collapse

Advertisement

Poll

What elk did you get this year or are you enjoying tag soup? (must vote to see results)

Rocky Mountain Bull
Rocky Mountain Cow
Roosevelt Bull
Roosevelt Cow
Damage Tag Cow
Roadkill With My Vehicle
Roadkill From Another Vehicle
Tag Soup (WA elk tag)
Tag Soup (out of state elk tag)
I Helped A Successful Hunter
I'm Not Finished Hunting But Will Change My Vote After I'm Finished

Author Topic: 2017 Elk, post them here (photos & stats)  (Read 98814 times)

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
Re: 2017 Elk, post them here (photos & stats)
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2017, 09:04:43 PM »
 Super stoked for everyone. Season started out tough but looks like persistence is paying off. Keep up the good work guys.

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2017, 09:05:44 PM »
My son shot this today while hunting with a great friend. Great bulls everyone.

Offline Weehunt66

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »
Fun Hunt during the early season. Found this one bedded. He hung around just long enough.

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
Muzzy OTC, opening day.

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »
Usually an archery hunter but with a new baby due (and now born) at the end of the September, I thought it safe to hold off on archery this year. Bought a muzzy west side tag instead. Found time to get out of the house for the opener and went to my favorite spot. Put a stalk on a great 6 point rosie last year in this hole. Got several miles into that deep hole and a bugled produced an answer. Spent the next 30 minutes working this bull up thinking it was potentially the big boy from last year. Was surprised when this little 4 point showed his face at 10 yards in the jack-fir patch we met up in, acting like a big dog the whole time with chuckles, raking, and huffing. With limited time to hunt this season and a great calling session I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger. Now back to work.... Best of luck to everyone else this season! Joel-
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2017, 10:32:35 PM »
Congrats. Joel. Good job.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2017, 11:46:07 PM »
Muzzy OTC, opening day.

I love that area. So many great memories.

Congrats
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »
I got a 4 point roosevelt yesterday.  Meat in the freezer!

Offline Washington Wapiti

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, MDF, NWTF
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »
An epic end to the weirdest, longest, and most emotionally up-and-down 9 days of elk hunting I've had in so far in ten years. 6 x 7 Rosie (Cascade Rosie) bull down on September 17th.

The "Cliffnotes" run-down . . . After the treestand rig and trail cam saga, we then discovered someone dumped part of our water cache, and left the water jug (Same people? I'm thinking probably) on opening day. Crickets for the first 3 days. After rigging the receiver chain with a quick link, to patch it back together, I set my treestand all back up later on the third day; praying that none of the other links were weakened, which would snap unexpectedly and send me crashing to the hard ground 23 feet below. I was fuming all over again afterwards.   >:(  My brother had to leave that evening and so he missed out on all the action. Comfortable, back up in my perch, I got a bull and his cow talking the next day. I chased them around for 4 days, both from the ground and from my treestand. This guy's hormones were RAGING. I've never heard vocalizations like this. He was so throaty, I thought it was fake. Thought it was a hunter who was bugling and blowing a lot of air through his tube. Until he came out of the timber, that is. He walked by my stand at 50 or 60 yards, with a ton of brush and trees between us, so no chance for a shot. So I just sat and watched on high alert. Four days of frustrating, but outstanding elk behavior observation. A lot of back and forth calling action with them, I could write a whole post just on that several days of calling craziness.

Didn't connect. Then on my last day, I finished up my morning hunt, and pulled my stand, Lifeline, and screw-in-steps. I was in shorts, packing up camp, and a cow shot across the opening 60 yards in-front of me. :bash:  Another missed opportunity. I'm still in shock, that I'm seeing elk right here. That's not normal. Then a light bulb goes off, and I run and grab my bow hanging on a limb 20 or so yards away. Luckily my release is still on my wrist! I then run to within about 30 yards from where the cow comes out, drop to a knee and wait. Two minutes later, I see antlers start to appear over the brush and I draw back and hold. He steps out, head and front two legs exposed, vitals partially obscured, and he stops, swings his head around and is peering right at me. No rangefinder...I estimate the distance and split my pins, then let it fly...

A huge, special thanks to Swordtine and his brother for taking time out of their hunt to help me cut and pack out this magnificent beast. I met these guys about 6 years ago, and they represent everything a fellow hunter should be. Momma brought you boys up right! With all the low back problems I've had the last few years, it would've taken me an extra full day to bone out and get all the meat out by myself. Last minute of my last day . . . you just never know when it's gonna happen.
The only time I've hugged a tree was to hang a treestand.

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »
An epic end to the weirdest, longest, and most emotionally up-and-down 9 days of elk hunting I've had in so far in ten years. 6 x 7 Rosie (Cascade Rosie) bull down on September 17th.

The "Cliffnotes" run-down . . . After the treestand rig and trail cam saga, we then discovered someone dumped part of our water cache, and left the water jug (Same people? I'm thinking probably) on opening day. Crickets for the first 3 days. After rigging the receiver chain with a quick link, to patch it back together, I set my treestand all back up later on the third day; praying that none of the other links were weakened, which would snap unexpectedly and send me crashing to the hard ground 23 feet below. I was fuming all over again afterwards.   >:(  My brother had to leave that evening and so he missed out on all the action. Comfortable, back up in my perch, I got a bull and his cow talking the next day. I chased them around for 4 days, both from the ground and from my treestand. This guy's hormones were RAGING. I've never heard vocalizations like this. He was so throaty, I thought it was fake. Thought it was a hunter who was bugling and blowing a lot of air through his tube. Until he came out of the timber, that is. He walked by my stand at 50 or 60 yards, with a ton of brush and trees between us, so no chance for a shot. So I just sat and watched on high alert. Four days of frustrating, but outstanding elk behavior observation. A lot of back and forth calling action with them, I could write a whole post just on that several days of calling craziness.

Didn't connect. Then on my last day, I finished up my morning hunt, and pulled my stand, Lifeline, and screw-in-steps. I was in shorts, packing up camp, and a cow shot across the opening 60 yards in-front of me. :bash:  Another missed opportunity. I'm still in shock, that I'm seeing elk right here. That's not normal. Then a light bulb goes off, and I run and grab my bow hanging on a limb 20 or so yards away. Luckily my release is still on my wrist! I then run to within about 30 yards from where the cow comes out, drop to a knee and wait. Two minutes later, I see antlers start to appear over the brush and I draw back and hold. He steps out, head and front two legs exposed, vitals partially obscured, and he stops, swings his head around and is peering right at me. No rangefinder...I estimate the distance and split my pins, then let it fly...

A huge, special thanks to Swordtine and his brother for taking time out of their hunt to help me cut and pack out this magnificent beast. I met these guys about 6 years ago, and they represent everything a fellow hunter should be. Momma brought you boys up right! With all the low back problems I've had the last few years, it would've taken me an extra full day to bone out and get all the meat out by myself. Last minute of my last day . . . you just never know when it's gonna happen.
Beast! That story keeps me grinding. Way to hang in there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Washington Wapiti

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, MDF, NWTF
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »

Thanks CLARKTAR. There are years where 9 or 10 days can seem like a real grind. I had to re-dedicate this year. Last year I lost my patience after a similar slow opener/getting my stuff stolen/family stuff going on . . . I packed it in after 3 days.
The only time I've hugged a tree was to hang a treestand.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »
Couple a nice Spikes and coupe of monster bulls too nice grats all. :tup:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2017, 05:23:52 AM »

That's an monster of a bull! Congrats!
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline BigBullDreamer11

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:34 AM »
10/8 muzzy!!

Offline goosewhacker

• Tracker
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
Colockum muzzy bull 10/4. Only took 26 points...LOL. Looking at this it might be my last bull. I'm 60 now and can't get it done like I used to but thanks to some amazing friends I was able to fill the tag. My husband, who has been my hunting partner for 25 years had a medical issue come up so he couldn't hunt. I was so down, we had really looked forward to a tag like this for us for so long. Our friend, his son, and his son's friend stepped in and their generosity in opening their cabin to us and their help all the way thru meant that I could go on this hunt. Usually I am a rifle hunter, but being able to hunt this time of the year was an amazing experience. So many elk, so many bulls, the sounds, the smells..it was awesome. I had an opportunity every day. This bull presented the best opportunity for a clean kill on the last day that I would be able to hunt. He certainly wasn't the biggest bull we saw but I'm really happy to fill an empty freezer with this one. So thanks Jim and Mark, and Duckhunter14 for making this possible and so much damn fun!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal