collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My quality hunt is fast approaching  (Read 22960 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
My quality hunt is fast approaching
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »
With all the recent changes and push to bring this site back close to what it was when I joined 9 years ago, I decided to start a thread that I was reluctant to at first. It's no secret that the last couple years, often guys that draw quality tags get drug into a bunch of unwanted drama regarding possible trespassing, poaching, killing to small of a bull/buck, etc, etc, etc... So when I saw selected this year for the Cowiche Quality modern tag, I decided to not post anything. I have probed a little trying to get in contact with past tag holders, and made a couple good connections, but I didn't want to publicize anything.

That being said, I'm encouraged by what I've seen recently, and I know that what drew me here in the first place was reading peoples amazing hunting stories, and seeing pictures of animals. So, if we're heading back that direction now, I'd like to contribute what I hope to be an amazing, and hopefully NOT a once in a lifetime hunt. So here goes.

The Facts

- This is the 2nd time I've applied for a quality tag. Last year was the first.
- I drew with 5 points (leftovers from the category change a few years back). A friend of mine didn't draw with 25. I feel bad for him, but only kind of.
- I have hunted the unit a fair amount, but most of it has been spent in just a few spots.
- I've never killed a branch antlered bull, despite 2 bull tags drawn in the last 10 years. I prefer meat to horns and killed spikes both times.

The Situation

I applied for this tag, like most of us, with zero expectation of drawing it. My wife and I just welcomed our first child 2.5 weeks ago, a boy we named Grayson.

When I saw selected back in June, I knew my scouting time would be extremely limited. It has become even more limited as my wife had to have an emergency C-section, and I've had to stay close to home to make sure I'm there to help out as needed. Nothing like going through 28 hours of labor followed by major abdominal surgery, only to be sent home with a tiny human that's totally dependent on you!

I expect that now as we find our new normal, I'll be able to get a couple weekends in over there before my hunt comes on September 25. I have areas I've marked on my maps to check, areas I have found good rut sign in the past, and areas that members and friends have shared with me as legit locals for bulls in September. I feel good about this.

I have no experience with calling elk, short of tooting on my cow call here and there. I've never hunted elk in the rut. I'm trying to brush up on my bugling, but mom won't allow it at home with the baby, God forbid I wake him up. My commute to work is only 5 minutes, so there's minimal time available there to practice. Besides, I'm sure that somehow applies to the new distracted driving laws. I wonder what they'd write on that ticket?

My fitness level is average right now, which is tough for a guy that prides himself on being above average in that department. I went bear hunting with a buddy last night and we rode our bikes up some pretty moderate slopes a couple miles. I don't recall ever sweating that much. I feel good today though, so that's encouraging. Hoping to double down on this in the coming days and get some of my endurance back.

The Goal

Being as I've never killed a branch bull, my expectations aren't huge. That being said, I know the potential in the area, and the damage I could do with a rifle. My friend and I were talking about what's a shooter and what isn't. He wants main beam and tine length. I like mass and junk. Big eye guards and 4ths are also appealing to me. That being said, I will probably shoot the first nice 6 point or big 5 point (also weirdly appealing to me  :dunno: ) that I see. Score means absolutely nothing to me, I couldn't even tell you what a 300" bull looks like. I doubt I'll score him unless he's potential record book, which I don't expect. I will shoot any bull I get a clean shot at the last day, and maybe the last 2 days depending on how things are going. It all boils down to that meat in the freezer for me. I haven't bought beef in 5 years, I want to keep it that way.

Most importantly, I want to soak it all in. The idea of being in the woods with a couple good friends hunting elk in the rut when virtually no one else is in the woods hunting, is a dream come true. I can't wait to blow on that bugle and get the first response, and make my move. I'm really excited to get in close to a herd with an active bull, wait for him to bugle and cut him off with a bugle of my own and throw the challenge at him. While I'm prepared to shoot out to 500 yards, I'd prefer to kill him like the last few I've killed, staring at the whites of his blood shot, pissed off eyes.

I'll update this is I go along, and if anyone has anything to add or suggest, I welcome all input. More info is better than less, and these quality tags are so few and far between that I don't think anyone should worry about sharing info. PM's are suggested though, you know, for modesty.

Thanks for following along guys.   :tup:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:54:04 AM by 7mmfan »
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: My quality hunt is fast approaching
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
Good luck to you! Look forward to reading of your journey and success.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
Most importantly, I want to soak it all in

:tup:

You got it really figured out!  Enjoy every min!!!
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
Looking forward to it, 7mmfan.  Best of luck on this hunt. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline SkookumHntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 11:29:06 AM »
Good luck man!! Nice Draw!! :tup:
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »
Thanks for posting, looking forward to hearing how things go.

Congrats on the baby, hopefully momma recovers quickly.

Offline Southpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »
Congrats on the draw! Just being able to hunt, when there is only 2 other guys in the unit, is pretty darn cool to me 8)
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
As a responsible parent I can assure you that your life will only get busier as the child ages.
Make to most of your hunt.
No regrets.
Feed that family. :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:33:47 PM by 2MANY »

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
Well sir, congrats on the tag but more importantly.... congrats on the new addition to your family!  Sounds like Mrs. 7MM had a rough go bringing the young Grayson into the world; glad she made it through and now safe and home with you and your son.  I know nothing about the unit you drew but know a bit about calling and hunting the elk rut.  I'd be more than glad to help you along with your calling and even discuss some various tactics to employ during that most special time of September.  RJ   
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
Congratulations on both fronts, but most importantly the birth of your son. With most of my four kiddos out of the house, I sometimes forget what an amazing, overwhelming and a little scary it is to bring that first little one home....

Look for a pm from me when I have more time. I might be able to provide some "up to date info as your hunt approaches.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »
Stoked for you! Love hearing guys getting into this for the experience and not necessarily the "score".

Good luck to you!
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
Man...you guys got it all wrong. I've been out with this joker to plink. Sure he talks a big talk. Fitness. C'mon! You only had like 30 pounds of water weight plus gear, gun, ammo, and optics. Sheesh. Probably taking along that lil 7mm of yours. Underpowered. I saw you shoot up my steel plate at 175 yards tearing up my beautiful pvc target stand. Those piddly rounds only knocked the plate what....3 or 4 times what my 308 did. Lame. You are probsbly going to share this experience with that guy you claimed was your dad. Don't get me going on him. Acting all nice, being polite....then...then shooting the heck outta my steel also!

:chuckle:

Dyn O Mite!

Looking foward to following along. Make sure I'm on the text list of bull down!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:34:28 PM by h20hunter »

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »
Congratulations to you on the birth of your child!
Good luck this season and fill that freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »
Man...you guys got it all wrong. I've been out with this joker to plink. Sure he talks a big talk. Fitness. C'mon! You only had like 30 pounds of water weight plus gear, gun, ammo, and optics. Sheesh. Probably taking along that lil 7mm of yours. Underpowered. I saw you shoot up my steel plate at 175 yards tearing up my beautiful pvc target stand. Those piddly rounds only knocked the plate what....3 or 4 times what my 308 did. Lame. You are probsbly going to share this experience with that guy you claimed was your dad. Don't get me going on him. Acting all nice, being polite....then...then shooting the heck outta my steel also!

:chuckle:

Dyn O Mite!

Looking foward to following along. Make sure I'm on the text list of bull down!

It was actually 5 gallons, so closer to 40# but whose counting??? At least it started that way.

Thanks for the support, it's nice to read positive comments! I'm just grateful to have a wife that understands that my hunting isn't just a for kicks deal, and knows that I'm not leaving for a week long bender. She appreciates that its a passion and that it provides us with some of the best meat on earth, year after year! We'll see how she feels after a week solo with the kiddo though  :yike:  Now I just need to convince her that the huge vaulted entryway of our home is the perfect place for a European mount.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 03:01:57 PM »
Forgiveness,  not permission. Just saying.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by BigVinn
[Today at 10:21:19 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]