collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: is this an illegal treestand?  (Read 15028 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: is this an illegal treestand?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 08:24:26 AM »
I cannot believe that this has not been brought up before on here.

There are lots of structures like that in the Nile.  Old wood tree stands, platforms, I come across them every year. On the ground ,in a tree ,everywhere.

And what is the difference between that and some two seat toilet on some groups favorite camping spot.

If that  stand is illegal so are all the rest.

I don't think it should be allowed on public land. Climber or ground blinds for the week ya hunt no problem, they go away.

Having said that, I got better things to do with my hunting time than worry about some hunters construction project.

I was thinking that the other day with meat poles and frames that are left up.  Where is the line?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
and..... those that are left up, are they implying ownership?  How do these folks feel when they come in and there is another tarp one "their" framework

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »
Wonder what would happen if someone were to beat the guy to his blind in the morning?    :o

My thought is I wouldn't report it until after the season is over. The guy obviously went to a lot of work, let him get one season hunting out of it, and then the USFS can remove it. Unless of course, if the guy removes it after the season himself.

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »
It's trash in a tree,no different than trash on the ground except the effort it takes to remove it.There is tons of trash littering our woods.From the Busch cans that are everywhere along the roads to piles of shotgun shells and whats left of the targets that are shot to pieces.Piles of house trash,roofing and construction debris.Washers and dryers and old abandoned cars.The ONE thing all of these things share is they were left there by someone with a WHO CARES attitude.I also have better thing to do with my hunting time.I pick up every beer can and empty half case box I see along the road while hunting.Why?Because I care!If we all did this the place wouldn't look like a dump.Show some pride folks,wave your flag high and pick up after yourself.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
I use sisal baler twine if I need to make a structure, ground blind or corrals to exclude cattle from a small area with a camera in it.

Offline boneill

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 08:40:08 AM »
Sure looks like a permanent tree stand to me. The regs for public lands here in WA are pretty close to my home state of MN...definitely illegal to have a stand like that. BUT, in MN, you can't go 200 yards on public land w/o seeing a permanent stand. They're illegal, but I have never seen any sort of enforcement on them. In MN, some guys will drive their 4-wheeler right to the step, unload their propane sunflower heater and radio, and sit up there for a few hours of 'hunting'. You would be surprised how successful some of them can be!

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2017, 09:34:27 AM »
Another thing to consider is the "Leave No Trace" ethos that a lot of people try to follow, especially hikers, people who DO NOT HUNT but enjoy OUR public lands as much as you and I.

Ive read hike reports on the Washington Trails Associations website where hikers are aghast at coming upon old hunting camps where "stuff" is left behind.

It makes us look bad and that we somehow think the forest is more ours,then theirs. :twocents:

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
This what Tannerite was invented for. After the hunting season some enterprising vigilante can blow it to smithereens and upload the video to youtube and make a fortune on the views. Just make sure to pick up the pieces. Doing God's work, one day at a time.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
Whatever tree stand you're talking about must be camouflaged very well.  I can't see any tree stand in those pictures.   :dunno:

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 10:32:08 AM »
Whatever tree stand you're talking about must be camouflaged very well.  I can't see any tree stand in those pictures.   :dunno:

The stand is easier to see if you stand on your head while viewing it. His camo is not three dimensional .

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
and..... those that are left up, are they implying ownership?  How do these folks feel when they come in and there is another tarp one "their" framework

I will let you know in about three weeks. If it goes as we have planned, we picked a new spot before we left last year and there was a frame there. Plus a huge mess of broken bottles which we cleaned up.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 11:35:12 AM »
Nice stand. I'd sure like to stumble into it during a severe rain/snow storm. 
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
I cannot believe that this has not been brought up before on here.

There are lots of structures like that in the Nile.  Old wood tree stands, platforms, I come across them every year. On the ground ,in a tree ,everywhere.

And what is the difference between that and some two seat toilet on some groups favorite camping spot.

If that  stand is illegal so are all the rest.

I don't think it should be allowed on public land. Climber or ground blinds for the week ya hunt no problem, they go away.

Having said that, I got better things to do with my hunting time than worry about some hunters construction project.

100% agree
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
Regarding the legality on NFS lands, have you guys witnessed what kind of modifications rock climbers have made? Trails of expansion bolts have been drilled, even in wilderness areas, and the NFS (in practice, not necessarily in policy) doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Ummmmmmmmmm a trail of bolts up a rock face is hardly analogous to a stand like this. 

Besides, the "what about those other guys who do things wrong??" argument has no bearing on whether or not this kind of tree stand is OK.

So, it's OK to leave stuff in the NF and wilderness areas, depending on the severity? You're all excited about the tree stand but the bolts are no big deal. All due respects, YNoob, but I've never before known you to support double standards. We're talking about a stand which can (and should), be removed at the end of the season. Now, if it's not removed, then enforcement should be involved. I have little problem with this if it's done within the rules. If you don't like the look of it, move 30 yards in any direction and it's gone.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline croix

• Sourdough
  • 2005 Blacktail
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
From the USFS web site:

"•Only portable stands or blinds are allowed. Check with your local ranger district for restrictions and time limits."

From the WDFW web site:

"Building blinds, tree stands, camps -- no digging pits to create waterfowl blinds; no cutting trees or attaching wire, staples or nails to trees to build blinds, stands, camps; all non-natural materials used must be removed at end of hunting season; unattended blinds are available to public on “first-come-first-serve” basis; camp structures must be removed at end of trip."

I'm sure some legal wrangler could find a technicality (doesn't say anything about screws or bolts) but I believe that the blind posted violates the intent of the rules for both USFS and WDFW.

I would probably report it. I find this similar to finding ATVs behind gates that are specifically closed to motorized traffic. I have better ways to spend my hunting day and the time and effort required to report shouldn't be necessary, but it's worth it to me. Not that I am holier than thou and need to be the enforcer of rules, but I genuinely worry about losing ALL access to areas because of the few that can't follow the rules.

-croix
Live your life in such a way that if someone were to speak poorly of you, nobody would believe them.

Browning A-Bolt II, 30-06
Hoyt Alphamax 32, 70/28

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]