collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to archery  (Read 2985 times)

Offline weaksauce

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to archery
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
Turned 40 this year, fiance was nice enough to buy me a nice bow for the occasion.  Been practicing at my local range, feel comfortable and confident out to 30 yards.  Plan is to head out to 49 degrees and hunt the first week of archery season.  I've been hunting for the last several years, harvested two elk in muzzy in my first few years.  I've hunted out of a tent in the freezing cold with rain for days straight and decided that wasn't for me, so I will be praying I can find a place to drop a 27 foot trailer. Don't think it will rain too much but I want to be comfortable.

I've never harvested a deer - I hunted whitetails in modern hard up in Entiat unsuccessfully a few years ago. Saw a few but was fairly green at the time and couldn't get a shot off.  I am getting the hang of the bow but the way the whitetails are I feel like I am up for a huge challenge being limited to 30 yards.  I plan on dropping a few cams and salt blocks the day I get there spending a few days before the season scouting.  Is face paint ridiculous or should I go all in?  :o   I've put WAY more than my fair share miles on my boots, any pointers logistics wise are GREATLY appreciated.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: New to archery
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
Camo up and use a mask for your face. Sounds like you've been doing your homework. Spend time in the woods, watch the wind, and you'll converge with wildlife sooner or later. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
Face paint is a great idea. Oils in the skin can have a reflective effect and make your face look very bright compared to the surroundings. I know people who do it and those who don't. Don't have to paint the entire face, I usually just apply several strokes across the face to break up the outline. I do it because I know a guy who swore up and down that a shiny face can send an animal running especially if they had contact with humans in the past. When I started doing it I noticed that if you're still, whitetails won't even know what you are. You could have a group of does come right up to you for a look and smell. Now, when you blink at them up close, they get the picture!

Offline weaksauce

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »
I called an Elk in I couldn't shoot in the first 15 minutes of muzzy last year, the thing stood right in front of me 5 feet away and didn't see me. Nothing makes you trust your camo more and make things real to a guy than to have an experience like that.  We were on the side of a large stump where we had setup a 'stick' blind that I wasn't super impressed with but boy did it along with our camo do the job. 

I can say that I haven't done a real good job in paying attention to the wind, that's something I am going to focus on more this year.

Also wondering, is rattling a thing? I've read mixed comments on it with deer.  Proof was in the pudding for me on elk on calling.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:00:52 PM »
Way more important than face concealing and camo is the wind! Especially when bow hunting!

Rattling works during the rut.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Whobuff

• Tracker
  • "Shut the f up Donnie you are out of your element"
  • Groups: RMEF, Military Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
Make sure you set up in front of a full background of trees or shrubs. This will break up your profile and also allow you to have room to come to full draw. Don't look at them in the eye, always from the corners or periphery.

If you go to any Army Surplus store (there is one on Division) they have cheap army camo.
It always gets you pumped up when you put on camo paint. Takes you from civilian to warrior mode!
I am an Army vet and we would always act slightly more wild with a coat of paint.
Good luck man! If you are like me, you are going to love Archery!!! :IBCOOL:

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »
I called an Elk in I couldn't shoot in the first 15 minutes of muzzy last year, the thing stood right in front of me 5 feet away and didn't see me. Nothing makes you trust your camo more and make things real to a guy than to have an experience like that.  We were on the side of a large stump where we had setup a 'stick' blind that I wasn't super impressed with but boy did it along with our camo do the job. 

I can say that I haven't done a real good job in paying attention to the wind, that's something I am going to focus on more this year.

Also wondering, is rattling a thing? I've read mixed comments on it with deer.  Proof was in the pudding for me on elk on calling.

Rattling whitetails is best during the rut but  you will find plenty of youtube/online stuff about how bucks will respond to rattling even in the early season. Use a white tail grunt tube during any season and they will respond to that. The one I have can be set as a doe call all the way up through various growth stages of bucks from yearling to full on mature masher.

Wind matters. Because of that I recommend using Dead Downwind products. Use the whole line of products they sell it in a package usually. Probably 40 dollars and will last all season. If you use it religiously, getting winded will almost be a thing of the past. Got a buck last year from a blind with my scent carrying right toward the buck; did the same thing still hunting in 2014 with a prevailing breeze carrying my scent right toward the buck who was at most 20 yards away. From my experience, de-scent products absolutely give you an advantage in those situations. Good luck!

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »
I personally don't like face paint so I wear a mask. I also don't like breathing into my mask but deer seem to notice me a whole lot less when my face is covered. I had a doe whitetail notice me when I was up in a tree not moving without a mask on.

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
If you don't face paint you can't get into character. Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »
if YOU feel more confident wearing face paint then do it ...i've killed probably 25 or so blacktails with my bow, some with face paint and some without... as said before wind is the biggest factor...closest one i killed was without face paint--was sneaking along a deer trail at the top of a clear cut just after first light..there was a big tree down over the trail and as i stepped up on it a doe stood up just on the back side of the log...i can still remember seeing the drops of dew on her eyelashes and whiskers as i drew my bow and didn't even aim as she was about 5 feet in front of me...she went about 15 yards before piling up...keep the wind right and you will be eating backstraps this fall
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline weaksauce

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
First I wanted to say thank you to everyone for the pointers. 

Thanks Whobluff for the warrior mode comment, I picked up some camo paint.  It's so cheap why not. My thought on it is that some deer are used to humans and some aren't, so for the ones that aren't a little paint won't hurt.  I'm a little worried about using it in the heat, but I am going to give it a shot.

Thanks Outhouse.  I picked up some of that Primos powder to keep in my pocket and check wind.  I have some other products that I can use for scent I will use more diligently.

I had an interesting weekend, my "friend" decided to dry fire my bow.  I took my eye off of him after I handed him the bow because he didn't have my release on, but the next thing I know he is pulling it back with his fingers and releasing!  :bash: :bash: :bash:

Upper cam is now starting to roll over.  7-10 days for the part from bowtech, I can't find it locally.  I went back to the shop that sold me the bow and they sold me a cheap bow at cost just to get me on the road.  Spent the weekend driving around getting the bow looked at, buying a new one, and spent a few hour on the range sighting.  Had to go buy a new sight because the one on the bow was true garbage.  Will be spending the next two days after work sighting and practicing hoping to be ready to leave by Wednesday.  What a weekend.

While I was spending so much time at various stores I was looking at treestands.  I was thinking they would be a good idea for whitetail because they are so skittish - but I'm so used to spot and stalk I'm not sure I should invest the $100 bucks on it.  Thoughts?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 12:23:42 PM »
Thoughts....I'd beat my friend over the head with the broken bow. Lol

Treestands are an effective tool, especially when it is as dry and crunchy as it is.   That being said, I rarely use a stand.   Certainly a tactics that can be used across most species.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 12:25:29 PM »
Treestands for whities are a good idea if you know where they're moving and when. And rattling can work great on them just prior to and during the rut.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Whobuff

• Tracker
  • "Shut the f up Donnie you are out of your element"
  • Groups: RMEF, Military Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 02:13:33 PM »
I had an interesting weekend, my "friend" decided to dry fire my bow.  I took my eye off of him after I handed him the bow because he didn't have my release on, but the next thing I know he is pulling it back with his fingers and releasing!  :bash: :bash: :bash:
That is terrible luck this close to the season!!! Anytime I hand my bow over to someone I suspect has never held one, I tell them, DO NOT pull this back! Trust no one to handle it!

Thanks Whobluff for the warrior mode comment, I picked up some camo paint. My thought on it is that some deer are used to humans and some aren't, so for the ones that aren't a little paint won't hurt.  I'm a little worried about using it in the heat, but I am going to give it a shot.
Your welcome, the heat will definitely make you sweat and you will wipe it off or smear it, so you might have to re-coat after a few hours. Your gloves & fingers will smell like camo. But no biggie.

As far as a tree stand goes, I have never used one, but I do use a ground blind for deer and turkey. Deer don't mind them as long as you have them in place and blended in well before you go to hunt in them.

Good luck man

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
I hope your friend offered up some cash.
I bought a tree stand this year. I don't know if it will get used yet. It's something i bought "used" as another tool in the arsenal that i will bring to camp. If the right situation seems to be presenting itself then i will use it.
I suppose i have two quick pieces of advice for you.
If you decide to buy a tree stand for use this hunt then get it now, get it set up and take some shots. Watching other people use them on tv is way different than trying it yourself. At least, that was my experience.
Second, don't go back to camp for lunch. Use the midday to work on still hunting.  The better you can get at this skill the better you will become as a bow hunter. It trains you to move silently, to spot small parts of deer, to plan your route through the brush, to tune in to your environment, etc.

Best of luck on your season.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:07:42 PM by Seahawk12 »
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal