collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Elk behavior  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
2017 Elk behavior
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »
Well, just got home from 4 days of hiking my tail off and I didn't see 1 four legged critter. I put a lot of miles on my boots in the Lewis river unit and got into some nice areas I was almost positive would produce something, played the wind the best I could (really swirly in areas) they still eluded me. In areas before shooting light and out after dark. No bugles or cow/calf calls other then my own and another hunter I called in. Talked to a bunch of other guys hunting the unit and sounds like everyone said the same. Where did they all go? I hunted high up the mtn, middle of the mtn and lower. I tried to glass in the late mornings and early afternoons but glassing on the wet side is challenging. Did the cows have there calving ground lower? Did they just pack up and move out? I have no clue but I'm back home to come up with a new plan and see if I can get something figured out. I have a few more days to find a new area and hopefully fill my tag. Good luck everyone. I'll post a few pics I took. Baffled that I didn't see anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline npaull

• Sourdough
Re: 2017 Elk behavior
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »
I think the heat and sun have been tanking ungulate activity in W Washington for most of the season thus far... There's really been like half of one good day of hunting, at least out where I am... I got lucky on a deer this morning but really haven't been seeing a ton of action. We need some cold and rain!

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »
The heat really affected my mule deer hunt last week as well. Mid 90's to 100's on the east side. If I don't get something figured out it looks like tag soup.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:51:59 PM »
I had similar experiences in the 340 gmu this past weekend. We were on a small herd with a nice bull that we had scouted prior to opening day. On opening day hunters converged from everywhere and ran that herd into the timber before LST even started. Haven't seen hide nor hair since. The elk are not talking and seem almost completely nocturnal. I'll be back out fom Weds-Sun hunting on my bull tag again. Likely gonna have to change up locations completely since the sign and the animals just don't seem to be there.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
Same thing out here in 340. Heard the same from a few guys in 336,342, and teanaway. Has been hot and smokey . No bugles or cow chatter . Not even much fresh sign. Wallows don't seem to being hit but have seen a few fresh rubs. Good luck everyone .

Offline Killmore

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
I think the muzzy guys hit more of the rut then the archery guys do...I went for a hike up on quartz mountain on Sunday and it was pretty darn quiet. Weather has a lot to do with the elk behavior.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »
From everything I was seeing and not hearing I made the call to try and find a new unit. Completely nocturnal sounds right. I was out before light and after dark. Tried sitting up on a ridge after dark to hopefully hear a sound. Nothing. I thought I was on em for sure with the sign I saw. Time to start over.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »
I just spent 3 days in the west side and was out in the woods a bunch. Had zero response and saw 0 elk. Think the heat and smoke and pressure from closures moving other hunters in has a lot to do with it.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »
I think the muzzy guys hit more of the rut then the archery guys do...I went for a hike up on quartz mountain on Sunday and it was pretty darn quiet. Weather has a lot to do with the elk behavior.

Without question in typical years the Archery guys get more of the rut.  I spoke with Jason Phelps about this at a seminar regarding SW WA and he said in his years of muzzy he only heard a handfull of bugles.  They are much more vocal during Archery.   I think they are just aren't as vocal this year, it could be they are bunched up and don't need to talk?

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
Did you do any calling? My preferred method to hunt the early season is to have the elk tell me where they are. I will say that lots of pressure/trucks driving around/people calling tends to shut the elk up.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »
I called and tried everything I had in my bag. Called from ridges, different call sequences, estrous meow, called in another hunter (obvious cause it's all that responded, and he came down to me), raked trees, wind in my face, out before light back to the truck after dark. Couldn't find anyone to play with.

Offline G-S

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
Went out on Saturday and called in a small 5 and 2 cows they came in silent the bull was trying to push one of the cows around but she just ignored him saw 2 bulls Friday night with no cows so it might need to get a little cooler

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »
Looks like a good temp drop is coming for hopefully that gets them going good. Might be the peak between archery and muzzle :'(
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 05:54:14 PM »
I have heard 1 tiny feint bugle. I am for sure going to Idaho next year and will never buy a wa elk tag again. Hardly any elk in NE wa

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »
I have been hearing bugles and they have been responding to light cow calling. Had a chance at a 300" 6x6 on Sunday but blew it because i didn't set up very well. Had him at 20 yards. He came in really hot. The guy calling for me said it was odd he came in so hot...he didn't have any cows...there was one other bugle heard 5 minutes prior

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal