collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: King County seeks public comment on continued Island Center Forest deer hunt  (Read 2390 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/dnrp/newsroom/newsreleases/2017/September/08-ICF-deer.aspx

I don't hunt Island Center Forest much because I have private access on multiple islands in the south sound, but I do hunt it and it is arguably the best public access within short distance of Tacoma/Seattle for blacktail hunting.  We have taken deer out of that park and it was recently selectively cut and the habitat improvement is remarkable. 

If you can make this meeting, you better make it a point to get there.  Private access on any of the islands is slim to non-existent these days and if you don't already have access that you have had for decades and multiple good references - slim is probably not even there for you. 

I was on that property scouting a week ago and found large alders that were rubbed and little bucks don't rub big alders.  I have access on adjoining properties and it probably would serve my selfish interests not to have the Island Center Forest open for hunting, but I would not like to see more people shut out of having any public land to hunt.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
It sounds like the county is recommending that they extend the hunting for another five years.  I'm pretty sure that if they received enough negative comments from the anti-hunting community, they might reconsider.   Even though I've never hunted there, I still consider it every year.  I'd hate to see that opportunity disappear.  Some of you might want to consider sending them an email.

I sent in the following email to the POC ( KCParks.SEPA@kingcounty.gov ) listed at this link, page two:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgrah5dices7lf0/ICF_deer_hunt_SEPA_DNS_notice_090817.pdf?dl=0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sir,
  I am writing in order to voice my opinion, being that I most strongly support King County's recommendation to extend the deer hunting program in Island Center Forest for another five years.  This is a very important program that provides a wonderful recreational opportunity for regional hunters, yields an additional cash flow into island businesses, and also plays an important role in limiting the growth of the deer herd on Vashon Island. 

Please voice my opinion during any future discussions regarding whether this program should be extended again.

Sincerely,
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline 2labs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Or some wolves :dunno:
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman

It's rumored that coyotes were already released on the island to control the deer population.  The locals weren't impressed as cats, dogs, and chickens who had never experienced depredation turned out to be easy targets.

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
I think that the real solution here is obvious.
In order to control the deer herd and the nuisance coyote problem they are going to have to introduce grizzly bear onto the island.
Relocate two dozen or so from kodiak Alaska.
That should take care of the problems quickly.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members

It's rumored that coyotes were already released on the island to control the deer population.  The locals weren't impressed as cats, dogs, and chickens who had never experienced depredation turned out to be easy targets.

There have been missing cat and missing foo foo dog signs up all over Vashon for a couple years now, IDK if the coyotes were released or not, they could have swam over, but they are definitely out there in battalion strength now. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]