collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Colockum Archery Elk Hunt  (Read 22692 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: 2017 Colockum Archery Elk Hunt
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »
After that things cooled off but right at 3pm things started getting crazy again.  Multiple bulls sounding off and cows everywhere.  As we closed the gap and were swinging into position we ran into another hunter that was on the same elk.  Not wanting to mess him up and figuring he was just going to shoot a cow we swung wide and got below the elk figuring they would go down hill.  It was unbelievable there had to be 10 bulls bugling and probably 20 bulls total.  Many weren't bugling they were just running around trying to pick a stray cow.  There must have been over 100 cows.  We called in one really nice 6x6 to 32 yards but he came straight in and stood for 10 minutes only giving me a frontal shot.  When he turned to go I could stop him.  No worries tons of elk still going nuts.  All of a sudden it sounded like a stampede, I assumed the hunter above had shot or just spooked the elk.  At that point we had 7 different bulls come by but never got a shot.  We dropped down and did some more calling.  We got three different bulls to come in after that but no shots.  As we headed out we got on to one more bull.  We could get him to respond but after all the chaos he just wouldn't come any closer than 90 yards.  We decided to back out and come back in the morning.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2017, 07:12:18 PM »
High hopes for Wednesday but what we didn't realize was that we believe the other hunter had actually shot an elk and we think that he spent that night and maybe Wednesday morning packing meat out.  That pushed all of the elk down.  By the time we realized that it was midday so we moved down and waited for the elk to sound off again.  About 5pm they started to sound off.  It was just like the night before and there were so many bulls sounding off it was crazy.  I decided to just get right in the middle of it all and see what happened.  I had a really nice 5x5 at 60 yards but decided to hold off hoping for something bigger.  It sounded like there were some giants in the mix.  There were two bulls just screaming and it sounded like they were close, then there was what sounded like a car crash.  I moved closer quickly and through the trees and brush watched the most amazing battle I have ever seen.  Each bull would bugle and then they would run at each other and lock antlers.  It looked kind of like two rams colliding.  I kept getting closer but just couldn't get a shot.  There were elk bugling and going nuts all the way up until dark.  Of course the bulls walked right in the open past my buddies.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »
Thursday was do or die, right away an elk bugled and walked right in front of me at 138 yards.  Couldn't get him to come in but we could hear more elk in the distance.  I worked my way in to them all day and heard another epic battle but wasn't able to see it.  I called one 6x6 in to 30 yards but he busted as soon as he saw me.  I followed a herd of over 100 elk out of one canyon and over the top of another ridge.  I think they got bumped by another hunting and high tailed it out of the area.

We decided it was getting late and so we decided to hunt our way out.  On our way out it started to rain and hail, no fun.  Off in the distance about a mile out of our way we heard a bugle.  Last day, last two hours....yep, gotta go for it.  We took the detour and it paid off, we found three different bulls all with cows.  I worked my way towards where I had seen them last and towards the bugles.  I was moving with purpose as I was running out of time.  I actually passed by the elk and when they bugled again they were to my right and behind me.  I caught a cow headed uphill to where I had just come down the ridge.  I quickly scanned around and saw a great elk facing right at me about 130 yards away.  His antlers were sticking out from either side of the tree, it looked like he might not be able to see me so I just started walking right at him.  I got to 80 yards and he finally caught my motion.  He turned to go away from me but I knew he would follow the cows.  I headed uphill towards the cows and came over the top with a  cow moving to my right at 60 yards.  Another cow followed, then a decent 6x6 stopped right at 60 yards but I could see the big boy coming right behind.  I got greedy and decided to pass the 6x6.  Next was a rag horn and then the big guy.  I couldn't believe it I had hunted for 12 days hard and now with only 90 minutes left in my season I was about to tag out.  I drew as the bull stepped into my opening.  I cow called and he stopped broadside.  This was really going to happen, 60 yards on the money, chip shot.  Just as I center my pin, level my sight and hit the trigger on my release the whole world slows down and goes all "Matrix" and Keauno Reeves on me.  The cows turn and come running right back at the bull, he spooks and starts to turn.  My arrow is now going straight for his neck.  He keeps spinning and it is going to miss just to his left but now one of the cows is going to step right into the arrow.  As I am trying to process everything that is happening my cell phone that is blue toothed to my hearing aids starts ringing.  Luckily the arrow passes by the cow clean miss and all the elk head south.  I follow the elk for the next 90 minutes but they don't stop until I think they got to blues and home of Bigfoot.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:38 PM »
Here is a photo of the one from the last day.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2017, 07:46:24 PM »
Big thanks to all of the huntwa members that offered to help me on this hunt and sent photos and intel on elk from all over the unit.  I hope you all understand that this hunt wasn't about getting the biggest elk in the unit, it was about the experience and doing it where I hunt every year.

I got the most amazing experience.  Everyday and after every experience that didn't work out when I was down about not closing the deal my buddy would say " yeah but that was awesome and we don't have to pack anything out of that hole."  He was right, every time was amazing.

Here's the other thing.  I am not a huge church guy but I do truly believe that everything happens for a reason.  Even my first short lived terrible marriage had a purpose.

During this hunt there were so many close calls where one small thing or another happened that threw filling a tag out the window I realize that for whatever reason I was just not supposed to fill this tag.

It was from the very beginning about the experience and in the end that is all it ended up being about.  It wasn't about inches of antlers on the wall, it was time spent in the woods with my best friends and family.

To all those that help and shared the experience either in the field, via text, via PM or via this this thread, I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did.

To my wife and daughters, thank you for letting me spend so much time away.  I promise to not miss another volleyball game for the rest of the season.

To my youngest, dad is in great shape for your deer hunt next weekend.  And too my oldest we are going to give those cows heck come muzzy season the week after that.

Maybe the whole point was "how much wild game does one guy need?"  If my kids fill their tags it will be so much sweeter than if I would have filled mine and if they just have the same great experience that I had that will be just as sweet as well.

Sorry the story took so long to get out, I hope you enjoyed it half as much as I did.

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt! That's the action I long for every September!   :tup:

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
Great reading.. hunts like that are great adventures. I hunt close to the same area and the quads, motorcycle guys try to cut the corners all the time. I find them to. Way to put it all out there!!! :tup:

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
 :tup: thats hunting. You went all out and didn't settle for par. My hats off to that. :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
Teal shirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
Seriously. You worked your butt off and never gave up. Your girls should be proud of you for that. I’m sure they are. I’m happy you got the experience although I was really praying you would kill a bull. We were pulling for you all the while knowing you’d make the most of it however it played out. Congrats on an awesome hunt.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »
Teal shirt?

The field photos would have been epic. Not sure it would have erased the memory or @coachcw but they would have been epic.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »
Thanks guys.  No regrets, definitely a couple of what ifs.  I will say that I had plenty of opportunity.  I think it is better to have had all the opportunity and walk away with a tag in my pocket than to have not even had an opportunity.

If I second guess my decisions I will just drive myself crazy after waiting and dreaming of this tag for so long.

To keep myself sane I am just going to be happy have had the opportunity and will relish all of the experiences that I got to share with my buddies.  Good news is they are still building points, hopefully one of them will draw soon.

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »
Congrats Rainier! That was a great hunt. Really enjoyed reading that. Lots of excitement. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2017, 08:53:50 PM »
What a hunt! You got alot out of it even without a bull.

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
Great Hunt. You gave it an excellent effort! Thank you for taking the time to share your story!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]