collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Blacktail restrictions coming for Minot Peak GMU 660  (Read 13253 times)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: New Blacktail restrictions coming for Minot Peak GMU 660
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
    Why this unit? That would be my question for WDFW. I have a hard time believing there is some sort of excellent 4 point gene that somehow eludes the rest of western washington. And since on topic of 4 point I would assume they are talking about 3 main points with eyegaurds. Since harvest reports include eyegaurds in total points. Anything that holds true for this unit should hold true for many units. Blocks of state land mixed in with private timber. If there is an issue make it an across the westside change.   

As far as spikes go, while I would not oppose the idea I dont think its gonna be some sort of magical cure. Oregon has 2 point min, and having hunted it, the number of "mature" bucks ( I use 4.5 years old for reference, although to be fully mature I think 5.5 is more realistic. However, IMO very few 5.5 or older bucks are killed, and at that point it almost seems moot as that buck has probably already spread his genes,) seems very similar to areas I hunt in Washington. In the NW units of oregon anyway. As you move south of salem I think genetically some things change and I have seen bucks and found sheds of larger framed deer, however I am not convinced they are older deer by any means.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
I argued with the state biologist about this at the hunting expo. I cant see that producing any more trophies than normal in any unit. Limiting access will only help people who dont give a rip about their objectives.  I beleive most areas produce decent bucks if you put some time in.
Precisely, all that new restrictions will do is reduce trophy buck harvest. The last week of october, and extended buck is when the big boys get stupid. Take that away and your chance of harvesting them goes down drastically. Not impossible but greatly reduced. I'd just really like to talk to the biologist who has come up with this and see who is pushing for this??

Haven't you heard?
Less is the new More....
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
    Why this unit? That would be my question for WDFW. I have a hard time believing there is some sort of excellent 4 point gene that somehow eludes the rest of western washington. And since on topic of 4 point I would assume they are talking about 3 main points with eyegaurds. Since harvest reports include eyegaurds in total points. Anything that holds true for this unit should hold true for many units. Blocks of state land mixed in with private timber. If there is an issue make it an across the westside change.   

As far as spikes go, while I would not oppose the idea I dont think its gonna be some sort of magical cure. Oregon has 2 point min, and having hunted it, the number of "mature" bucks ( I use 4.5 years old for reference, although to be fully mature I think 5.5 is more realistic. However, IMO very few 5.5 or older bucks are killed, and at that point it almost seems moot as that buck has probably already spread his genes,) seems very similar to areas I hunt in Washington. In the NW units of oregon anyway. As you move south of salem I think genetically some things change and I have seen bucks and found sheds of larger framed deer, however I am not convinced they are older deer by any means.

It does border Lincoln which is where Les Clark shot the world record. so who knows?
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2017, 09:01:26 AM »
My wife read me the highlights of an online article this AM while I drank my morning coffee....Apparently the Longview newspaper - The Daily News, reported this morning about the upcoming meeting in Elma about making Minot Peak unit a four-point restriction.  The public is invited, but will not be given a chance to comment. 

As I guessed before, they'd already made up their minds before they got around to asking for public comment.  Word leaked out about their meeting, so now they're going to give us the privilege of listening to them approve their great idea.

My coffee didn't taste quite so good today....
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
Anyone make the meeting last night?
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »
Anyone make the meeting last night?
:yeah:
We need info on what went down!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »
1.  Black tail deer escapement for mature bucks is fairly high due to terrain.
2.  2/3 or more of the 660 unit is Weyerhaeuser fee access limited to permits thus limiting the number of hunters and further increasing escapement.
4.  Like others have said, black tailed deer are not all going to be 4 point bucks just because they get a little older.  Yes age has something to do with antler development, but so does genetics.

So,

Why recommend further restrictions on one westside GMU that is primarily restricted access and has higher than average escapement already?

Just seems like a strange recommendation.  Maybe I am missing something though.   :dunno:

Maybe what you are missing is that if this could be advertised as a "Quality BT unit" WEYCO could raise their prices to the moon, freeze most hunters out and still fill their pockets.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
No, we didn't miss that one.  It was more of a general consensus.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline bowbuild

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »
i bet it's an idea floated by timber interests to increase permit sales, if i'm not mistaken that area is almost entirely locked up in the weyco twin harbors south unit?

Bet before long they will give the tags to the landowners, and let the bidding begin!! Thanks guys that support the permit system!! :bash:
It all started with the trespass law, that's what gave timber companies teeth to keep the public out. :bash:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]