collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting ready for season.  (Read 1737 times)

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Getting ready for season.
« on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
Hey all, I'm finally getting everything all put together for this season. I lucked out and was able to pick up a Ruger American 30-06, a decent scope, extra odds and ends. Now I'm left with a few questions.

I picked up an external frame pack if I'm in a spot where I'll need to quarter the animal and pack it out. ? Leave the meat pack in the car, and come back down to get it after getting an animal? Ill only be doing day hunts but wanna carry less gear than I have in the past.
Do you carry your knife on your belt or in your pack? I've always been annoyed with the butt of my rifle banging on it when hiking. Of course I have my pocket knife, but asking for the sake of convenience. Maybe carry it on my left instead?
I've done some scouting, but started a little late. If anyone has any tips or starting points on units 3, 4 and 4a in n idaho I would really appreciate it. I'm not asking for any honey holes or anything just a starting point. I mainly like to glass clear cuts and then go from there. I've only hunted with a 3030 before so that limited my range in taking shots but I'm confident out to about 250 yards or so now.
I'm just excited to be able to get out and explore new country this year after a couple of years missing out. Anyways thank you all  , of course love this forum and all the advise and wisdom I've leaned here so far. Hope everyone has a productive and memorable season.

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tbotts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
Re: Getting ready for season.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
i carry my knife in my daypack.  I don't have any info on hunting in Idaho.  Never hunted there.   

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »
I never leave my pack anywhere. Better to suffer the mild inconvenience of carrying it then to have to hike back anywhere to get it.  :twocents:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 05:43:16 PM »
Take your knife and a small kill kit so you can get it either quartered or gutted asap.  Take the pack or leave it in the truck, it depends on whether you want to be inconvenienced during the hunt or make an extra trip.

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »
Yes I always carry a small day pack with essentials, knife game bags/pillow cases, tag,   first aid, water etc what have you. I was just referring to a meat pack strictly for hauling meat after it's been quartered.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline piledup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
There's deer all over in the units you mentioned. A lot of the pressure comes from road hunters so If you can get away from the road, you should see animals  :tup:

P.S. Maybe the road hunters are very successful that way as well hence so many of them use that method :dunno:

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
First aid kit, survival gear. Don't leave camp without it.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 08:52:11 PM »
Strap your daypack to your pack frame....problem solved. If your first trip out from a kill isn't loaded it's wanted.

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 09:11:11 PM »
If your meat hauler had an attachable pack I would consider getting it. I strapped a daypack onto my frame hauler it works but kinda sucks. If your day pack has room for some meat that would work fine, but making a trip without a meat load is seriously wasted energy.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
My plan if leaving a pack back at the car would be gut, quarter, sac and hang quarters, pack heart,liver, back strap, tenderloins, and maybe a front quarter in my day pack. Hike back down, and come back for the rest of the quarters, and head if a buck.
― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand