where the bull had bugled and after about a minute they all started trotting away. Then the bull bugled again. This time farther away. He had rounded up his cows and took off!

I trotted through some thicker timber trying to stay out of sight as I tried to catch up again to the herd. The bull was heading away and once again I found myself hastily moving through some open country with little cover, wondering where this herd had gone. Then out front I saw an elk. I ducked down and found cover behind a larger tree. There they were again at about 80 yards just feeding and milling around. I had just bugled about 50 yards back but they weren't paying me much attention. They had already written me off as an invading bull. They didn't seem to be on alert at all. 

So after finding some cover I rip off another insulting challenge bugle. I tried my best to call him a big fat sissy for taking his cows and running like a school girl. I still hadn't seen him at this point. It didn't take 15 seconds after my challenge bugle and the cows all began running. They all took off to my left and headed into a clearing. Seconds later I say why they were running. The bull was pushing them again and he soon came into the clearing as well bugling. There was another bull coming in/bugling off the the left of this herd so he was being hit from 2 sides. I quickly grabbed the camera and hit record. When he stepped out my initial thought was WHOA! SHOOTER!  :yike:

Buuuuuuut! The more I think about it, I'm thinking the bull I want to shoot is the bull that he apparently has seen (that he thought I was) and that would cause him to run away like a raghorn 5x! :chuckle:  :chuckle:

Below is what I caught on video.

After dogging the herd like I did, seeing this bull and not getting busted I was pretty happy to back on out after this and head back down over the ridge to try and locate the original herd bull I had located earlier that morning. I hiked a 100 yards or so back over the hill from the above bull and let out a location bugle. I got an immediate response from that original bull and he was only a couple hundred yards away. I quickly ran back the way I had originally came, paralleling the ridge to to keep the thermals in my favor as the bull was at about my elevation if not slightly below. After about 150 yards I got to and area with decent visibility and found some cover. I fired off a challenge bugle and he responded. He was CLOSE! I saw a true spike down over the hill at about 100 yards and so I sneaked about 15 yards further, sat down on a log with some cover, fired one last challenge bugle back up behind me to cast it as far away as possible, and sat down with my camera and waited. About 30 seconds later I hear a twig pop and catch antlers coming up out of the timber in front of me. He came in to about 40 yards. Didn't see what he wanted to see, in terms of the annoying intruder, and turned broadside and walked back down to his herd. Once he was out of sight, I quickly moved on and back towards the truck. I had accomplished what I had started out to do and was happy once again to have not disturbed them at all. This bull is probably around the 350" mark. His G5 has a few inches broke off on his right side. Awesome bull! Below is the footage.

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »
No videos on my end
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »
Thanks for the great writeups and videos!  I'm stoked for the elk woods!  :IBCOOL:

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Hunter
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »
Great footage! Cant fuggin wait to get up there for rifle season and hunt true spikes!  :IBCOOL:

At this point in all the years spent up there chasing my dreams a true spike would be most satisfying for me personally  :chuckle:

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
Great videos
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2017, 06:55:23 PM »
You are certainly putting your time in, love it!  Thanks for sharing!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
Holy crap that 6x6 is a monster. Sweet videos!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]