collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: White river gmu closed  (Read 12868 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: White river gmu closed
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
As of now GMU 346 Little Naches is closed.

They can't close an entire GMU unless, I suppose, the whole entire GMU is public land. You can't close access to someone else's private land. Parts of it may be closed, but unless the entire GMU is public land, they can't close the whole thing.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »

They can't close an entire GMU unless, I suppose, the whole entire GMU is public land. You can't close access to someone else's private land. Parts of it may be closed, but unless the entire GMU is public land, they can't close the whole thing.

WDFW could do an emergency closure and close down hunting in the gmu, much like they do with rivers and fishing...

It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »

WDFW could do an emergency closure and close down hunting in the gmu, much like they do with rivers and fishing...

Have you seen that done before?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »
I believe there was an instance in the mid-1970's they delayed opening day of deer in October for a week or so due to extreme fire danger, but was so long ago, I can't remember what year exactly.

Regardless, it doesn't take away the fact that they have the authority to open or close an area, especially in emergent situations like high fire danger or actual fires.  Just seems like commonsense to me, they can open or close a fishery outside of posted seasons, why not the same with hunting??

Not stating that is what is happening as I don't know, I am just saying it may be a possibility.   Don't believe WDFW has ever offered to take back permits and refund points across the board either, but they are now...

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »
I believe there was an instance in the mid-1970's they delayed opening day of deer in October for a week or so due to extreme fire danger, but was so long ago, I can't remember what year exactly.

Regardless, it doesn't take away the fact that they have the authority to open or close an area, especially in emergent situations like high fire danger or actual fires.  Just seems like commonsense to me, they can open or close a fishery outside of posted seasons, why not the same with hunting??

Not stating that is what is happening as I don't know, I am just saying it may be a possibility.   Don't believe WDFW has ever offered to take back permits and refund points across the board either, but they are now...

@Bob33  Any thoughts on this?

What do you mean by refunding points across the board?
Points were refunded in the Wenaha and Tucannon a couple years ago for the archery guys due to the big fire down in that country too. It was optional. A couple guys I know of kept their permits and killed big bulls.
I'm not trying to argue...legitimate questions that Bob and I were talking about the other day.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »

@Bob33  Any thoughts on this?

What do you mean by refunding points across the board?
Points were refunded in the Wenaha and Tucannon a couple years ago for the archery guys due to the big fire down in that country too. It was optional. A couple guys I know of kept their permits and killed big bulls.
I'm not trying to argue...legitimate questions that Bob and I were talking about the other day.

Again, that is/was something that did not effect me so I have/had no knowledge.

Again, I am not saying that is what is happening now.  I am just putting out a possible reason/answer to those that are saying "they" have closed such and such gmu and others are saying "they" can't close an entire gmu because of any private property inside it.

Again, I am suggesting that "they" are not closing access, but if "they" are infact shutting an entire gmu down, it may be hunting that is being shutdown, not across the board access.

To avoid any further nit-picking on my use of "across the board," let me try to clarify. I meant across the board to all those permit holders in the fire affected gmu's that have been the topic of discussion. 

I suppose I could have listed each gmu that has been discussed, followed by a cavaet that those particular permit holders were the ones geting points refunded if they chose instead of apparently muddying up the waters by saying "across the board" but I didn't realize it was going to be such a difficult concept to accept, and I thought it would be understood or implied that it was in regards to the unit(s) being discussed.

Sorry if I made things more difficult for some to understand what I was trying to say.  Just thought I was offering an alternative answer to the question about the entire gmu being closed and how "they" might be able to do it. 

It is something done with fisheries on a regular basis, just seems like it could apply here as well, don't understand why that is such a hard concept to grasp. 

Hopefully someone with inside knowledge of WDFW will chime in and then maybe we will all know the real answer as to what is happening...

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
There is nothing on the WDFW website indicating entire GMUs are closes to hunting. I don't believe they have closed entire GMUs or there were would be public information available.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 07:22:38 PM »
This may clear-up the question of whether WDFW can do a closure under emergency rule, or at least this looks like it does...again, not talking about closing an area they do not own to access, but authorizing it being closed to the act of hunting.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-111-010

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.12.150

One more time, not saying this has or is happening. 

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2017, 07:23:14 PM »
There is nothing on the WDFW website indicating entire GMUs are closes to hunting. I don't believe they have closed entire GMUs or there were would be public information available.

:yeah:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2017, 07:24:31 PM »
This may clear-up the question of whether WDFW can do a closure under emergency rule, or at least this looks like it does...again, not talking about closing an area they do not own to access, but authorizing it being closed to the act of hunting.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-111-010

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.12.150
If If want to hunt coyote in this GMU how would I know it is closed to hunting? On what authority could I be charged?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
I'm sure the WDFW can close hunting by GMU, or for any particular area or region they like. I just don't know that that is what has been done. As Bob33 said, the WDFW has not notified the public of any closures. I believe people are mis-understanding, when they hear that a particular special permit holder has been given the option to turn in the permit and have points restored. If the GMU was closed to hunting, they would need to notify everyone, since there are other hunting seasons open besides the special permit elk hunts. There is bear, grouse, deer, etc. All general seasons open to all. Where is the news release that lets people know about each GMU that has been closed to hunting?

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
Just no access into most of the unit, unless your not afraid of custom pinstripes.  :chuckle:

Offline highrisk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
Just no access into most of the unit, unless your not afraid of custom pinstripes.  :chuckle:
the waitress at gold creek told us that hunters were caught in the closed area of the natches unit elk hunting, they had a camp fire going.  That's crazy
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
White river gmu closed
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
Any actual facts?  Call me old fashioned I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw