collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Utv/sxs worth owning in Washington?  (Read 6933 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Utv/sxs worth owning in Washington?
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:00:20 AM »
So I ran into a few sxs's running around the woods in the ne corner this last weekend, and it really started to give me that new toy itch.

I used to have quads, absolutely loved em, but the areas to ride started drying up, trails near Forest service roads started requiring trailers to go between trailheads,  and I was tired of not using them much. I sold them off about 5-6 years ago.

Now with the new laws making atvs Street able in some areas, and what seems like the forest service opening some more roads, I think I'd like to jump on another toy. This time I was thinking a sxs, not a razor, more like a Polaris ranger, want the bed, 4 seats, don't need to go crazy fast.

My question is, has the trail system, and roads system, opened up enough to justify one? I'm still unsure exactly where I can use them.  Most all my hunting is done in the ne corner of the state, we camp in the blues quite a bit, and I'll be hunting Idaho starting next year.

Is there enough riding around to keep you happy as an utv owner?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Utv/sxs worth owning in Washington?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
If you run Idaho you might look into their restrictions on width, as for WA you will want to get the on road sticker that goes on your license plate.  The onroad tab requires a few extra bucks for the inspection requirements and any upgrades required but it's pretty easy for a new SXS, the dealer will get you sorted out if you go new vehicle.   Just add some mirrors and make sure it has some blinkers, brake lights, they sell kits, if you go used.

You can go on just about any road with a maximum speed limit of 35mph around the NE counties but you will want to look into the blues I'm not sure.  Some counties vary, and some townships/cities allow their use.

It's still confusing, I just got a plate for my ATV and I'm going to install blinkers and such later on when I get time.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
I got one last year and love it.  I drive it around town more then I do in the hills.  I bought the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 which was a good compromise between sport and utility.  Seats 5 if you don't need the bed and 3 if you need the bed.  So far, I have been very pleased.   :tup:

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »
I've been pleased with my 2016 Yamaha Viking VI Ranch Edition.  Needed the six seater when all the family is at the property.  They make a three seater as well.  Yamaha dependibility....nice machines.  Bearpaw also has the same unit and has used his far more than I have used mine.  You can just imagine the workout he gives his, and his comments are positive as well.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
I got one last year and love it.  I drive it around town more then I do in the hills.  I bought the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 which was a good compromise between sport and utility.  Seats 5 if you don't need the bed and 3 if you need the bed.  So far, I have been very pleased.   :tup:

+1 for the Pioneer.  We got a 1000 3 seater last year and love it! It's awesome at the farm, on the trail, in the snow and for hunting. It's super quiet compared to other utvs, and the tranny shifts super smooth.  Can crawl up hills without having to carry speed to keep from slipping a belt.  It will go anywhere the can-ams, polaris, yahama's will go with better ground clearance.  Ours is 64" wide, and can fit through all but the 50" max quad trails (which are usually marked at the trail heads).

We ride in the Manashtash/Taneum area, Conconully (most all of Okanogan County is atv friendly) and Wallace, ID.  Our town allows them on roads under 35mph.  More and more areas are opening up, and I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before the entire state is legal, just like Idaho. Maybe wishful thinking, but I try to be optimistic  :)
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
Mid-size Ranger fit in our toy hauler... just barely.   Ours was stolen, but am going to get another.

Full size is not as wet-side capable as the mid-size.  Too wide a lot of times and
I added a third seat belt and rear facing jump seat.  We loved it. 

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
As far as I know ATV's are still not legal on most National Forest roads in Washington. At least not in the areas I'm familiar with, such as the Cle Elum and Naches Ranger Districts. So I don't see the point in getting one.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
Yeah I'm hopeful that the laws are changing for the better for sure, otherwise I would be tempted, and still am tempted, to buy a 4runner or a explorer, and build that to take with me to the woods.

If i decide to get one, it'll have to be a 4+ seater, has to have a bed, and I'll probably want 800cc+, it'll be a used purchase, or I'll buy a odes or other Chinese bike and just know it'll need wrenching time, which I don't mind doing at all. Been browsing utv forums and some of the Chinese clones are getting good reviews, and alot of parts from name brand bikes fit ( biggest worry is parts availability).

Overall if I get one it'll have a easy life. Im pretty well done with going fast and pushing the limits of stuff, had a built bombardier ds650 Baja before, to many close calls to want to do that stuff again.

I've got a while before I am going to be in the market for a big toy, buying a house next month, and I'm sure there will be plenty of honeydo's and projects that will arise from that.
Is there a better time of year to buy them? Figure I could be ready by next spring, but seems like that may be a terrible time to buy a toy like this?

Offline elkaholic123

• Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 09:03:51 PM »
I have a RZR 900 trail, I have it licensed for the street, have taken it to Idaho hunting. I plan on taking it deer and elk hunting this year.
elkaholic

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 10:17:25 PM »
http://sodo-moto.com/listings/1991-toyota-hiace-double-cab-firetruck-4x4/

Street legal, seats 6 (short legged people), diesel 4x4

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
I'm a big fan of camo ATV's, it's hard to see until you get right up on it.

I like to hide the ATV at the top and leave the truck parked at the bottom, then I go fetch the ATV later.   If you do it the other way around it's a cold ride to the top when your exhausted!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »
As far as I know ATV's are still not legal on most National Forest roads in Washington. At least not in the areas I'm familiar with, such as the Cle Elum and Naches Ranger Districts. So I don't see the point in getting one.

:yeah: In Washington most USFS roads are closed. In the NE corner you can ride on state, timber company, or any county maintained road which includes quite a few roads in the forest. In the whole state of Idaho you can ride anything that is not State Highway or Freeway, I think it's the same in Montana and Utah, I use them a lot in all these states. Be sure you have correct licensing where you plan to ride.

I've been pleased with my 2016 Yamaha Viking VI Ranch Edition.  Needed the six seater when all the family is at the property.  They make a three seater as well.  Yamaha dependibility....nice machines.  Bearpaw also has the same unit and has used his far more than I have used mine.  You can just imagine the workout he gives his, and his comments are positive as well.

We use a lot of machines in my business, we have two Yamaha Viking VI and an Rhino, all three are good machines. The Vikings haul 6 people, have a big box, steer awesome, and one has 5000 miles already, not a single break down of any type. I have a set of tracks that we've used a fair amount on one Viking without any problems, we've been in 4-6 feet of snow with them, they are awesome. The rhino has also been very reliable too and gets into narrow roads and tighter places better than the Viking VI. I've been looking at that new Wolverine 4 with the 847cc, a bigger motor, it's a little larger sized than the rhino but smaller than the viking, but it doesn't look like they have EPS on it yet, I'm going to wait a year and see if they add electric power steering and then I might buy one. I've been spoiled by Yamaha power steering, both the Vikings have EPS and I bought a Kodiak 700 last fall with EPS, power steering is a must from now on.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »
that almost looks like a coyote in that dog box  :chuckle:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 11:16:56 AM »
that almost looks like a coyote in that dog box  :chuckle:

jadg/irish terrier cross, an amazing little dog, she hunts with the hounds and tracks down wounded game for us, which is legal to do in Idaho. I've seen wounded cougar grab her and shake her like a rag doll, amazingly she has survived. She finds deer, elk, bear, and/or cougar for us every year. I sure wished Wash allowed blood trailing dogs, it's amazing how many wounded animals can be recovered by a good blood tracking dog. We just used her last night in Idaho, turns out the hunter must have missed, she couldn't find any blood.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/question/recovery-dogs

sorry about the  :jacked:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]