Author Topic: 1  (Read 7957 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Exposed to the elements?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »
That's what I thought.
I wonder how many guys use 209's for bear?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 05:52:45 PM »
Like I said before, I don't know much about MLs,but what is so bad about a 209.

Too modern or reliable would be my guess?  :chuckle:

Offline dawhunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »
When your hunting the bolt would be cocked and the gun on safe, therefore it would be open to the elements and you need to get rid of the 209 ignition.You don't want to be cocking your gun while a deer or ?? is standing there looking at you
Bob

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:16:35 AM by dawhunt »
Bob

Offline ABugg

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »
"(5) Muzzleloading firearms used during a modern firearm season are
not required to meet ignition, sight, or double barrel restrictions.
1/20/09 11:23 AM [ 4 ] OTS-2145.1..." 

This is a proposed change to the current regs, it will likely be approved for the 2009+ seasons.

You can find a link back on the Muzzleloader Hunting page from this site.  Scroll down until you see the thread; the link is from the first post.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »
It's already set up so that you can use a scope on a ML during modern season.

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
When your hunting the bolt would be cocked and the gun on safe, therefore it would be open to the elements and you need to get rid of the 209 ignition.You don't want to be cocking your gun while a deer or ?? is standing there looking at you
Bob

Your right.In the top pick the bolt is cocked and the cap would be exposed to the elements.
In the pick where he drew the yellow circle it is in the fired position.So it doesnt matter.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »
Bob

Your right.In the top pick the bolt is cocked and the cap would be exposed to the elements.
In the pick where he drew the yellow circle it is in the fired position.So it doesnt matter.

So your saying the rules should say that the cap needs to be exposed to the elements only when your ready to fire ??  :dunno:
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline dawhunt

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 05:45:15 AM »
I'm saying the gun will be cocked and ready and on safe when hunting and that the cap would be exposed to the elements !!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats the law open to the elements.
what don't you understand about that ??????????

When the gun is in your car the cap MUST be removed !!!!!!!!!!!! or its a big TICKET

Bob
Bob

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
I'm saying the gun will be cocked and ready and on safe when hunting and that the cap would be exposed to the elements !!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats the law open to the elements.

When the gun is in your car the cap MUST be removed !!!!!!!!!!!! or its a big TICKET

Bob

What I don't understand is when the rules state that the nipple has to be "Exposed to the elements", Does that mean only at the time you are ready to fire and all other times (like walking down a trail) the nipple and cap can be covered ?? Or does that mean the nipple weather there is a cap on it or not has to be "Exposed to the elements" at all times (In the car, walking down the trail, climbing a tree, etc....?? Just trying to clarify !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 08:08:23 AM »
The new wording (see below) prohibits any weapon that is capable of covering the cap.  I take that to mean any time, ready to fire or not, if the cap can be covered by a part of the weapon it is not legal.

Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion using original style percussion caps that fit on the nipple and are exposed to the weather.  "Exposed to the weather" means the percussion cap or the frizzen must be visible and not capable of being enclosed by an integral part of the weapon proper.

Offline Shannon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »
We did have this discussion a few years ago. I was told by a F & W employee that I only had to follow the restrictions during muzzle loader seasons and that it did not apply during modern rifle seasons. I wrote her name down in my 2007 regs and still have it somewhere. I can't remember who it was but a member on here basically said I was a *censored* and wrong and would get a ticket if caught. I just let it go and hunted during modern with my scoped muzzle loader. I have talked to local game wardens and that was there interpretation also. I am not going to keep calling WDFW until I find someone that says it is illegal. The first sentence of the muzz regulations says that it has to comply during muzzle loader season and I interpret that I can throw the rest out the window when I am hunting during modern season. It only makes sense to me. If I want to make the sport more challenging by limiting the effectiveness of my weapon during modern why would that be illegal? What would be next, outlawing archery during modern seasons?

Offline dawhunt

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 08:02:21 AM »

Bob

What I don't understand is when the rules state that the nipple has to be "Exposed to the elements", Does that mean only at the time you are ready to fire and all other times (like walking down a trail) the nipple and cap can be covered ?? Or does that mean the nipple weather there is a cap on it or not has to be "Exposed to the elements" at all times (In the car, walking down the trail, climbing a tree, etc....?? Just trying to clarify !!

When the gun is loaded and capped it must be open to the elements !!!!!!!! even if your going to the bathroom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob
Bob

Offline ABugg

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
The key words are "...an integral part of the weapon proper."  This means the cap cannot be enclosed by the bolt or other at anytime.  It doesn't mean the weapon is legal if you hunt with the bolt open, if when you close the bolt the cap is enlcosed.  The easiest test is that if you can see the cap when the bolt or action is closed then it is probably legal; I cannot think of any exceptions.  This doesn't say anything about after market covers etc...so these would be legal. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]