collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Entiat Late Deer Tag  (Read 23724 times)

Offline Chaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Entiat Late Deer Tag
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:28 AM »
After 12 years my dad and I drew 2 of the highly coveted late deer tags for Entiat. Can't wait to get out and hopefully find that monster buck. We've hunted Entiat in previous years and have done some scouting. The only hangup on this trip is that I have a new job and only have a few days I can take off. Does anyone have a suggestion on whether or not to focus our time at the beginning of November or towards the last weekend? I know we can't predict Mother Natures weather but is waiting later in the month going to keep us out of the hills due to snow? I read all these stories that you will see shooters all season it's just laying off the trigger for the one you are looking for. My dad isn't able to do much walking so we're looking for an area that he would have some success and be able to drive to. You wait 12 years and want to be prepared.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Entiat Late Deer Tag
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
Im hopeful for you.  As far as I know the Entiat herd is still going strong.  I figure that's where most of the success stories will come from this year for nice bucks.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
Hit all the well known canyons. Roads everywhere where ever you go. Should be able to find a few good bucks. Good luck!!!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
If I were in that situation, I would choose the last days of the season if possible; and if not, after 11/11.  It is highly unlikely you will be snowed out, and if that is the case you will find bucks within a short walk of where you can drive. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Chaser

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 11:17:42 AM »
Teanawayslayer, my son has taken up archery this last year and he wants to go Teanaway next month. We saw a buck after shooting hours during Modern last year and he wants to go back during Archery in Sept. I don't know if archery in Teanaway is any good in Sept or where to even start. We hunted a few days out of 29 Pines CG last year but don't know the area very well.

Offline Chaser

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
Thanks for the responses. We hoping this will be a successful and we both come home with both great stories and great bucks. Not looking for peoples secret spots but any advice or knowledge about this late hunt is appreciated.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Later is better if you have limited time.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
If I were in that situation, I would choose the last days of the season if possible; and if not, after 11/11.  It is highly unlikely you will be snowed out, and if that is the case you will find bucks within a short walk of where you can drive.

:yeah:

I had that tag last year shot a nice 4pt day one that I went out. What I did was take about three days during modern firearm and drove around to get the know the area and look for Does, when I found a canyon with 20 plus Does in it I returned the second week of the late season knowing that there would be bucks there chasing them.  :twocents:
IAFF #3728

Offline muleracks

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 03:19:31 PM »
The Entiat is pretty open with public land access on decent roads so you can probably do well by just road hunting and glassing.  If it is warm with little snow hunt the high elevations on the west end of the unit but there will be good bucks with does every where.  Make this an experience that you and our Dad will remember fondly for ever.

Offline Chaser

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
That was my plan. Use the weekends during modern season to scout and plan. You have a pic of your 4pt? I've seen some pics of some really nice deer come out of Entiat...can't wait.

I also got drawn for any buck permit during the same season. Is this luck or WDFW politics? Any one every experience this or heard of this? When my points split years ago I've been applying every year for both and nada and now I get drawn for both. Just disappointing that I'm back at zero for both tags.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »
I'll be over there lookin for a monster. Good times!  Takin my 51 Willys over there in case snow hits. 

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:11:54 PM »
That was my plan. Use the weekends during modern season to scout and plan. You have a pic of your 4pt? I've seen some pics of some really nice deer come out of Entiat...can't wait.

I also got drawn for any buck permit during the same season. Is this luck or WDFW politics? Any one every experience this or heard of this? When my points split years ago I've been applying every year for both and nada and now I get drawn for both. Just disappointing that I'm back at zero for both tags.

It happens and it has cleaned a few guys out of there points.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »

Here ya go
IAFF #3728

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 07:53:09 AM »
The one on the left is from Entiat opening day of archery season, later in your hunt will be better, this guy was chasing does and could have cared less about me.

The one on the left netted 157" the one on the right went 147". The one on the right is not from Entiat.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Chaser

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »
Amazing bucks! Thanks for sharing. Just picked up some new boots. Can't wait to get them dirty stalking that big Muley. I got a call that my bear skull is ready so going over to Republic Labor Day weekend to get it. My son will take his bow and we'll hit the hills and see if we can find something. Following weekend will spend a few days with my son in Teanaway. Love this time of the year!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]