collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzleloader popularity  (Read 4123 times)

Offline cohochemist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Muzzleloader popularity
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »
I was reading through previous year harvest reports and noticed muzzleloading consistently has 1.5-3x fewer hunters than archery seasons.  I was a bit surprised by this considering I grew up in a state where muzzleloading is quite popular.   Are there specific reasons why so few people shoot muzzleloaders?   I personally prefer this method and have taken most of my deer with my CVA.  This will be my first year chasing Elk, looking forward to the challenge!

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Muzzleloader popularity
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »
Historically there were very few units open for muzzleloader season. That changed a couple years ago, so that's not as much of an issue anymore, but there's still a lack of hunting opportunity for the late season. Early season is only 7 days. Archery has longer seasons and a greater number of GMU's to hunt, and the best GMU's.

So I think a lack of opportunity is one reason archery is more popular. Another reason is probably the fact that muzzleloaders are not the best choice in wet weather.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:22:02 PM by bobcat »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »
General Elk Season, Eastern Muzzleloader: October 7-13 (7 days)
General Elk Season, Eastern Archery: September 9-21 (13 days)

Archery season is nearly twice as long, and earlier when elk are more likely to be rutting and responding to calls.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline klickman

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
It's all about opportunities. Limited for muzzy hunters. To be honest muzzy hunters get screwed based on tags and season length for both deer and elk. Also not much for late season elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tule, the other white meat.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
 :yeah: Yup I am still a muzzle guy if I don't get a multi tag. They nuked our early season hunt here and we don't have a muzzle elk season in either 382/388. 388 has rifle and archery, 382 only has rifle :bash: You would think they could do more then just a single elk season in a unit.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline cohochemist

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 01:41:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

I grew up in Nebraska were the muzzleloader deer season is very generous, plus we could use during rifle and special late season hunts.  This worked to our advantage because much of the very limited public land around Lincoln and Omaha prohibited high power rifles but would allow muzzleloaders; too many houses, not enough trees to stop wayward bullets...  During general rifle season, the deer would actually hide out on the public land rather than risk it in a farmer's corn field.  Needless to say, muzzleloading became quite popular with me and my hunting buddies!  Enough so that I traded in my archery and rifle equipment years ago before moving to WA.   

So, how far removed from the peak Elk rut is muzzy season?  Am I wrong to assume you would see more movement in early Oct. compared to November with the westside rifle season?  I am largely a muzzy guy and would prefer to stick with my black-powder rather than dropping $300-600 bucks on new rifle or bow.   Or, should I do an equipment upgrade for next year? 

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:07:26 AM »

Muzzy still doesn't get the seasons or the number of units but it has improved.  There were a lot of new muzzy hunters last season with the opening of a few new GMU's in the early season. For the areas I hunt it got much busier.  A good number of archery guys I know tried to deflect attention sayin muzzy got the peak of the rut... We didn't my buddies had bulls screeming and we had silence.  Not saying we didn't have chances.   But due to the number of hunters our season and access to special permits are limited.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »
I've been on one muzzy hunt and it was a special permit cow hunt.  I can say without doubt it was the biggest pumpkin patch festival I have every been involved (roughly similar to opening morning at the Samish unit if you are a waterfowl guy).

There are better hunts, but I don't know that it really gives a guy less competition than modern.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 04:54:05 PM »
It depends on the unit and for me it depends on whether I have a MS tag. Where I hunt deer anyway, the muzzy season is the perfect balance between not having the pumpkin patch and not having to draw the bow to take a shot. If I don't tag out during archery then I bust out the hawken for muzzy.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »
It depends on the unit and for me it depends on whether I have a MS tag. Where I hunt deer anyway, the muzzy season is the perfect balance between not having the pumpkin patch and not having to draw the bow to take a shot. If I don't tag out during archery then I bust out the hawken for muzzy.

I hunted modern elk for years. Than switched to muzzy about 6 years ago.
No way I see as many other hunters in the woods as modern.
I think I saw 6 guys last year in the woods I didn't know. I have gone days without seeing another hunter outside of my partners.
I like muzzy for that reason less folks.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 05:21:41 PM »
I went from modern to muzzy to archery primarily to get away from the crowds. When I started there were way fewer options for muzzy guys and the woods were almost as crowded during muzzy season as they were during modern season.

Given that early muzzy season is still during the rut I can understand why it is shorter. Rutting bulls are way easier to kill than the non-rutting variety so if the season were longer I think there would be a lot more dead elk.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]