collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: High Power Bino/Tripod Set up vs Spotting Scope  (Read 2545 times)

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
High Power Bino/Tripod Set up vs Spotting Scope
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »
I've read a few other threads on other forums and I wanted to see what you all thought here.

I've never liked spotting scopes because I had poor quality scopes and didn't like using one eye.  I have no doubt that a high quality scope would be a much nicer experience.  So I am in the market for one.

I have also seen a trend with guys using 15x or larger binos and a tripod with great reviews.  I have always enjoyed using binos more, but I am wondering if I will be missing out on critters or wishing I could zoom in with a set of optics that only have 15x. 

What are your experiences with either setup and your pros and cons.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: High Power Bino/Tripod Set up vs Spotting Scope
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
Bump/tag

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »
I'll give an update, bought a Vortex razor, gave it a shot, and returned them.  It really was not comfortable for glassing long periods of time.  I also doubt I will ever want to pack it around.  I'm gonna give bigger binoculars a shot

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
Honestly it depends on what and where you are hunting. I think the best way to go is a high quality pair of binos 10x42 on a tripod and a spotter. The 10x42 allows you good fov to find your deer or elk. Then switch over to your spotter to find out if it's worth the stalk. I'm running a maven setup with an outdoorsmans medium tripod and a pistol grip, I'd like to get a panhead eventually. It's absolutely amazing the difference glassing is with your binos on a tripod. I can pick out deer in no time on my tripod while my buddies search forever (freehand) trying to find what I'm looking at.  :twocents:

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
Honestly it depends on what and where you are hunting. I think the best way to go is a high quality pair of binos 10x42 on a tripod and a spotter. The 10x42 allows you good fov to find your deer or elk. Then switch over to your spotter to find out if it's worth the stalk. I'm running a maven setup with an outdoorsmans medium tripod and a pistol grip, I'd like to get a panhead eventually. It's absolutely amazing the difference glassing is with your binos on a tripod. I can pick out deer in no time on my tripod while my buddies search forever (freehand) trying to find what I'm looking at.  :twocents:

How do you hook your binoculars up to the tripod? I have a pair of leupold Mojave 10x42. Not as nice as some but they are good. I would like to get a tripod for them. I've been looking at the outdoorsman. 

Also with the maven set up and pistol grip do you have the ball so you can go forward and back and also side to side with the pistol grip on top of the ball??

Offline jjhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:10:10 PM »
I use 15x Swarovski's 95% of the time.  I have a 95mm and 65mm Swarovski spotter and always have one or the other in my pack for detail work.

I recently bought a BTX which allows two eye viewing at 35x.  For big country where I am day hiking, these will be tough to beat.  I will use the hell out of them in Eastern Nevada in a couple of weeks.

I just got back from a high country hunt in Colorado where my 15x binoculars paid huge dividends.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »
I use 15x Swarovski's 95% of the time.  I have a 95mm and 65mm Swarovski spotter and always have one or the other in my pack for detail work.

I recently bought a BTX which allows two eye viewing at 35x.  For big country where I am day hiking, these will be tough to beat.  I will use the hell out of them in Eastern Nevada in a couple of weeks.

I just got back from a high country hunt in Colorado where my 15x binoculars paid huge dividends.

I was going to PM you about your 15s and how you like them. I'm heading to Montana for the first time and trying to decide if I need to step it up from my 10x42s for glassing. I usually hunt thick stuff and hardly ever glass further than 300 yards

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21:34 PM »
A tripod mounted 15x56 Swaro SLC or 15x60 Zeiss B/GA or Docter Nobelim are the gold standard for finding game.  We use 15x56 Swaro SLC and then spotting scopes for detail work looking at game.  I have written about the big Swaro SLC here before.   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:46:35 PM by JDHasty »

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
I am using a pair of Vortex Vultures on tripod. They came with a adapter to go to a standard tripod.

I. Pack them hunting too. I needed bigger and better glass for my old eyes picking out those tiny 3 points.

I do have a straight tube Bushell scope also in the truck. Had them 30 years.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 08:31:15 PM »
I'll give an update, bought a Vortex razor, gave it a shot, and returned them.  It really was not comfortable for glassing long periods of time.  I also doubt I will ever want to pack it around.  I'm gonna give bigger binoculars a shot

Our old Leupold 12-40x60 GR is about the most scope I would want to haul around on my back while hunting, and nothing I know of outshines it for that application.

We have a few eyepieces for our Razor 85 and the LER makes hours of viewing mucho more comfortable.  When looking for game with it I almost always have one of the fixed power eyepieces on it, then if I want to look closer after I have found something to look at I will switch it out with the 20-60 eyepiece.  My buddy does the same with his Swaro, quite frequently he uses one of my fixed power Razor eyepieces on it. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:26:29 PM by JDHasty »

Offline jjhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 08:37:42 PM »
The new Swarovski with the large ocular is sure easy to look through.  If weight is an issue, take a 65mm version.  The 15x isn't enough by itself.  If I am day hiking, I'll pack the 95mm which is a beast, but so worth it. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]