collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: White Pass Outfitters Review..  (Read 8663 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
White Pass Outfitters Review..
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:37:57 AM »
I just returned from my elk hunt, in which I hired White Pass Outfitters for a supplied drop camp. I wanted to give a review just in case anyone is thinking about using Kent and his Outfit.
   I first contacted Kent via PM here on Hunt-WA inquiring about a supplied drop camp. I had a million questions and he happily answered every one for me. One of the biggest concerns I had was, within his guiding area, I hadn't ever hunted and was looking for a "true wilderness experience". He assured me that he had a perfect spot for us with our OTC Westside archery bull tags
   We agreed that there would be 3 guys on the trip and he said we could stay at the camp as long as we wanted. We decided on an 8 day hunt (packing in the morning before the season started). I payed Kent a deposit of 1/3 the cost of the hunt and quickly got a receipt in the mail. We were now officially "on the books" !!
   Throughout the year many questions popped up and I would either email or txt Kent my questions and he was always quick to return with answers. Just about a month before the hunt we spoke on the phone and discussed the area, tactics, gear and when and where to meet up for the hunt. Everything was explained crystal clear and everybody was feeling great about the hunt!
    We arrived at the meeting spot late the night before and just camped out next to the car. Kent said he would be meeting us between 6:00-7:00 am. He was very prompt and was on the spot right at 6:15am..
    I was amazed at how quickly he was able to unload the mules (4 of them) and the 4 horses and have all of them ready for the trail. We got everything packed in the bags for the ride in, adjusted stirrups and we were quickly on the trail headed into camp. Kents Mules are as solid as they come and his horses made for a nice ride.. On a side note, I absolutely do not enjoy riding horses, but they were pretty calm and extremely good on the trail!
    We got to camp just as my knees and butt couldn't take anymore so it was perfect! At camp, was a very nice wall tent equipped with large cots and very nice, thick bedrolls on top! There was a heater buddy (no fires this year) a lantern with plenty of propaine for both! There was also a nice little stove, very new cast iron skillets, dishes, coffee pot, coffee cups, plates.... Basically you name it, and we had it.. Kent also left us with 12 gallons of fresh drinking water! Great start to the hunt! At the camp there was also nice camp chairs for us all and a small table to enjoy dinners out under the stars.
   Kent made sure we were all set, gave us the lay of the land and said he would come check on us on Wednesday (we were dropped off on Friday). He also told us that if we got a bull (or any animal for that matter) to just give him a txt and he'd come get it out for us...
    Wednesday rolled around and we had still not gotten anything and just like he said he would, he stopped by camp to check in (we hunted the morning and came by camp for a little breakfast).. We chatted for a bit he gave us some encouragement and he was back on the trail!
    We hunted hard and on the last morning I was lucky enough to tag out on a bull.
Unfortunately Kent was most likely on his way up to get us already and I was unable to let him know we had an elk to pack out... He was super stoked for us when he got to camp and was actually able to still get us, our gear and the bull out in one trip.. Kent was even nice enough to drop my bull off at the meat locker on his way home as I couldn't fit all the gear, people and elk in my jeep!
   I've honestly got ZERO complaints about anything on this trip! Kent did everything he said he would for us and then some! We all had a blast! Camp was great and we had a fun safe trip! We're already talking about next year!
    If anyone wants to chat more about our experience with Kent and White Pass Outfitters, please PM me and I'll give you my number and we can chat more about it!
Big thanks to Kent for everything and running a solid operation!
   -Tim

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: White Pass Outfitters Review..
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
Great review, Thank you

and congrats on the bull.  I hope you have a thread about him on here at somepoint, or add to this one.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
I think we all need to see pics of that bull, and congrats!

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
Great review, thanks for sharing.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:25:24 AM »
Sounds like a very fun time!! Congrats on your bull.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
The review is good to hear. I may want do a drop camp up there sometime.
Congrats. :tup:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
Great review, congrats on your bull!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
Solid review, thanks!  How much pressure from other hunters did you guys have? 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
Good stuff. I've talked to him a bunch about my coming goat hunt and even knowing I wouldn't be a paying customer, the guy has been nothing but generous with his advice and input.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »
Great review, Thank you

and congrats on the bull.  I hope you have a thread about him on here at somepoint, or add to this one.

I think we all need to see pics of that bull, and congrats!

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,217872.msg2904760.html#msg2904760
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
There honestly wasn't a lot of other pressure in the area he put us.. There were of course other hunters in the area. And we ran into all of them at one point or another.. Two camps had there own horses and camps. One camp was about 3.5 miles away and another was tucked away about a mile and a half away. All the other hunters were super cool though, we all discussed where we'd be doing most of our hunting and after that we all just sort of stayed to our own areas as discussed..Every bugle we hear was always a real elk on the other end !
    We saw hikers/and backpackers more than hunters. They were all very nice too and asked lots of questions about the hunting.. I think it's impossible to ever really get away from other hunters anymore, but this was probabaly about as close as one can get. Such a great experience for my first time ever hiring an outfitter! I'm definitely doing it again sometime!

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
And I did post a pic of my bull in the 2017 bulls, but I'm also going to write up a story as it was such a cool hunt! Of the 3 of us, we ALL had a chance at shooting a bull.. I was just the lucky one to connect this time out.

Offline gallion_t

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
What GMU were you hunting in and how many miles did they pack you in? Congrats on the bull!

Offline The Fin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: The Fin
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
Sounds like a great time.  It was nice to read a good review as hiring an outfitter is always a shot in the dark.  Congrats on your bull.  :tup:
Life Member RMEF
Life Member NRA
Ducks Unlimited
Washington State Bowhunters

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »
I've corresponded with WPO and he has been very generous with some information for a hunt that I'm not hiring a guide on. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal