collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Lite gear recommendations  (Read 3962 times)

Offline PNW4Life

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
First Lite gear recommendations
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:36:39 PM »
I'm picking up new gear for this season and am curious what y'all would recommend for a system. I'll be using it this fall for archery season. So anyone who runs FL stuff, feel free to advise...
Here's what I've currently ordered:
- Obsidian Merino Pant (Cipher)
- Brambler Gaiter (Cipher)
- Aerowool Liner Glove (Dry Earth)

I'm unsure on what combo for on top though:
- Sawtooth Hybrid Jacket (Cipher)
- Minaret Aerowool Crew Top (Cipher)
OR
- Chama 230g Merino Hoody (Cipher)
- Uncompahgre Insulated Vest (Dry Earth/Cipher)

I also know this doesn't cover extreme cold, but plan to pick up a heavier jacket, if needed, down the road. This FL is pretty spendy!

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Re: First Lite gear recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
My only feedback is on the Chama hoodie.  If you will use the hood then go for it.  If you don't use hoods regularly, I would just get the 1/4 zip Chama without the hood.  I bought hooded thinking it would be a good option to have just in case.  I have yet to use the hood, and it just bunches up behind my pack and gets in the way, and the neck doesn't wrap around your neck well with it fully zipped up and the hood down.  I have since then purchased a couple of 1/4 zip without the hood and use those more than the hooded.  All depends on where you are using it and if you normally use a hood.  My hunting is primarily west side elk and deer, and elk in MT.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:23:36 PM by Bronson »

Online elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »
They chama hoodie is my favorite piece of gear ever!  It is a must have in my opinion.  It really does keep you warm when wet and dries extremely fast, even while wearing it.  I use it from October to November generally with just a vest unless it's really raining. I have been looking at the aerowool and been close to pulling the trigger as a September shirt. 

Offline PNW4Life

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
My only feedback is on the Chama hoodie.  If you will use the hood then go for it.  If you don't use hoods regularly, I would just get the 1/4 zip Chama without the hood.  I bought hooded thinking it would be a good option to have just in case.  I have yet to use the hood, and it just bunches up behind my pack and gets in the way, and the neck doesn't wrap around your neck well with it fully zipped up and the hood down.  I have since then purchased a couple of 1/4 zip without the hood and use those more than the hooded.  All depends on where you are using it and if you normally use a hood.  My hunting is primarily west side elk and deer, and elk in MT.
That is very good information to consider. I'm not sure if I'd e using the hood very much. The 1/4 zip and vest is sounding like it may be the better option for my needs.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:14:55 PM »
Good looking setup so far. I used first gen kanabs and while I really liked the merino, the fit wasn't ideal for me. It sounds like they have come a long way and if I wasn't already invested in another camo, I would be trying them for sure.  I have no firsthand experience with the brambler, but they certainly appear well constructed and of good design. Gloves are sweet.

I have the chama 230 hoody and love it. I wear it alot, but not much in warm weather. I wore it a bunch with a vest during rifle, and late archery last year and it was perfect.

I like hoodies personally, but if it is an item you may not use much and prefer the quarter zip, I would add the aerowool neck gaiter to the arsenal. Gives extra coverage to neck and back of head, plus face for concealment or warmth.

Offline PNW4Life

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »
Good looking setup so far. I used first gen kanabs and while I really liked the merino, the fit wasn't ideal for me. It sounds like they have come a long way and if I wasn't already invested in another camo, I would be trying them for sure.  I have no firsthand experience with the brambler, but they certainly appear well constructed and of good design. Gloves are sweet.

I have the chama 230 hoody and love it. I wear it alot, but not much in warm weather. I wore it a bunch with a vest during rifle, and late archery last year and it was perfect.

I like hoodies personally, but if it is an item you may not use much and prefer the quarter zip, I would add the aerowool neck gaiter to the arsenal. Gives extra coverage to neck and back of head, plus face for concealment or warmth.
So maybe the Chama isn't a good option for September hunts (Deer/Elk Archery) and the Llano LS Crew with Sawtooth Hybrid would cover more bases for me...?

Online elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »
I will if it gets cold enough.  If the high for the day is in the 60s, Ill definitely be wearing it in the morning or evening when it gets chilly.  Not all day though.

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »
The Llano is a great option for Sept hunts in my opinion.  I wore a couple of them on MT hunts where we had some really warm days and a couple of cooler ones.  Wasnt too hot during the warm days but also decent under layer for the cool mornings before you shed layers.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
what is the appeal of the merino midlayer vs fleece?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 02:16:36 PM »
I personally think the wool breathes better, dries quicker and keeps the stink away very well.  I used to be a huge fleece guy, but just find layering with merlino much better.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
I personally think the wool breathes better, dries quicker and keeps the stink away very well.  I used to be a huge fleece guy, but just find layering with merlino much better.
id say my experience is completely the opposite. a good tech fleece should be lighter for the warmth, dry faster, and while i still use merino against my skin for its resistance to odor, is that really a big deal as an insulating/midlayer?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 02:23:55 PM »
id say my experience is completely the opposite. a good tech fleece should be lighter for the warmth, dry faster, and while i still use merino against my skin for its resistance to odor, is that really a big deal as an insulating/midlayer?
Probably not as a midlayer, I guess I've just focused more on firstlite and kuiu brands.  Oh crap, I'm just realized I'm a hunting clothing snob!!!     :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline PNW4Life

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 06:06:13 PM »
I called FL today and spoke at length with, Cole. He advised me to pick up the Llano and pair it with the Sawtooth. I placed my order everything in Cipher but the Sawtooth and gloves, which will be Dry Earth. I'm also planning to pick up the Vaper Stormlight jacket in the next month or so too in case it decides to rain.
I'm pretty excited to have some high tech gear, I've worn Kuiu tops in the past but with a rifle it doesn't really matter. I never got close enough to be seen.

Offline hunting4sanity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 07:36:34 PM »
I love all things merino wool. If you have to wear it multiple times without being able to do laundry it won't get funky smelling as fast as synthetics, the merino wool is great. I love my Chama hoodie, I don't wear hoods or stocking caps very often and yet have used the hood on my Chama many times. You didn't mention the Uncompaghre jacket, but that is my favorite piece of First Lite clothing, if anything happens to my current jacket there will be a replacement coming ASAP.
Disappointments are inevitable, misery is optional.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »

I agree FTF. I should have clarified, that I typically run the chama as base layer. Even though its the heavier weight.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]