collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inexpensive camo gear  (Read 7206 times)

Offline 3dsheetmetal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Inexpensive camo gear
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 08:05:41 PM »
As a father of 5, I'm on a budget for gear and I've slain animals wearing walmart camo and will again this year. Mossy oak or real tree are both good and walmart.

All the other stuff is awesome and great if you have the funds to get it.

Cover and wind is what's really important.
Love Wal-mart gear
It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it.                                                                             Local 66 sheetmetal workers

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 08:57:47 PM »
From a shear numbers standpoint, I've had more elk closer to me w/ a blaze orange vest than I have w full camo....a big part of the reason is that the herd of 90 + (can't remember if it was 96, 98), tilted those stats. But that time and several others, I've had elk feeding and hanging around in the range of 40-7 yards.......not a single time was I detected.

The reason being that the wind was in my favor, I was motionless, and maybe a little lucky.

The 90+ here walked single file out of a dark timber trail that circled the bottom of a deep basin. I had already dropped to a knee when I heard the telltale sounds of elk walking. I counted every single elk as they moved to within 20 yards of me in a semi circle of about 120-145 degrees around me. With the count going higher, i counted every cow hoping/ expecting the next animal to be that legal spike.......well, you know how that story can end...easily had 5-6 other closer encounters w elk up to seven yards......not one seemed to notice I was wearing blaze orange over my camo hunting clothes..AND I was totally exposed. Nothing near me to break up my kneeling profile.

Now the quality of clothes for hunting is a different matter! Grew up hunting in MI wearing black and red wool. I've bought and used a few pair of army surplus pants that I used for years. Wore out some dress wools that I backpacked, and rode my bike in for a lot of miles 30 years ago. Came across some heavier pairs I used to xcountry ski and camp in. Hunted deer all over Michigan and Wa in them  They have tons of life in and left in them....

But I've used lots of newer synthetics over the past couple of decades, riding 10-14 hours a week year round in the wet side weather back when I raced road bikes we relied on our kits to keeps us warm

Coming back in a seeming full circle, I love merino wool....straight up or mixed with synthetics. Stuff is the best.....not cheap! You can find it on sale if you're patient and persistent.

I'm looking forward to wearing some new base layers under a new "big brand performance hunting jacket" this September for two weeks.

Oh and I'm going to start things off wth my $17.99 Costco technical pants and switch to my recent value village find....virtually new, light wool, military issue, dress  slacks when it gets wetter and cooler. I wonder how many more hunts they might carry me on?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:11:54 PM by bracer40 »
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »
Having camo is not as important as many people let on.  You can do just fine wearing tans, greens, plaid ect.. Wear quiet gear that you are comfortable in.

^ This^

My only camo is stuff I bought on super sale.  I don't feel handicapped at all, and fill quite a few big game tags.  My all time favorite camo fleece jacket is from WalMart and has holes worn in it.  I'm old enough to have shot way more game without camo and without fleece than with either.  Shot more critters while wearing a green and yellowish plaid acrylic outer shirt than anything else though a muted blue and black wool plaid CPO shirt from K-Mart was a close second.  I wore both of those till they were rags.   

On cheap stuff, just check to make sure the zippers work and if they are petite little zippers, pass. 

Wool dress pants from a thrift store and a wool blend or synthetic plaid shirt are superb for most WA deer seasons:  comfortable, quiet, shed light rain and dew. As well as avoiding black, I won't buy tan. If it is really pouring, add rain gear.  I often wear fleece or a soft synthetic layer OUTSIDE/over my rain jacket to stay quiet when brushing against bushes and limbs if I am still hunting.  I keep gaiters INSIDE my wool pants for the same reason:  quiet.  Also, water running down the outside of pants drains and seeps inside the gaiter tops and into boots if the gaiters are outside the pants.  Bet you can't guess how I learned that one...     :)

Edited to add:  Do what you want but I prefer to never wear camo in public.  I usually stop on my way into a hunt and on the way out and change into "civvies".  Jeans and a cotton flannel shirt are more comfortable for the drive home anyway and if I stop at a café or convenience store I don't want the clerk nor other customers nor a cop to know from my clothes that I probably have hunting gear in my vehicle.  Unless the antlers are too big to hide, ditto for letting horns show.

Okanogan,

Great post! Some wisdom here for sure. Definitely agree on avoiding Black and Tan solid colors.

I have to say, I never considered wearing anything over a pair a rain jacket to silence it... good reminder on the gaiters.

Interesting thoughts on camo in public...maybe the same reason I never put decals on my rig letting people know I might have expensive archery, fly fishing, you name it firearms,...?

Thanks for sharing!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 09:33:44 PM »
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 10:18:58 PM »
Let's just say I have seen plenty of success pics of guys in blue jeans.  Camo is over rated.  However if you like camo buy it, it can be a nice addition to the closet.

Camo is not even a tiny bit necessary.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 10:52:12 PM »
Camo IS a necessity, at least if you're going out for a nice dinner in Cowlitz County!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 06:04:05 AM »
FishNFur;
I take offense to that statement!
Being a former Kelso High School Grad, I have found that a hickory shirt and a pair of Lee Loggers were always in style.
Particularly in Cowlitz County!
You sir owe an apology to the entire hard working population of western Washington.
Thank you in advance,
Rob.

As for camo, I've shot truckloads of deer and elk while wearing military surplus wool pants and old woolrich jackets.
Be quiet, move slowly and keep your powder dry.
Also, keep your eyes open, your ears open and your mouth shut (That's from my dad).
Works wonders.

Good luck!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 06:12:16 AM »
 :dunno:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »
Camo IS a necessity, at least if you're going out for a nice dinner in Cowlitz County!
Or if you are taking the entire family and the dogs to Cabela's for the first time.   :chuckle:  I get a kick out of the head to toe camo folks in Bass Pro and Cabela's.

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »
Probably more important for archery than modern or muzzie seasons.  My buddies and I have shot plenty of game wearing jeans.  I stalked and killed my Tom this spring while wearing jeans and romeos!  I've picked up plenty of camo gear at Wal-Mart.  Also the Bargain Cave at Cabelas.  But as I said, it's not really necessary for modern at least.
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 08:50:07 AM »
I like to wear camo when calling critters, especially when calling big cats.  Even then, hands and face are the critical areas.  We've called plenty of critters without camo but IMO camo helps when calling animals more focused on sight than scent.  I haven't hunted ducks since high school and have never hunted turkeys though have called quite a few to see how they respond, none of those while wearing camo.  If the camo is cheap, it sure doesn't hurt anything and each of us will choose to spend on different priorities.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »
For archery season I dress in layers. Shorts and t shirt earth tones.  Fleece sweats and button up shirt usually grey. Then bust out the leafy bug suit that can be had almost anywhere but can be had on Amazon $65 tyd.  Breaks up your outline cheep and keeps skeeters off you pretty good. Down side is it tears easily on brush. Great for tree stands, or still hunting almost like a gilly suit.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Fishoutdoors2016

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »
BAM Outdoors has a wide range of camo to choose from.  Check them out.  http://bit.ly/2vumIs8

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 07:23:16 AM »
Having camo is not as important as many people let on.  You can do just fine wearing tans, greens, plaid ect.. Wear quiet gear that you are comfortable in.

^ This^

My only camo is stuff I bought on super sale.  I don't feel handicapped at all, and fill quite a few big game tags.  My all time favorite camo fleece jacket is from WalMart and has holes worn in it.  I'm old enough to have shot way more game without camo and without fleece than with either.  Shot more critters while wearing a green and yellowish plaid acrylic outer shirt than anything else though a muted blue and black wool plaid CPO shirt from K-Mart was a close second.  I wore both of those till they were rags.   

On cheap stuff, just check to make sure the zippers work and if they are petite little zippers, pass. 

Wool dress pants from a thrift store and a wool blend or synthetic plaid shirt are superb for most WA deer seasons:  comfortable, quiet, shed light rain and dew. As well as avoiding black, I won't buy tan. If it is really pouring, add rain gear.  I often wear fleece or a soft synthetic layer OUTSIDE/over my rain jacket to stay quiet when brushing against bushes and limbs if I am still hunting.  I keep gaiters INSIDE my wool pants for the same reason:  quiet.  Also, water running down the outside of pants drains and seeps inside the gaiter tops and into boots if the gaiters are outside the pants.  Bet you can't guess how I learned that one...     :)

Edited to add:  Do what you want but I prefer to never wear camo in public.  I usually stop on my way into a hunt and on the way out and change into "civvies".  Jeans and a cotton flannel shirt are more comfortable for the drive home anyway and if I stop at a café or convenience store I don't want the clerk nor other customers nor a cop to know from my clothes that I probably have hunting gear in my vehicle.  Unless the antlers are too big to hide, ditto for letting horns show.

Okanogan,

Great post! Some wisdom here for sure. Definitely agree on avoiding Black and Tan solid colors.

I have to say, I never considered wearing anything over a pair a rain jacket to silence it... good reminder on the gaiters.

Interesting thoughts on camo in public...maybe the same reason I never put decals on my rig letting people know I might have expensive archery, fly fishing, you name it firearms,...?

Thanks for sharing!

Bracer40, Thank you for the generous compliment, which carries weight from someone with your experience. 

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:29:59 AM by Okanagan »

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
If you're hunting archery camo is probably more important. Elk hunting the rut is different, because no matter what they aren't expecting a human. You can get away with wearing almost whatever, as long as you don't get winded. THAT is the most important.  They've been called in and are looking for a cow, so just don't wear light tan  8) :o

Archery deer is different. September can be super hot, December can be freezing. As a rule I buy my pants a couple waist sizes too big so oh can throw sweats, long johns, etc under there. There are some REALLY nice hunting clothes that will keep you toasty, but there are far more cost efficient ways of keeping warm. December snowstorms are great times to hunt deer, as are freak rainstorms. You'll need to be prepared for a variety of weather no matter what.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]