collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which rangefinder do you use?  (Read 15025 times)

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Which rangefinder do you use?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
Sig 2400 is superfast - much more responsive and longer range than the Leica 1600B - and it should be at twice the cost.

Ranges up to 2200 yards consistently.

Offline jaymark6655

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 03:37:22 AM »
Just bought a Sig 2200 Kilo.  I had narrowed it down to Sig 2000 Kilo or Vortex Ranger 1500, went to Cabela's check them out in person.  The Sig was better menu wise and the aiming reticle was smaller and it had the better range.  While I was standing there, noticed they had a sale on the 2200 for $428 so I bought it.  So far I have been able to range wet grass out to 1100 in bright sunlight consistently.  Waiting for an overcast day to really see what it can do.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
I have an older Leica 800 and a g7 br2

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
For the money nothing ranges further than the Sig Kilos.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
I picked up two of the Sig Silo 2200, very disappointed for sure! I read so much hype about them being hands down better than the Vortex 1500 -- Simply not true! I talked to the Sig rep & he mentioned it could be the batteries that were used so he sent me two upgraded ones that are used in the 2400 models. (Duracell's) No difference in them. Our 2200's are best used in 0-900 yards at best, in most cases 800 yards is the best it will do & that's after you click the button a 1/2 dozen times! Once we did get a skosh over 1000 yards. The 1500 is brighter & will laser ranges side by side if not better than the Sig. I sold one of the Sigs & will be selling the other shortly. I have no idea how some here claim 2000 yards+ with this model. It simply is not true for us, as I mentioned I was very disappointed with them. Too, they have no way to attach them to your pack? The Vortex have a metal belt clip & slides perfectly on my packs horizontal chest strap.

It doesn't matter to me who owns what but those considering the 2200 may want to check out other units first!

ElkNut/Paul

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
I picked up two of the Sig Silo 2200, very disappointed for sure! I read so much hype about them being hands down better than the Vortex 1500 -- Simply not true! I talked to the Sig rep & he mentioned it could be the batteries that were used so he sent me two upgraded ones that are used in the 2400 models. (Duracell's) No difference in them. Our 2200's are best used in 0-900 yards at best, in most cases 800 yards is the best it will do & that's after you click the button a 1/2 dozen times! Once we did get a skosh over 1000 yards. The 1500 is brighter & will laser ranges side by side if not better than the Sig. I sold one of the Sigs & will be selling the other shortly. I have no idea how some here claim 2000 yards+ with this model. It simply is not true for us, as I mentioned I was very disappointed with them. Too, they have no way to attach them to your pack? The Vortex have a metal belt clip & slides perfectly on my packs horizontal chest strap.

It doesn't matter to me who owns what but those considering the 2200 may want to check out other units first!

ElkNut/Paul

Your experience is definitely different than the majority of the experiences shared around here. 
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2017, 11:08:56 PM »
Leica 1200 is what I have now.  I sure like the new G7 BR2500 Ballistic Rangefinder 7x reviews that came out.
Like the “shoot to” correction it does to correct yardage to your turret conditions. Was surprised sig didnt have this - I wrote them twice suggesting simple table lookup feature.  Going to be a shootout with sig 2400 and G7 with both $1499 street price for king of the rangefinders.

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 05:33:28 AM »
dscubame, no doubt about it, this is why I picked them up. I read many good reviews here on them. I believe guys are exaggerating the heck out of them. The two I had (still have one) aren't getting 1/2 the distances some here are claiming? What gives? I talked with the Sig Sauer Rep & he said I should easily get 1500-1800 yards. These haven't came close to it. They are at best an 800-900 yard unit. I f I were to purchase a new unit that needed to range 1500 yards consistently in would be the Leupold 1600 B -- Just sharing my honest findings!

Do you own a 2200? If so what ranges are you consistently receiving?

ElkNut/Paul

Offline Thenewguy

• Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »
Are we talking live settings or reflective targets?

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2017, 06:09:58 AM »
I have a Leica 1600 and a Sig Kilo 2000. The Sig gets more use.

+1

The Leica 1600 was a wedding gift from my wife and has a bit of sentimental value attached to it. If that wasn't the case I would have two Sigs.

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2017, 07:04:06 AM »
dscubame, no doubt about it, this is why I picked them up. I read many good reviews here on them. I believe guys are exaggerating the heck out of them. The two I had (still have one) aren't getting 1/2 the distances some here are claiming? What gives? I talked with the Sig Sauer Rep & he said I should easily get 1500-1800 yards. These haven't came close to it. They are at best an 800-900 yard unit. I f I were to purchase a new unit that needed to range 1500 yards consistently in would be the Leupold 1600 B -- Just sharing my honest findings!

Do you own a 2200? If so what ranges are you consistently receiving?

ElkNut/Paul

I have the Leica and was skeptical of the Sig due to price as I have found the less expensive ones not work as advertised, not even close.
I would expect what you experienced but with so many folks raving about them, over time I came to think maybe there is something there.
I most definitely trust what your saying just goes to remind a guy that once again you get what you pay for and do good research for yourself.  With your experience and background I consider a product review from you part of good research unless you have a business relationship or some other reason to be hyping Vortex. 
A little off topic and not to be accusatory here but so many relatively higher profile folks in the hunting industry giving good reviews to not so good products or not so good reviews to good products to help encourage the companies to continue flooding them with free gear and other perks, it's too bad.  Can't blame a guy for being skeptical with reviews and not just in this industry but most if not all others as well.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:16:41 AM by dscubame »

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »

Sorry, I meant Leica 1600 B. As far as research goes no I didn't go to any extreme looking for the perfect unit, I went by what I read here & on Rokslide. Many raved about it getting well over 2000 yards consistently, there were some that had the same issues I'm having but I decided what the heck I'll pick them up & see for myself. I even sent one back to Sig to check out, they sent it back saying it was perfectly fine along with the new duracell battery.

I wish it would perform like some say it does! I've tried it on mountain sides, trees, rocks, buildings, roof tops, you name it, it's like pulling teeth to get it to range 900 yards. No way will it do it on 3-4 clicks or holding down on scan mode.

Who here is reputable/trustworthy? I will send him this unit to check out for a week, I'll even send a pre-paid shipping label to send it back. I would like someone else here to see what this unit does for them!

ElkNut/Paul

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
Elknut.  I added a little more to my previous reply and my intentions are respectful and hope to be taken that way.  With that said I do enjoy and appreciate what you do in the industry.  A thank you from me.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »

ElkNut/Paul

Your experience is definitely different than the majority of the experiences shared around here.

I have heard others say the Sig Quality Assurance is not up to snuff.  He is not alone.
275 down 2

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2017, 08:40:43 AM »
How a range finder is used effects the results.

-Shaky hands and no tripod = reduced range  (I am convinced this is my problem)
-Target composition: the larger, harder, flatter, and more perpendicular it is too you the better (grass, deer fur, anything dew covered, and evergreens seem to be the best at diffusing the beam).
-Sunlight, Fog and Rain = reduced range (If sunny try shooting something in the shade from a shaded position or wait for a cloud to cross over the sun.  It will help, but your range will still be reduced.)
-Dirt or Scratched lens = reduced range
-Beam divergence (KILO2200 is 1.3MILRAD so its 4.68" at 1000 yards, most range finders are even bigger which can make ranging a distance target difficult to impossible if not enough laser is hitting the target or its hitting something else.)
-Not 100% sure on this, but I bet humidity has an impact too.

I did not get to try the Vortex outside the store, so my choice was based solely on the reticle difference and the menu layout.  Previous to that I was going to get one or the other due to price, claimed performance, and what reviews had said about them.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]