collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Proper road hunting etiquette  (Read 9710 times)

Offline Mr.T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Proper road hunting etiquette
« on: September 10, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
I'm going to try my hand at going grouse hunting with my kids. I know you can't hunt on, across, or along the fire service roads but can you point me to where we know how far off the road we must be when hunting?  I've shot grouse when hiking, hunting deer and once coyote but that's always been in the woods and I'm not a road hunter.

Now that I'll have my kids...how far off the road must we go when we spot grouse???

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
Re: Proper road hunting etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:01:36 AM »
There is no minimum distance that is required to be off the road.

What the state law/game regs say is restricted, is shooting from or along a public road in a negligent manner....

I believe that it is Forest Service (someone please jump in if wrong), does not allow shooting from a road, but that only applies on their roads.

WDFW FAQ:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/70/What+are+the+rules+about+shooting+from+a+road%3F
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:31:10 AM »
If a vehicle is coming uphill towards you move over and give them the right away unless they have a pullout and you don't.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 07:13:11 AM »
Nothing beats coming around the corner to looking down a barrel of a gun with a poor grouse in the middle of the road between you too.   Then the guy is too fixated on that headshot to notice you, amped up as if it's a 200 inch Muley.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »
When you get out to shoot grouse. Close your doors.

I love coming around a corner and finding a truck with all the doors thrown open in the middle of the road and no one there.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 01:30:04 PM »
I think grouse hunting on all forest service roads is legal. Usually they're on the sides of the roads and as long as you feel like it's safe to shoot, just shoot it. Usually when you  get out of the car, they try to hide in the bushes, but they stay in the same spot. Just drive another 30 yards or so from where you see them, get out and shoot it, as long as it's safe.

Oh by the way, when you see one, there're usually a few more that are hanging out near that one, so be prepared to shoot them too .

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 02:02:17 PM »
They usually do a sting up in Winthrop every year with a stuffed grouse. I wonder what the sting is if it's legal.   

I miss Iceman.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
This thread is awesome. The in's and out's of proper road hunting.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »
They usually do a sting up in Winthrop every year with a stuffed grouse. I wonder what the sting is if it's legal.   

I miss Iceman.

Probably trying to catch people blasting grouse out the window of their vehicle. :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
I contemplated netting a couple out my window back in the day when I raised birds. Lol.  You don't exactly have to be sneaky.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »
1. Don't spill your beer.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline G-S

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »
#2 use your mirror as a rest

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
For Forest Service roads I'd get off the portion of the road that can be driven on and you should be fine. :tup:

https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-before-you-go/hunting

When on Forest Service land remember that:
•All firearms and bows with arrows should be cased and unloaded while in a recreation area or other public areas.
•Discharging a firearm (including a bow and arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a developed recreation site, a residence, or any place where people are likely to be.
•Shooting across bodies of water or a Forest Service road is prohibited.
•Shooting into or within any cave, mine or open shaft is prohibited.
•Private land is interspersed with public land and you must obtain written permission from the private landowner to hunt on their property. Obtain a map and use caution to ensure you don't inadvertently stray off public land onto private.
•Only portable stands or blinds are allowed. Check with your local ranger district for restrictions and time limits
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Badhabit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
Here's a question about road hunting ediquette or just primitive road travel in general. Let's say primitive road, fairly good ascent or decsent. One vehiclel going up and the other coming down. Only place wide enough is about 1/8 of a mile either up or down the road. Who has the right of way? Vehicle going up or vehicle coming down.

Offline silverbullet6oh

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »
Here's a question about road hunting ediquette or just primitive road travel in general. Let's say primitive road, fairly good ascent or decsent. One vehiclel going up and the other coming down. Only place wide enough is about 1/8 of a mile either up or down the road. Who has the right of way? Vehicle going up or vehicle coming down.

I think it depends on the situation. I ran into this when I was snowmobiling. I had an SUV and a snowmobile trailer loaded, along with my family in the vehicle. I was coming up a really big hill that was muddy and clay like. I saw another car coming down, when I was already started up the hill.

Had I stopped, I would have began to slid backwards with the trailer and possibly put my family in danger of an accident with the forestry. The car ahead of me did not stop and just keep coming down.

I was a little irritated as I had a decent load, and the other car was empty other than the driver and one.
passenger.

When we passed, we just about side swiped eachother, while he was honking at me as we passed. At the bottom of the hill, the guy in the car stopped and was looking back at me all pissed off. I stopped at the top of the hill and was waiting to see if he was going to get out and want to start something. Nothing came about it, but then I was wondering....... "How the heck did a car make it up here"?

I always slow down or stop when I come across another vehicle when on the trails, except that one situation I just explained. I feel that I rather would take a moment to figure out how me and the other vehicles will pass by each other, instead of assuming whether I am in the "right-of-way" or not. That's how accidents happen, and hot tempers get started. 

I just play it safe, no matter where the pull out is or if there is one.

Alot of ***holes on these trails

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »

I think it depends on the situation. I ran into this when I was snowmobiling. I had an SUV and a snowmobile trailer loaded, along with my family in the vehicle. I was coming up a really big hill that was muddy and clay like. I saw another car coming down, when I was already started up the hill.

Had I stopped, I would have began to slid backwards with the trailer and possibly put my family in danger of an accident with the forestry. The car ahead of me did not stop and just keep coming down.

I was a little irritated as I had a decent load, and the other car was empty other than the driver and one.
passenger.

When we passed, we just about side swiped eachother, while he was honking at me as we passed. At the bottom of the hill, the guy in the car stopped and was looking back at me all pissed off. I stopped at the top of the hill and was waiting to see if he was going to get out and want to start something. Nothing came about it, but then I was wondering....... "How the heck did a car make it up here"?

I always slow down or stop when I come across another vehicle when on the trails, except that one situation I just explained. I feel that I rather would take a moment to figure out how me and the other vehicles will pass by each other, instead of assuming whether I am in the "right-of-way" or not. That's how accidents happen, and hot tempers get started. 

I just play it safe, no matter where the pull out is or if there is one.

Alot of ***holes on these trails

I was always told the downhill vehicle has the right of way, pretty sure it was based on log truck traffic, but not positive.
Made sense to me since the down facing vehicle has a harder time stopping and backing up compared to the uphill facing vehicle.

Offline Badhabit

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
Baker, that's the way it was explained to me along time ago in Idaho. I don't know if it's written in any law books or not.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 11:14:43 AM »
I don't think there are any rules, or written laws anywhere regarding this. Its purely situational as far as I'm concerned. I've stopped and backed up, and down hills for people that I felt needed to be given the go ahead, and I have also pushed forward when I felt I was the one that needed it. SIlverbullet's story sounds like it was handled correctly by him. Once forward motion is started on a slippery hill, especially when towing, it can be downright dangerous to try and stop.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline spiononedawg

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »
Down hill traffic always has right of way, wether you are in the city or the woods. It is a matter of physics, down hill traffic has momentum. Certain situations require common sense though. In washington logging trucks always have right of way regardless of where they are positioned thats why they post signs at the bottom.

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
Don't have a shell in the chamber or magazine while driving.  That really isn't etiquette, but more of a law. 

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
Gross tonnage has ROW.
Also, boats under sail have ROW over powerboats.
Walking and shooting from the road are permissible.
While walking the road with our dog, I had a gamie check me and my son this grouse opener.
She was cool and professional.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 08:45:12 AM »
Gross tonnage has ROW.
Also, boats under sail have ROW over powerboats.
Walking and shooting from the road are permissible.
While walking the road with our dog, I had a gamie check me and my son this grouse opener.
She was cool and professional.
Shooting on a Forest Service road is not legal.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter