collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trouble in Yakima herd????  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Trouble in Yakima herd????
« on: August 24, 2017, 06:21:11 AM »
http://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/outdoors/trouble-in-hunting-paradise-falling-elk-populations-mean-fewer-permits/article_802e2754-887d-11e7-9ecc-d72b6d756808.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Trouble In Hunting Paradise: Falling elk populations mean fewer permits this fall

Read this and see if it makes sense:
"In the report set to be released next week, Bernatowicz said February surveys found “surprisingly low elk numbers” with the lowest numbers of calves ever seen. This could be bad news for general season spike hunters, although he noted mature bulls should remain in good supply.

"After 2015 saw the district’s highest antlerless harvest in recent history — more than 1,100 from the Yakima and Colockum herds — February 2016 surveys still found close to 11,000 elk roaming the Yakima herd’s 900,000 acres. That’s well above the objective of 9,500, and the Colockum Herd looked just as healthy in its March surveys with more than 5,000 elk.

"Last March showed a more modest decline for the Colockum to just under 4,700, within the margin for the objective of 4,500. Wildlife department biologist William Moore said the number of antlerless permits given out in the area shouldn’t change too much and it remains a great place to hunt, especially for hunters looking for a high density of elk.

“We’ve been trying to bring our herds from higher populations back down to our objective and I think we’ve been pretty successful with that,” Moore said."

:dunno:

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Re: Trouble in Yakima herd????
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 06:50:00 AM »
I only watch a small area with cameras, but have seen my normal numbers of cows, more calves, a few less spikes and no bulls this year. I run the cameras from April to November. Never thought upping the cow tags to what they were the last few years was a great idea. My guess though is this is their retribution for not getting the funding they wanted this year, but just my guess.

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:54:33 AM »
I will add, I have found 3 predator killed elk already this year.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 07:01:36 AM »
I'm confused. Is there trouble with the herds or are they within acceptable population numbers?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
I'm confused. Is there trouble with the herds or are they within acceptable population numbers?

Wdfw, both may be true.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:28:51 AM »
That is confusing, maybe the WDFW report "set to be released next week," will make more sense. I wonder if the newspaper edited the article to shorten it up, and in cutting out a paragraph or two, left out some important information.

Our first clue that elk numbers in the Yakima herd were down was a few months ago when special permit numbers for antlerless animals were drastically cut from what it had been the previous year.

Just from that reduction in antlerless permits I would tend to believe that the herd is below objective.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:32:38 AM »
 :yeah: There definitely seems to be missing information. Or, "nothing to see here".  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
I always wonder just how accurate are these game counts???
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 07:57:30 AM »
WDFW will always make things look rosier than they are. It allows them to sell more permits, Lisc,& tags. i.e. Methow herd pop
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
All I know is their were hundreds of damage tags givin last winter
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline NoBark

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
If I remember correctly, back in the 90's and early 2000's, the objective was like 12,000.  Now we are down to 9,500.  Not a good trend.  But, it is Washington.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
I always wonder just how accurate are these game counts???

My guess is as accurate as the fish return forecasts, like this years Lake Washington sockeye forecast of 77k..........which turned out to be 132k+.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline NoBark

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »
The counts are usually done in winter when the herd is on the wintering grounds. However, winters vary and no two are the same.  Like most "educated guesses" there are  statistics involved and so it's best to focus more on the longer term trends and not a one year 'blip'.   At least with elk, they can see at least some of them unlike our fisheries. 

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 02:37:59 PM »
Just from talking to the volunteers at the feeding stations (Oak Creek and Cowiche Mtn), the herd seems healthy. 

Honestly, the article sounds as typically over-dramatic as you can expect from modern news outlets.  I think the case is really that we've been over objective for awhile and the drought/winter reduced it (maybe faster than expected?) back down towards objective. 

But...  ::ahem:: yeah...  probably best that all you people look for other areas to hunt.  I'm sure hunting the Yakima herd isn't worth your time.  :chuckle:

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 06:37:07 PM »
when i visited the feeding station the people there told us the herd was looking better than ever and that they got some dandy pics of some giant bulls,they said the spike count was up more than previous years and that is why myself and a lot of other hunters over here were shocked at the drop in tags this year. ?  :dunno:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal