collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Teanaway cow elk, Where are you?  (Read 7670 times)

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Teanaway cow elk, Where are you?
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:23:38 PM »
Was drawn for an august cow tag in this unit, I have hunted 5 days now and not seen an elk, any tips on where they may be hiding in this heat? Thanks Mark

Offline ffbowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Teanaway cow elk, Where are you?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:54:18 PM »
Good luck with my quality bull tag last year I only really saw bulls. Hopefully someone can help you out!

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:01:36 PM »
Daybreak and dusk as long as this weather stays hot.  Hope for a cold streak to roll in and if so hit it hard all day.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 07:21:24 AM »
I have same tag and have experienced same thing. I run around this area a lot and have never had a problem finding elk, until now that I have a cow tag in hand. It's just a matter of time to cross paths. I've gone high and stayed low, going to try a few more areas this weekend. Will let you know if I find anything.

Offline Fireant11

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »
Could the wolves be messing things up?   :dunno:

Offline Mossyoak

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
We had 3 tags last year and only filled one. It was a tough tag, due to the 95 degree weather, and the private ground. We saw a ton of Bulls but hardly any cows.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »
it could be. I got a tc pic of a pretty big dog not too long ago. But the wolves move around a bunch it seems. Not sure if that's the case right now or if it has to do more with the heat. The advice of south slopes at night and/or steep and deep is good advice. Find water and cooler temps and will probably start seeing them. I did miss a bear last week(don't ask) and have seen more bears than elk but I think that will change this weekend. A lot of these elk are also on pub land, the idea they're all on private is far from it. It's just more thickly covered country, a lot of country, and elk numbers are less. They are there, just have to have the stars align and be out there to make t happen.

Offline monster

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »
I have the quality bull tag. Sept 25 to 29
I will probably just see cows.  That's how  these tags work.   Lol.   I have been scouting. And only seen cows so far. 
Try easton area.  Pm me if you have any questions.

Offline Mossyoak

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »
it could be. I got a tc pic of a pretty big dog not too long ago. But the wolves move around a bunch it seems. Not sure if that's the case right now or if it has to do more with the heat. The advice of south slopes at night and/or steep and deep is good advice. Find water and cooler temps and will probably start seeing them. I did miss a bear last week(don't ask) and have seen more bears than elk but I think that will change this weekend. A lot of these elk are also on pub land, the idea they're all on private is far from it. It's just more thickly covered country, a lot of country, and elk numbers are less. They are there, just have to have the stars align and be out there to make t happen.
I was not saying all the elk are on private land. I had some access to private land but all that was there were Bulls. It is thick but you better know the area, in some areas there is private scattered with public. Hope you can track them down. It seemed that we didn't find groups of cows it was either Bulls by themselves or a huge heard of cows.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »
I drew this hunt last year and there is  a pretty detailed thread on it somewhere on this site.  Might be a useful read for you.

Ended up cow-less for what it's worth.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:07:39 PM by CP »

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »
Here it is:

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,199438.0.html

Mossyoak started it last summer.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »
I was not saying all the elk are on private land. I had some access to private land but all that was there were Bulls. It is thick but you better know the area, in some areas there is private scattered with public. Hope you can track them down. It seemed that we didn't find groups of cows it was either Bulls by themselves or a huge heard of cows.
didnt mean to offend if so. Jusy stating a lot of elk on pub. I hear ya on one or the other, either cows or bulls.  Any time I have seen a good mix in there was early to mid oct. Most groups of cows I see are in the 3-6 count. Nothing really more. Not sure why such small groups. Just have to find one. Hopefully we can get it done this weekend. Good
Luck to you other guys

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »
About wolves, last weekend my son and I were walking up an old skid road when we seen movement in the brush 40-50 yards ahead of us and up the hill, we stopped classed it and it was a moo cow. We kept walking and as we got closer, (they were about 30 yards above the trail we were on) one of them seen us walking towards them, as soon as they seen us all 3 pairs took off running away from us running (as fast as they could) more than 100 yards before losing site of them. I have hunted a LOT around ranging cattle in the Winthrop area and I can say I have never had a cow run away from me so quickly especially given the distance we were still away from them. My only conclusion is that they are very scared of ANY movement near them.  :twocents:

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »
I agree. The cattle are really skittish this year. A lot of years you can walk right up on them and nothing. This year, I ran into a small herd on top of a ridge and they honestly didn't stop until they were at the bottom 2 miles away. I cut them again I was leaving and they were moving again. Weird

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:13:36 PM »
I agree. The cattle are really skittish this year. A lot of years you can walk right up on them and nothing. This year, I ran into a small herd on top of a ridge and they honestly didn't stop until they were at the bottom 2 miles away. I cut them again I was leaving and they were moving again. Weird
had the same thing over in rimrock last weekend.
the last few years in the 342 im actually afraid when i come across cattle as they're quite aggressive.
this past weekend we came across some cattle and they high tailed it like ive never seen.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]