collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chelan County deer down 25% for 2017  (Read 5221 times)

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Chelan County deer down 25% for 2017
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
Not surprising, but hadn't seen this before.  From the WDFW hunting prospects page for Chelan/Douglas counties:

"Surveys flown returned a population estimate of roughly 15,000 deer in Chelan County south of Lake Chelan in spring 2016. These numbers aligned with our previous population estimates of 15,000 and 18,000 deer in the same area. Spring flights were flown again in 2017 and results showed a decline in the herd size. Winter is the dominant factor affecting population size in the district. Over the 2016-17 winter, snow covered a larger portion of the winter range in Chelan County, snow depths were greater than in previous years, and the duration of snow cover extended farther into the spring. Those factors combined to reduce the population by 25 percent, down to an estimate of roughly 11,000 deer across the same area."

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/prospects/2017/district07.pdf

Offline muleracks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Chelan County deer down 25% for 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
I think everyone expected to loose some deer after the many easy winters we have had before the winter of 16-17.  Good to see the official report form the WDFW.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
Interesting. I have some cameras on the north shore and frankly almost all the local does I've seen have had great looking fawns. Significant amount of twins as well. Maybe while overall populations are down, increased moisture from this winter and reduced resource competition from other deer could bode well for the future recovery?  :dunno:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
We had a really mild fall through November, unfortunately the severe cold and snow came right after the rut and may have impacted some of the hard-rutting dominant bucks.  With that exception, I'd expect that most of the winter loss was 2016 fawns, and will have a greater impact on general season buck hunting in 2018 than 2017.  The 2016 buck fawns are this years yearling spikes and small forks, will be interesting to see if they are scarce this fall.  If so, the 2.5 year old bucks that are the largest component of the 3+ point harvest may be scarcer in 2018.   
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »
From what I have experienced the last 5 days.......I agree with this report 100%  :twocents:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
Curious what others thoughts are now that modern is almost done.  :dunno:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
I hunted muzzy mostly in Douglas county, and overall deer numbers were definitely down. My usual honey holes were scarce, and in all my scouting and over 60 miles hiked during season only saw 1 legal buck (on private ground or public). I've been hearing the same from the rifle hunters. And supposedly we're in for another tough winter, next year should be interesting...
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
I think they are down even more than that...other than localized deer, which gives a false sense of hope, but this winter a walk in the woods will reveal how bad it really is.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline crankin04

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
I took a whole week off (9 days) of the general modern rifle, and put at least 3 days of first light to last light, Many miles hunting in the Entiat, Swakane, and Mission Units in spots where I have either killed or seen legal bucks (let alone bucks in general) and saw only THREE 2 Points and ONE Spike all 9 days.... Probably 50 does or more.

I will say that I did see about 10 bucks, 7 legal all on Private lands in the Swakane Unit during pre-season scouting and during the season... Of course, the people are anti-hunters and the thought of you coming around their property in orange and a muddy truck seems to bother them.

I think 25% is a BIG Understatement.  :bash: :(

Offline heavyhorned

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
went out almost everyday sun up to sun down. saw just eight bucks. two on privet land both were legal, five on public land(spikes and two points),and one really big 4x5 inside city limits. saw about 25 doe's on public land. i think the numbers are way off from the 25%. i know of 15 deer killed,9 on privet land or just above orchards and 6 in the mountains. three of the six were taken high and far from any roads. i know of two cougars taken,one in the mountains and one above a orchard. i will bet when the harvest reports comes out for this unit it will be way down,and if this early snow is any indication of whats to come for winter i bet the herd numbers will be really low. might be a few years of hard hunting.

Offline crankin04

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 12:34:02 PM »
went out almost everyday sun up to sun down. saw just eight bucks. two on privet land both were legal, five on public land(spikes and two points),and one really big 4x5 inside city limits. saw about 25 doe's on public land. i think the numbers are way off from the 25%. i know of 15 deer killed,9 on privet land or just above orchards and 6 in the mountains. three of the six were taken high and far from any roads. i know of two cougars taken,one in the mountains and one above a orchard. i will bet when the harvest reports comes out for this unit it will be way down,and if this early snow is any indication of whats to come for winter i bet the herd numbers will be really low. might be a few years of hard hunting.

Few years of "hard" hunting? More like a few years of NOT hunting these poor Chelan deer for me... I'm both frustrated and saddened to be honest

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
I agree, 25% is a under-statement!! 

Wonder what the character who told the news "our three point or better system is working" is at!?? :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline howlow

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
I talked to a biologist the other day on the low buck to doe ratio   He said the bucks are the first to go in a bad long winter due to them being exhausted from the rut.  So I'm guessing it will take 3 years of mild winters to get the bucks back to legal shooters

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »
Well. There you have it ! Just as fish n feathers had it figgered ,  I haven't been involved in the missle silo , parade in a lot of years , but this year I'm helping out a veteran buddy , counting 2 cameras , 8 days of hard hunting , we have seen 9 headgear lacking disappointments , and not 1 buck ! There so night clubed up forget it , unless you lucky enough to step on a white fluffy tail , this crap is a joke , not to mention the crowds , the duck hunters going off every 20 seconds ,vehicles puttn around everywhere ,and the ridiculous dress code ! Glad that in life we still have options , and my choice is bow for all these ridiculous reasons , soooooo , get out there before we are left with no options, when guns become illegal ,,,,, I become a criminal !!!
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
I talked to a biologist the other day on the low buck to doe ratio   He said the bucks are the first to go in a bad long winter due to them being exhausted from the rut.  So I'm guessing it will take 3 years of mild winters to get the bucks back to legal shooters

Yep, that’s what I saw where I hunt this year. Lots of young bucks, does, but low on mature bucks , and fawns.  :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand