collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WA Elk Populations and Premier Hunt units  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Sessler13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
WA Elk Populations and Premier Hunt units
« on: August 26, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »
Hello, I am new to the forum, but read posts often. I have been a hunter all my life but have never tapped into the world of Elk Hunting. Over the past year my elk hunting interest has really taken off. One of my favorite aspects of hunting is calling: coyotes, ducks, turkeys hence the reason archery elk hunting during the rut is my focus for 2018! The rest of my hunting buddies are not into the early archery elk seasons, but I am. I didn't put in for any tags this year, but I want to experience the elk bugling and try my hand at calling. Call me crazy, but I really want to go get myself in with some bugling bulls and just listen and watch. No plan on killing one this year.

Where would you recommend me trying my hand at calling during the rut, even if it was closed to hunting or requires tags, as I wouldn't even be planning on shooting anything. I'd like to see and hear as many elk as possible, Just for the experience. Was thinking somewhere on the east side running along the east cascades. Have heard the peaches ridge, teanaway, areas etc.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Next year I'll be putting in for all the best tags!

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: WA Elk Populations and Premier Hunt units
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »
PM sent.

Good luck.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
If you're just looking for the experience, got the last week of sept first week oct in muzzy season. They will be most vocal at that time. Drive around before light and after dark to locate areas where they are staged up. Then go in and try your hand at the whole thing. It's quite a bit of fun

Offline Sessler13

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 11:34:49 AM »
If you're just looking for the experience, got the last week of sept first week oct in muzzy season. They will be most vocal at that time. Drive around before light and after dark to locate areas where they are staged up. Then go in and try your hand at the whole thing. It's quite a bit of fun

Thanks! I will probably be going the last two weekends in september for sure. I expect it to be fun, so long as i can find some bulls that will play.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »
if u r just into calling in Bulls go to gmu 346 u will feel like a pro.  get there about September 25th to Oct 8th and u will be able to call in some bulls. start at night time-consuming to locate them.

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
You can go to the harvest reports. That will give you a good idea of premium areas.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »
If you are not calling in season, some WDFW officers could cite you for harassing the elk.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »
If you are not calling in season, some WDFW officers could cite you for harassing the elk.

You are joking right? 

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
Though nothing illegal about it, I personally would not go into a unit open to hunting and try to call elk. Elk can become educated and call wary to human calls. Guys wait years for the CHANCE to draw some of these tags so last thing I would want to do is to be in there possibly negatively effecting their chances. Not saying you can't go in and just listen/enjoy the sounds of fall but I would shy away from calling myself. Again, this is just my own personal opinion and to each their own.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »
I'm with Vandeman. I'd be too concerned about screwing something up for a hunter who is actually hunting. Especially in a premier unit that a guy has waited 10-15-20 years to draw a tag for. The last thing that guy needs is a non-hunter in there blasting away on a bugle tube teaching the elk what a person sounds like.
 :twocents:

Go and sit and listen and enjoy the sounds, but leave the calls at home.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
I'm with Vandeman. I'd be too concerned about screwing something up for a hunter who is actually hunting. Especially in a premier unit that a guy has waited 10-15-20 years to draw a tag for. The last thing that guy needs is a non-hunter in there blasting away on a bugle tube teaching the elk what a person sounds like.
 :twocents:

Go and sit and listen and enjoy the sounds, but leave the calls at home.

I share this opinion as well.

When I first saw this post, I wondered about the chances one might have by heading up to Mt.Rainier NP Sunrise. I recall reading about bulls bugling up there. I've seen them earlier in the summer. Never experienced the rut there myself because I've been busy hunting my own elk.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »
Though nothing illegal about it, I personally would not go into a unit open to hunting and try to call elk. Elk can become educated and call wary to human calls. Guys wait years for the CHANCE to draw some of these tags so last thing I would want to do is to be in there possibly negatively effecting their chances. Not saying you can't go in and just listen/enjoy the sounds of fall but I would shy away from calling myself. Again, this is just my own personal opinion and to each their own.
:yeah:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »
Yeah probably should just ask everyone to stay home if there is a special permit hunt going on. :chuckle:

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
Yeah probably should just ask everyone to stay home if there is a special permit hunt going on. :chuckle:

Never said stay home. Just said to be courteous but it's not required. To each their own.  :tup:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »
There is nothing wrong with calling for elk in September,  its how I learned as a kid with my dad and granddad, and I am sure many others as well.  Don't intentionally mess with someones hunt, that's a given.  There are lots of other hunts going on, people camping, riding bikes and ATV's, etc that can affect the permit holders hunt worse than a few bugles or cow calls.  I mean, are you going to pass on a bear because there could be a elk hunter around and you don't wanna potentially mess with his hunt? 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]