collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Glock 20 Thoughts?  (Read 12582 times)

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Glock 20 Thoughts?
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
Always been a bow guy and I'm starting to look at sidearm to carry/ my first pistol. The Glock 20 looks to fit the bill really nicely, light, good power, durable, reliable but the big downside is being that 10mm bullets are expensive. I was thinking of getting a conversion 40 S&W barrel so that I can shoot it more often and cheaper to practice. Has anyone shot/owned this and what are your thoughts? I also was planning on renting one at a range near by and testing it before purchasing it.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Glock 20 Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
I own one. 
It's my favorite pistol......   but I'm no expert. 

I just know that I love mine.   

I think it's a Ford-Chevy-Dodge thing.   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
Always been a bow guy and I'm starting to look at sidearm to carry/ my first pistol. The Glock 20 looks to fit the bill really nicely, light, good power, durable, reliable but the big downside is being that 10mm bullets are expensive. I was thinking of getting a conversion 40 S&W barrel so that I can shoot it more often and cheaper to practice. Has anyone shot/owned this and what are your thoughts? I also was planning on renting one at a range near by and testing it before purchasing it.

You're on the right track by renting one, if you have less than XL hands then you might want to try slimmer version  Glock 20 SF  The grip is shaved down to fit a smaller hand. 

I also shoot .40S&W conversion and with the bigger slide it's a dream to shoot. 

For ammo I use underwood and wait for a free shipping or deal to show up in my Email then I'll order.  helps some.   I'd like to reload it though but I currently don't reload ammo. 

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
If you are looking for a 10mm, I am fond of my Colt Delta Elite and I have relatively small hands. It's a 1911 style pistol, and though I have heard people say that 10mm has "snappier" recoil than a .45 caliber, I find it far preferable to the .45 caliber 1911s that I have fired. I can put two+ boxes of ammo through my Delta Elite at the range with little or no discomfort, where .45 caliber 1911s that I have fired leave my hand sore after a single box.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »
Awesome feedback guys! Atroxus- you brought up my first major concern was how much fun would it be to shoot and I'm glad to hear your feedback. Good tips from KFhunter on the ammo and the 40 S&W conversion. Nothing worse then owning a pistol you can't afford to shoot!

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
 :) Glocks are good guns, I think the Gen 4 frame is the same size as the 20 SF, with the option to make it larger with grip inserts. I have never fired a 10mm but putting 500-1000 rounds thru any of my 45's is a normal range day, no bother at all. Its different for different folks.
Go shoot all the models you can, Sig makes a fine 10mm, and there are some fine revolvers in great cartridges.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Online HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »
If you were closer you could shoot mine, I have a glock 20, 10mm and a glock 41, 45acp.
 I'm 40 miles north of Seattle.

I need to buy a 40 caliber barrel for the 20, I have tons of 40 caliber brass. I do need to get more 10mm brass.

I like to 10mm, it shoots Ok, i bought it for a carry gun when I go up in the mountains for protection if I ever run into a meth operation.
Up in the mountains animals are the furthest thing on my mind, I personally know three people who had trouble in the mountains two out by Darrington and one over by Lyman.

I use to open carry either a 357magnum or a 44magnum revolver until these things took place, now I want more available fire power that will stop any threat that happens to be out there.

I do have a glock 17 - 9mm but it is just a plinking handgun, I would never carry a 9mm as a self defense weapon in the mountains, if by chance you have a problem with a cougar, black or grizzly bear or a pack of wolves I want killing power and enough ammo to finish the job.

If you get up this way PM me and I'll take you out shooting, I have the ammo.

If you buy one I suggest buying a decent used one, if you don't like it or you get tired of it you can sell it and recoup most of your money.

I'd rather carry the 10mm in the woods instead of the 45 auto.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline porcupine

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »
I would rather shoot my G20 than any other pistol I own as it fits my hand better than others. For ammo look at Washougal River Ammo, they had 50 rounds of 10mm for $20.00 a box at the WAC show last weekend and I believe they're in your neck of the woods.

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:54:34 PM »
I have a Glock 20 that I use as my woods gun. Been taking it up to Alaska for near repellent. I owned a G29 also but prefer the larger frame.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
If you were closer you could shoot mine, I have a glock 20, 10mm and a glock 41, 45acp.
 I'm 40 miles north of Seattle.

I need to buy a 40 caliber barrel for the 20, I have tons of 40 caliber brass. I do need to get more 10mm brass.

I like to 10mm, it shoots Ok, i bought it for a carry gun when I go up in the mountains for protection if I ever run into a meth operation.
Up in the mountains animals are the furthest thing on my mind, I personally know three people who had trouble in the mountains two out by Darrington and one over by Lyman.

I use to open carry either a 357magnum or a 44magnum revolver until these things took place, now I want more available fire power that will stop any threat that happens to be out there.

I do have a glock 17 - 9mm but it is just a plinking handgun, I would never carry a 9mm as a self defense weapon in the mountains, if by chance you have a problem with a cougar, black or grizzly bear or a pack of wolves I want killing power and enough ammo to finish the job.

If you get up this way PM me and I'll take you out shooting, I have the ammo.

If you buy one I suggest buying a decent used one, if you don't like it or you get tired of it you can sell it and recoup most of your money.

I'd rather carry the 10mm in the woods instead of the 45 auto.

Yup i'm in the same boat after stumbling into an old meth lab scouting with Pianoman. If I'm up that way I definitely let you know for sure and thanks for all the info!  :tup:

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:34 AM »
Great feedback guys I really appreciate it!

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
I bought a gen4 G20 this year to carry with me in the woods.  A standard frame g17 fits my hands well, but I prefer the short frame in g20.  As a gen4, this means I do not use any grip inserts.

10mm ammo is more expensive if bought locally but you can find it cheaper online.

I load the buffalo bore outdoorsman ammo in the woods.  It goes boom big time.

At 15 rounds fully loaded, the G20 weighs less than my 4.25" colt .45 loaded w/7 rounds.

But I love glocks so I'm biased.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
I bought a gen4 G20 this year to carry with me in the woods.  A standard frame g17 fits my hands well, but I prefer the short frame in g20.  As a gen4, this means I do not use any grip inserts.

10mm ammo is more expensive if bought locally but you can find it cheaper online.

I load the buffalo bore outdoorsman ammo in the woods.  It goes boom big time.

At 15 rounds fully loaded, the G20 weighs less than my 4.25" colt .45 loaded w/7 rounds.

But I love glocks so I'm biased.

If you're going into the woods and don't want to take your sidearm because of the weight it defeats the purpose to me and I think thats why glock is appealing to me. Plenty of power, plenty of rounds, not a lot of weight. I was looking at the buffalo bore ammo....220gr hard cast would sure make me feel secure in the woods

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »
Doubletap makes some great hardcast loads too. But if you're using a glock 20 make sure not to get the 230gr hard cast from them as it tumbles out of the "short" barrell(performs very well from aftermarket lone wolf barell). But the 200gr performs well out of the stock barell. Hickok45 has a few videos on hardcast bullets out of the glock20
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
Doubletap makes some great hardcast loads too. But if you're using a glock 20 make sure not to get the 230gr hard cast from them as it tumbles out of the "short" barrell(performs very well from aftermarket lone wolf barell). But the 200gr performs well out of the stock barell. Hickok45 has a few videos on hardcast bullets out of the glock20

awesome info thanks for the tips I appreciate it! :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by FWilliams
[Today at 06:54:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter