collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: High Hunt - Does, Bucks, Habitat, and movement  (Read 1912 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
High Hunt - Does, Bucks, Habitat, and movement
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »
Hey folks,

So this weekend I went on my second scouting trip for the high buck hunt in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, entering from east side.  On my first trip 2.5 weeks ago, I went after work and spent maybe 3.5 hours there total, was mostly exploring the terrain but saw 3 bucks, two of which were shooters, and zero does.  This trip, I spent a full day and a half in the same area and saw lots of does but no bucks at all. 

What should I take away from this?  Is this just normal movement fluctuations, where the boys and girls meander around and sometimes you'll see one and sometimes the other?  Or is this a seasonal thing, and I should look for bucks elsewhere when I go to hunt next weekend? 

There seemed to be plenty of great habitat (food/water/shelter) and overall I'm encouraged by the herd numbers in the area, but this is my first high buck hunt so I'm unfamiliar with how they'll be moving.  I didn't get to spend much time glassing in the evening this weekend due to rain and fog, so maybe the bucks are more active during the evening and the does and fawns are out during the morning and mid day?  Seems unlikely but I don't have my mind around their movements yet  :dunno:

Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: High Hunt - Does, Bucks, Habitat, and movement
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »
The bucks act differently as soon as they shed their velvet( approx. first part Sept). Their horns are not as sensitive and some will go to the timber to bed and be nocturnal. That's not the case for all but their are exceptions. I would definitely concentrate on dusk and dawn and hope for rain or cloudy nights. :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »
Thanks!  Why rain or cloudy nights?  Do the bucks tend to stay in the beds more through the night (and thus move more during the day) when it's rainy/cloudy?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:15:12 PM »
Full moon too.   :yeah:   

The deer were acting a bit different than usual. I contemplated if it had to do with the heavy smoke.

Offline ghostshell

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »
in the area mentioned in my experience does or no does.... dosnt really matter, either bucks like the area or not. the moon we just had, change in weather are factors when looking for them. they tend to bed in different spots with different weather, winds rain, heat, sun exposure etc.... time in the spot means a lot, watching them move, bed throughout a day cycle...i honestly have not seen any early first light bucks the last two weekends witch is bizarre in the spot i go. three weeks ago saw the usual routine. velvet or no velvet has never mattered in the spot i go. they usually have the same routine.i have seen the same routine the last weekend in september after the high hunt has past unaware oviously of people who could have been there when i am not to break routines....if you saw deer there imop they are still there until deep snow pushes them out. food, water near means little travel imop. keep at it and if you like the spot and it feels good why not try it? if its a bust big deal, its hunting not killing.....have fun and gain experience.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »
All good info above.  The deer will stay active longer into the morning and come out to feed just a bit earlier on rainy and heavy overcast days.

I'd suggest you purchase this book and give it a read.

/www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/098194230X/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1505187909&sr=8-1&keywords=Blacktail+the+science+of+the+hunt
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
Thanks for the tips folks!  Several people have emailed or messaged me as well and I really appreciate it.  This forum is awesome :).

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal