collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Favorite Elk Calls  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Sessler13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Favorite Elk Calls
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
What are your favorite styles of elk calls? Are diaphragms the best?
I am giving my first go at calling elk this year, just wondering what you experts would recommend? :dunno:

I am proficient with a reed/diaphragm call, just haven't ever used diaphragms/reeds while hunting for elk. At the very least I think i could pick up the basics during my 1+ hour commute.

Any information on beginner calling/practicing/methods is welcome! Thanks

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Favorite Elk Calls
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:42:56 PM »
 YouTube Jason Phelps and Corey Jacobson. Lots of good info from those two guys.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
Diaphragms and a grunt tube are by far the best to get the best elk noises out of, period.  You won't see any world champion elk callers using internal reed tubes for the competition  ;).  That said, if a hunter has not put in the time, or not willing to, there are a couple of internal reed bugles that can get great locator bugles (Berry Thunder Bugle and Elknut's XTR area few that come to mind).  There are also some decent bite and blow cow calls out there that will answer the mail.  More importantly is to understand what kind of sounds you're throwing out and why you're throwing them out.  Elk do have a language and their vocalizations and physical responses are normally needing or demanding something.  Respond wrong or throw out an the wrong sound and the game just ended.  Learn the 4 or 5 basic elk sounds, and, understand what you're "hearing" and what they're saying and you'll be ahead of the game sir.   
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »
I've had best luck with alternating pair of different external reed cow calls and then use a diaphragm with tube for bugle when needed.  I found that I never scared anything off with the external reeds but I could with the diaphragm cow calls if I slipped up at all.   Yea the pro's go all diaphragm but you gotta practice with real elk and see their response - if you don't have time for that I would try like I do. 

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »
I normally use a primos terminator or E.L.K power bugle. And for chirps/mews, I use a cow girl call.  I recently purchased some reeds from elk101.com.  As mentioned above Corey Jacobson, and Steve Chappell, are probably some of the best "elk communicators" around.  I have watched all their videos and read their blogs all the time.

I have been working with this universal elk call reed for 2 weeks now, and it is freaking hard!  I am just getting down chirps; creating a growly and piercing bugle will take time!!!
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline Sessler13

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 10:41:29 PM »
Having spent lots of time learning coyote howls, turkey calls, and tons of time on a duck call, these bugling diaphragms are really tough! Thanks for the pointers guys. I am new to this elk hunting thing (usually too focused on ducks and upland), so i am going to go give bugling a try in the woods. No tags or ideas on where to go, so just practicing for next year for this season! We'll see how it goes!

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:30:30 PM »
Also look up Elknut Productions. Does a great job of telling you what elk are saying and how to respond. He is spot on as I have experienced what he talks about and if you know what the elk are saying you'll know how to respond.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »
Also look up Elknut Productions. Does a great job of telling you what elk are saying and how to respond. He is spot on as I have experienced what he talks about and if you know what the elk are saying you'll know how to respond.

Yes sir  :tup:
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »
Buy a couple different diaphragm calls. Not every call works for every person. You'll find maybe 1 or 2 different ones work really well, while the other ones are hard or inconsistent. Since you're beginning, stick to single reed calls calls. I'm just starting out and I like to think I've picked it up pretty quick. Listen to elk sounds. The more you know what an elk sounds like the more you know how you're supposed to sound. The biggest thing I think is to have a couple different calls to try. I have a handful of calls that I'm working on learning with and one of these last ones I bought seems to work best, while I can still barely get sounds out of some of the others. Everyone else has great advice. Listen to elknut. Listen to Jason Phelps. Listen to Corey Jacobson. They're all masters.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
Another note is that diaphragms "do not last indefinitely".  They wear out after they're broke in and you've squawked on them for a while... What's my point? Don't think that if you're not getting the same sounds as you previously were with XXX diaphragms, its you.  Look at them and when you physically hear a decline in your sounds (predominately higher notes), or, see creases/weak spots forming in the reed.... it's time to pull a new one our of your back up stock.  Some last longer than others but overall, as mentioned, they all wear out after a certain point.  Singles wear out faster than doubles.   
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline elkdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 06:27:20 AM »
I like the mouth reeds, Phelps reeds work really well for me. I started using an external reed last year made by Phelps. The external reed works well for calf calls for me. Like others have said, some reeds work well, other ones you can't make any kind of note. Pack spares that work, seems like I break the latex on one every year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]