collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Treestand Theft  (Read 6786 times)

Offline dlabelle0609

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
Treestand Theft
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »
I recently had my treestand and game camera stolen out of the woods. I do hunt public land and leave everything in year round, but have never had an issue before. Very frustrating. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep people from steal your treestand? I had it chained to the tree, but they climbed up and cut the lock. My idea is to build a ladder guard which would prevent them from climbing up, but its not impossible.

Being part of the hunting community, its pretty messed up that a hunter would steal from another hunter. I would never climb into another guys treestand, let alone steal it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:17:03 AM by Woodchuck »

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Treestand Theft
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
Sorry it happened. You've got to figure if there are those out there willing to steal our resources, they'll be willing to steal your stuff, too.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline dlabelle0609

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
Sorry it happened. You've got to figure if there are those out there willing to steal our resources, they'll be willing to steal your stuff, too.

Agree with you on that. I put a lot of time and money into hunting and trying to up my odds to harvest a deer and someone comes along and steals my stuff. Very frustrating!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:22:47 AM »
Definitely go into it with the thinking your stuff might get stolen. With that being said use chains and locks that can't be cut with bolt cutters. Chances are this dip stick has been in that area more than once and went back to steal your stuff. Put personal identification on all your stuff where its not readily noticed then take a picture of it. Chances are this turd is going to be hunting that area where your stuff was stolen. Sorry it happened but people just have no respect for other peoples belongings.  :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline dlabelle0609

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »
Definitely go into it with the thinking your stuff might get stolen. With that being said use chains and locks that can't be cut with bolt cutters. Chances are this dip stick has been in that area more than once and went back to steal your stuff. Put personal identification on all your stuff where its not readily noticed then take a picture of it. Chances are this turd is going to be hunting that area where your stuff was stolen. Sorry it happened but people just have no respect for other peoples belongings.  :twocents:

Yeah, im going to invest in better locks and heavy duty wire cable. Be a lot tougher to get that undone. Unless they just want to chop the whole tree down.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
Sucks to hear, if you had/have a ladder stand, maybe take down the bottom half of the ladder when you leave and hide it or take it home.  If you have screw in steps, take them out with you when you leave. Those piles of crap will usually take it if it's easy.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Stalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »
Never going to condone theft.  However, I thought you had to remove your personal equipment from public lands during the off season.  Have you checked with the local forest service folks? Maybe they removed it.  I've used tree stands for years and never had an issue. I put them in a day or two in advance, take two lengths of my ladder down and lock the remaining portions to the tree. Remove everything on my last hunt day and return it during the late season.   

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »
Never going to condone theft.  However, I thought you had to remove your personal equipment from public lands during the off season.  Have you checked with the local forest service folks? Maybe they removed it.  I've used tree stands for years and never had an issue. I put them in a day or two in advance, take two lengths of my ladder down and lock the remaining portions to the tree. Remove everything on my last hunt day and return it during the late season.

I've been told that if it's left for a certain amount of time, the government will consider it legally abandoned and remove it.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 04:03:21 PM »
Sadly the only way to make sure your stuff isn't stolen is to take it with you when you leave.  Kind of defeats the purpose with trial cams, but that's the world we live in.

I've seen a couple tree stands in high traffic areas that have lasted years in the same spot. See them every year during season, camping and scouting trips, even named them and use them as markers when talking to folks who hunt the area.
I've also set a trail cam only to find it stolen the very next day, on private property no less.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »
I recently had my treestand and game camera stolen out of the woods. I do hunt public land and leave everything in year round, but have never had an issue before. Very frustrating. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep people from steal your treestand? I had it chained to the tree, but they climbed up and cut the lock. My idea is to build a ladder guard which would prevent them from climbing up, but its not impossible.

Being part of the hunting community, its pretty messed up that a hunter would steal from another hunter. I would never climb into another guys treestand, let alone steal it.
What agency (Forest Service, WDFW, etc) is the land manager? Depending on the land management agency you can't leave a stand-up year round.

Offline dlabelle0609

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback. I do believe the law is that if you leave it up on public land, its able to be used by anyone. I dont think Game Wardens or Forest Service would take it down, unless they were going to log it. I would also hope that if a game warden or someone like that took it down, they would maybe leave some sort of notification that they seized it and for me to be able to come get it. I think the wrong person happened to walk by my set up and took my stuff. Including the stand, camera, and camera box, its about $400 worth of stuff stolen.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:18:39 PM by carpsniperg2 »

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »
Yeah that sucks big time  :bash:
I had a blind and a camera stolen last year out of one of my spots. Had them set up all summer and never once got a single person on camera coming through the area and then when we went into the area on the second day of the season the blind and Camera were both gone. We were pissed. But know that it's on public land.

Also talked to you a few other people in the area who have had treestands and cameras stolen also, so there's a thief hanging around the 1205 up at Rimrock   >:(
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback. I do believe the law is that if you leave it up on public land, its able to be used by anyone. I dont think Game Wardens or Forest Service would take it down, unless they were going to log it. I would also hope that if a game warden or someone like that took it down, they would maybe leave some sort of notification that they seized it and for me to be able to come get it. I think the wrong person happened to walk by my set up and took my stuff. Including the stand, camera, and camera box, its about $400 worth of stuff stolen.
There is no statewide law that says if you leave a stand on public land its able to be used by anyone.

Depending on the public land you were on it's illegal to leave stands up year round. As an example, this is the reg for WDFW lands:

WAC 220-500-130
(1)(a) It is unlawful to dig pits for the purpose of hunting waterfowl, or to cut trees or attach artificial fasteners (such as wire, staples or nails) to trees for the construction of camps, blinds and tree stands on department lands.
(b) All nonnatural materials used in the construction of blinds or tree stands must be removed from department lands at the end of the hunting season.

Some federal agencies say you can't leave property unattended for longer than X amount of hours. So if your in an area with a 72 hour unattended reg and last occupied your stand on Sunday, on Wednesday/Thursday an officer could come and scoop up your property.

Offline hal

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
if you have the resources, scribe your metal equipment with name or something you reconize where it is hard to find and set out a spare camera just focusing on the equipment.

Offline sternwarning

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
Hide a game cam in a very tough place to spot...pointed at your gear. So at least you may get an idea of what this DB looks like. I agree with above statement, probably isn't the first time they've been in there...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]