collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weyco closures, not looking good!  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
Weyco closures, not looking good!
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:02:11 AM »
I bit the bullet this year and purchased the weyco permit in order to have more options finding elk. Been scouting hard since August 1st  trying to find the elk, finally found a decent area, found a camping spot, put in for vacation at work for the opener next weekend and sure enough I get a email this morning saying permit areas will be shut down if we move into a stage 4 fire precaution 😡😡.. my plan A has already been ruined in a different timberland, it's been closed for 6 weeks now a possibility of plan b,c and d shutting down. This sucks, sure wish it'd rain or at least cool down. The only option left if that happens is going in blind into national forest land along with Everyone else and their brother.
 Has any previous weyco permit holders ever had the permit area shut down on them like that?
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
Re: Weyco closures, not looking good!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:09:45 AM »
Happens almost every year.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
IMO those permits are almost never worth the money. They raise the rates all the time, and for what? Its not like the habitat is any better than anywhere else (and they certainly aren't working to improve that), and the hunting pressure is almost equal if not worse than some public spots because they allow vehicles behind the gates. Sorry you aren't seeing more game out there, that can't feel good.

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »
No im not complaining about the permit at all, I'm seeing way more game then I would on state land or a non permitted area and so far while I'm up there scouting I rarely see another person. I wasn't worried about fire closures because a friend of mine who's been buying this same permit for the last 4-5 years said they've never closed it down on him. What I'm upset about is they make us carry pick axes, shovels and fire extinguisher, why not call that good and let us do what we paid 350$ to do. It's ridiculous if you ask me... I know it's their land and they can do what they want but we paid premium money to access it and they turn around and tell us to keep out during the prime of the elk rut?? Why else did I buy the permit then??

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 08:54:31 AM »
It's an industrial tree farm. You buy the permit knowing they care a lot more about billions of dollars in trees than your (and mine) elk season.  :twocents:

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »

It's an industrial tree farm. You buy the permit knowing they care a lot more about billions of dollars in trees than your (and mine) elk season.  :twocents:
I know I'm selfish like that when it comes to hunten!!

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
No im not complaining about the permit at all, I'm seeing way more game then I would on state land or a non permitted area and so far while I'm up there scouting I rarely see another person. I wasn't worried about fire closures because a friend of mine who's been buying this same permit for the last 4-5 years said they've never closed it down on him. What I'm upset about is they make us carry pick axes, shovels and fire extinguisher, why not call that good and let us do what we paid 350$ to do. It's ridiculous if you ask me... I know it's their land and they can do what they want but we paid premium money to access it and they turn around and tell us to keep out during the prime of the elk rut?? Why else did I buy the permit then??

:dunno: With the rash of fires popping up in the last 24-48 hours, I hope you can understand how timber companies would want to be very careful with extra trucks and people running around on their land.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:27 AM »
:yeah:
If Vail wasn't in my back yard I wouldn't buy a permit.  It is worth it if you have quick, easy access but for for most folks who live an hour + away it doesn't pencil out considering closures, crowding on weekends, lack of real scouting time and so on. It is a huge unit that is changing every day and Google Earth is very little help considering that they only update every few years.  A couple of timber patches that I hunted hard last year are all at the mill now.   :chuckle:

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »

:dunno: With the rash of fires popping up in the last 24-48 hours, I hope you can understand how timber companies would want to be very careful with extra trucks and people running around on their land.
I don't get pissed about the closures because I see plenty of idiot permit holders that are the exact reason that Weyco has to enforce restrictions.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »
I figured out how we can solve this.  We toss the fire extinguisher and keep the shovel. However, we add this equation:

If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline Nice Racks

• Sourdough
  • Groups: McChord AFB Archery Club
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
If Vail wasn't in my back yard I wouldn't buy a permit.  It is worth it if you have quick, easy access but for for most folks who live an hour + away it doesn't pencil out considering closures, crowding on weekends, lack of real scouting time and so on. It is a huge unit that is changing every day and Google Earth is very little help considering that they only update every few years.  A couple of timber patches that I hunted hard last year are all at the mill now.   :chuckle:

I got an email this morning saying Vail may shut down also.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
I've got a permit and my wife and dad are going to hunt archery elk.  I sure hope it doesn't close down but would understand if they did close it.

Offline Ingwe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
I have bought a permit every year they have sold them and never been shut out by fire danger. But there is always a first time

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 09:27:28 PM »
What area?  I got the same email and checked and my area is only at a level 2 right now.  I have not been shut out in the last 4 years.  They just like to remind people and hopefully convince them to be careful. 
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 06:37:16 AM »
I got the same email last year. I called and talked to them and they said they have only reached level 4 once in the past. I bet it stays open with cooler nights and a smidgeon of moisture in the air in the mornings.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]