collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Elk behavior  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: 2017 Elk behavior
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 06:13:45 PM »
I have been hearing bugles and they have been responding to light cow calling. Had a chance at a 300" 6x6 on Sunday but blew it because i didn't set up very well. Had him at 20 yards. He came in really hot. The guy calling for me said it was odd he came in so hot...he didn't have any cows...there was one other bugle heard 5 minutes prior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you hunting the east side or west?

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 07:04:01 PM »
Called in 2 bulls this weekend. The first, Saturday night right at dark and came in silent on a run to bugles only. Got caught like a rookie with " my pants down "
The second was at 7:30 am Sunday. Came in silent to cow calls only and swung down wind and winded me just of range.
Never heard an Elk make a sound all weekend
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »
I have been hearing bugles and they have been responding to light cow calling. Had a chance at a 300" 6x6 on Sunday but blew it because i didn't set up very well. Had him at 20 yards. He came in really hot. The guy calling for me said it was odd he came in so hot...he didn't have any cows...there was one other bugle heard 5 minutes prior

Are you hunting the east side or west?

East side

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
Looks like we have some cooler weather coming in, hopefully that really kicks things off.

Offline summertime blues

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 08:14:12 PM »
Busted elk Monday morning bedded down that got wind.  Didn't see em just heard em getting outta dodge. This morning went back to the same spot with the wind right and small bull jumped up about 20 yards. No shot. Stopped him about 50 yards with a cow call but I was right out in the open like a dummy so he was gone. Saw LOTS of fresh sign in the places I went.

Super quiet except my feet tripping over everything which was deafening

Offline Vandal44

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 08:22:28 PM »
I went last weekend heard one bugle in the morning after I cow called and then nothing the rest of the day and Sunday was not good.  I will be off hunting all next week from the 16th to 24th it should be cooler and I am hoping the rut starts picking up.

Best of luck to everyone

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 06:21:28 AM »
Busted elk Monday morning bedded down that got wind.  Didn't see em just heard em getting outta dodge. This morning went back to the same spot with the wind right and small bull jumped up about 20 yards. No shot. Stopped him about 50 yards with a cow call but I was right out in the open like a dummy so he was gone. Saw LOTS of fresh sign in the places I went.

Super quiet except my feet tripping over everything which was deafening

Personally I don't mind making noise. Elk make noise and I'm trying to be an elk, so I think for the most part sneaking around like a predator makes them suspicious. When they get suspicious then they circle and wind. That being said everyone seems to be saying that the elk are coming in like ninjas, so maybe that rule doesn't apply this year.  :dunno:
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 06:50:24 AM »
We hiked, glassed, called. Elk were very quiet, and were locked down in timber for all daylight hours. Heard only two bugling bulls, one Saturday morning and one Saturday evening. Hunted high elevation east side.

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »
I have always hunted the Lewis River unit on St. Helens and have always got responses to calling. Last year after the first Muzzy season I could not get one response in the two weeks I was there. I probably put in average 8 miles a day and not one elk sound. Was pretty disappointing. Muzzy does get a good part of the late rut. I hunted Colorado for 5 years in the first two weeks of October and always had not problem getting bulls to respond. Headed to Idaho this year because of the lack of response where I hunter last year.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 07:37:21 AM »
I saw a herd of elk near the Vernita rest area yesterday. A decent branch bull, a spike and about 20 cow/calves. They were headed south to the burned area. I was surprised to see them so low with all the heat we've had. I'm hoping this cooler weather gets things going, highs in the upper 60s next week in our area!
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline Bigapplediams73

• Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
The 1s I have seen have been low close to highway. I park off the side of the road and hike in a bit. Only on Saturday and Sunday tho. Wet is good. Went back yesterday and nothing. Same spot just real hot. Let's pray for rain. Didn't respond to bull calls. Responded good to lost calf and spike squeals.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »
Looks like the weather is gonna shift in our favor next week.

Offline Kokanee

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »
I sure hope the weather changes quickly.  Hot, dry, and quiet.  Zero sign, not even fresh poop!  The fires and closures are putting a lot of pressure in areas not used to as much two legged activity which is pushing the critters off into the corners that either can't be gotten to, or require back country camps.  Had a blast, so a ton of awesome country, don't get me wrong, but at least a tease with a bugle here and there to keep the blood pumping!?

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »
I sure hope the weather changes quickly.  Hot, dry, and quiet.  Zero sign, not even fresh poop!  The fires and closures are putting a lot of pressure in areas not used to as much two legged activity which is pushing the critters off into the corners that either can't be gotten to, or require back country camps.  Had a blast, so a ton of awesome country, don't get me wrong, but at least a tease with a bugle here and there to keep the blood pumping!?

:yeah:  100% agree!

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Saw three rag horns looking for cows tonight...

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal